• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

National Signing Day Recap

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Having had the chance to look at more offensive video today I begin to see the possibility of "recruiting day silence"...as in the case of Jela Duncan.

Upon more review of highlights and then listening to the coach today I'd have to say that Domonique Gibson is slated for a very real shot at Tailback.

Gibson may be the "blessing in disguise" to today's loss of Duncan. That would be most typical of Deacon recruiting.

Having seen the footage I concur with Domonique's high school staff who believes he is a runningback. He's definitely a candidate for RB and bears striking resemblance to the Bernard kid at unc (as much as it fkin pains me to make that comparison)

I think he's gonna be a Tailback, folks.

----

Other notes going forward : Wake's luck continued down the stretch as an otherwise "long-gone" (Stanford) prospect was cut loose due to injury as the Cardinal had other top flight's
waiting in the wings. The staff is taking the "slow road" but the kid is progressing rapidly...still, a rs season may likely loom. Make no mistake,Wake had lots of good fortune-timing in landing Harris :) This is a big-time physique-guy who can really motor...his misfortune became Wake's blessing which,in the end, may be a huge blessing for both.

Jared Crump turned down an offer to play WR at the University of GEORGIA.

'nuff said for the "Cloud Piercer"...goal line Gold with All-World Hops to be specially brewed by Galloway and Co.... ;)

...later :)

Last edited:
Having had the chance to look at more offensive video today I begin to see the possibility of "recruiting day silence"...as in the case of Jela Duncan.

Upon more review of highlights and then listening to the coach today I'd have to say that Domonique Gibson is slated for a very real shot at Tailback.

Gibson may be the "blessing in disguise" to today's loss of Duncan. That would be most typical of Deacon recruiting.

Having seen the footage I concur with Domonique's high school staff who believes he is a runningback. He's definitely a candidate for RB and bears striking resemblance to the Bernard kid at unc (as much as it fkin pains me to make that comparison)

I think he's gonna be a Tailback, folks.

----

Other notes going forward : Wake's luck continued down the stretch as an otherwise "long-gone" (Stanford) prospect was cut loose due to injury as the Cardinal had other top flight's waiting in the wings. The staff is taking the "slow road" but the kid is progressing rapidly...still, a rs season may likely loom. Make no mistake,Wake had lots of good fortune-timing in landing Lewis. This is a big-time physique-guy who can really motor...his misfortune became Wake's blessing which,in the end, may be a huge blessing for both.

Jared Crump turned down an offer to play WR at the University of GEORGIA.

'nuff said for the "Cloud Piercer"...goal line Gold with All-World Hops to be specially brewed by Galloway and Co.... ;)

...later :)

Lectro - you mean Harris (injury) or Lewison?
Wouldn't be surprised to see Gibson at tailback if needed, but Grobe made several very strong compliments about Wilhite........really likes him. He also was pumped about our 2 safeties - Gibson and Janvion - said they are both players.
Very pleased with our 3 OLs although they will all redshirt.
Most likely true freshmen to play next year are Lewison, Matthews, Jones, the TEs and Wilhite.

Lastly, everyone is expected to get Bigger, Stronger, Faster.

Overall, a solid class that will add quite a bit of depth and could/should also have a few future stars in it.

Lectro - you mean Harris (injury) or Lewison?
Wouldn't be surprised to see Gibson at tailback if needed, but Grobe made several very strong compliments about Wilhite........really likes him. He also was pumped about our 2 safeties - Gibson and Janvion - said they are both players.
Very pleased with our 3 OLs although they will all redshirt.
Most likely true freshmen to play next year are Lewison, Matthews, Jones, the TEs and Wilhite.

Excuse me... "Harris". Lewison is the one most likely to see time in 2012.

I agree...in his praise of Wilhite's toughness there appeared a glint in the Coach's eye...also duly noted that he and Mac and staff by extension "want Josh (Harris) to succeed as badly as anybody else" and are "hoping he puts 2011 behind him"

I'm just thinking aloud "what do you do if Gibson arrives, you hand him the
football and he turns out to be a real good runningback?"

Last edited:
I really like our class and I just think me and a lot of other people just need a day to put the disappointment of getting spurned by some guys behind us. I never thought we had a realistic shot with guys like T-Rob in the past. However, something about the recruitment of Quinshad Davis seemed different and I actually thought we were going to get him. Bummer he is going to UNC of all the places it stings.

Personally, I hope Wilhite is a player at RB because I want Gibson to stay at S. Him and Janvion would be nice combo. Im no expert but I dont understand why Janvion didnt get more love in recruiting. From his tapes I was real impressed.

Do we really expect Donatell to play LB? 6'5 and with his body type I dont see it.

I really like our class and I just think me and a lot of other people just need a day to put the disappointment of getting spurned by some guys behind us. I never thought we had a realistic shot with guys like T-Rob in the past. However, something about the recruitment of Quinshad Davis seemed different and I actually thought we were going to get him. Bummer he is going to UNC of all the places it stings.

Personally, I hope Wilhite is a player at RB because I want Gibson to stay at S. Him and Janvion would be nice combo. Im no expert but I dont understand why Janvion didnt get more love in recruiting. From his tapes I was real impressed.

Do we really expect Donatell to play LB? 6'5 and with his body type I dont see it.

Could be a rush 3-4 OLB. Only needs to get to 210-220. With his speed he could do it.

He did have offers from Colorado and Nebraska.

He's also a good passer (obviously).
Could put him in as a punter..........he could kick it, run it or pass it.

Not playing for Jim Grobe he won't.

He's also a good passer (obviously).
Could put him in as a punter..........he could kick it, run it or pass it.

Did you watch his highlight film, I don't think he threw the ball more than 5 yards down field ever. Don't get me wrong I am stoked to have him and but I bet campanaro ends his wake career with more pass attempts than this guy.

Dont know where Donatell will end up but he could be like Audi Cole who just graduated from NCSU. Come in as a HS QB at 6'5 200ish lbs but not really a good thrower. is the best athlete on the team. Put him at LB beef him up and hopefully he ends up weighing 250 and is a damn good LB his last few seasons. Has obviously worked in the past but with only seeing video its hard to tell if he has the frame to carry that kind of weight.

I was a bit disappointed to learn that Coach is committed to the 3-4 and recruited with that scheme in mind. I was hoping to return to the 4-3. Really doesn't matter which scheme if we can only generate some kind of pressure on the QB; but, it would be good if we could do that with our defensive front.

Could be a rush 3-4 OLB. Only needs to get to 210-220. With his speed he could do it.

Has Grobe indicated that the 3-4 is here to stay? It seems like it was a change inspired by personnel, but not by schematic preference. With the lack of DTs coming in, it looks like the 3-4 is the defense of the future. It does seem a little un-Grobe-like though.

Has Grobe indicated that the 3-4 is here to stay? It seems like it was a change inspired by personnel, but not by schematic preference. With the lack of DTs coming in, it looks like the 3-4 is the defense of the future. It does seem a little un-Grobe-like though.

He commented that the 3-4 best suits the offenses that we are facing and thus he sounded committed to it, at least for the foreseeable future.

He commented that the 3-4 best suits the offenses that we are facing and thus he sounded committed to it, at least for the foreseeable future.

Correct.
Grobe stated that more teams are going to spread offenses which creates a need for more speed on defense, including the line. He's lookiing for DLs that obviously have size and strength, but not necessarily the 300 lb types. Need guys that are mobile and can get after the QB. (think bigger versions of Nikita)

Spread offenses also create the need for better pass coverage by LBs, especially to OLBs. Taller guys with speed works well here.
Donatell's got height and speed and is a good all round athlete, he could develop into a very good OLB with and extra 20-25 lbs.........and his frame could definitely handle that much. I agree that I don't expect him to be seeing action at QB.

I agree with everyone saying we should put Jela and QD in the past. The fact is that last year we had a bunch of guys flipping on us and this year we only had one QB who did and we quickly went out and found a better replacement for him. This is a solid class and I look forward to seeing these guys on the field.

I agree with everyone saying we should put Jela and QD in the past. The fact is that last year we had a bunch of guys flipping on us and this year we only had one QB who did and we quickly went out and found a better replacement for him. This is a solid class and I look forward to seeing these guys on the field.

Don't know if anyone went to/watched the luncheon, but we're committed to the 3-4 defense and they recruited Banks & Lewinson specifically for that. Those guys aren't big enough to play in a 4-3, but Steve Russ gushed that they'll be great in the 3-4. It also separates us some from the competition. Think what a disappointment Booi & Souza have been. Also (to tau's point), Russ thinks Donatell will easily add weight based on his frame and when he isn't playing 4 sports.

I sat next to Coach Mac today and this is the way he explained it to me: In a 4 - 3, the D Tackles line up in the gaps between O Lineman, so the offense knows where they will attack. While speed is always at a premium in a 4 - 3 alignment, bulk is more important. In a 3 - 4 alignment, the NG lines up with the C head-on and the O Line has no idea which gap he is going to attack. In that alignment and with the added element of surprise, quickness is much more important than bulk.

Back