• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Bz was to go

jamesda3

Reaction score
Would we have a legitimate shot a star HC since the ACC is about to be better than the Big East in bball?

Would we have a shot at a coach like Wright?

Well... we couldn't get a coach that was any worse. So... we would have that going for us.

I have a hard time picturing Wright here. No real reason, and its not that I don't like him, other than that Nova isn't exactly tearing it up recently like it had been.

Not sure we'll snatch a coach from a high major job that has had success. I would love an up and comer, personally.

Shaka. if that fails, go after guys who have had WINNING records and tournament wins.

But basically give Shaka whatever he wants.

I'm sure great coaches would be lining up to take over in the aftermath of firing coaches after tenures of three years and two years.

I'm sure great coaches would be lining up to take over in the aftermath of firing coaches after tenures of three years and two years.

That is the bed we certainly made. The [Redacted] firing will be more palatable to potential coaches than Dino. Which is why I think Buzz probably gets 4 years.

at least the basketball world could understand firing Bz vs the generally puzzling (from the outside) firing of Dino

Shaka Smart is the only "accomplished" coach we could hope to get. Either way, I would rather start over with a mid-major guy and hope for improvement than stick with I guy I am 99% positive won't improve.

Shaka Smart is the only "accomplished" coach we could hope to get. Either way, I would rather start over with a mid-major guy and hope for improvement than stick with I guy I am 99% positive won't improve.

Shaka Smart has created a little bit of controversy recently by saying that the CAA's Virginia schools are better than the ACCs(VT,UVA). Paul Hewitt, now at George Mason, also jumps into the mix by agreeing with Smart.

Asked Monday on a teleconference with reporters whether it's important to him for VCU be considered the state of Virginia's top program, Smart acknowledged that was crucial for recruiting. He then pointed out that Colonial Athletic Association powers VCU, George Mason and Old Dominion have each enjoyed more success than Virginia and Virginia Tech in recent years.

"There's certain schools you end up recruiting against and maybe schools that aren't even in our league that kind of beat their chest and say they have the best program in the state," Smart said. "The reality is if you go by the numbers, if you go by postseason, if you go by guys going to the NBA, the best programs in the state are in the CAA and it's not even close.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/shaka-smart-caa-virginia-teams-better-acc-203131940.html

Would we have a legitimate shot a star HC since the ACC is about to be better than the Big East in bball?

Would we have a shot at a coach like Wright?

Wright? Not a chance. Our next coach will come from the ranks of the young "up-and-comers". Think Wes Miller.....

He's right.

I don't have a big issue with what Shaka said. Mid major's compete very well with the big boys now. Very few upsets truly surprise me.

Back to the original topic if Bz was to resign since he won't be fired this year, I would hope we look at Smart, Greg Marshall, reach out to Brad Stevens again (doubtful he would come though). Who could we get? Hard to tell. I think fans of a school always think they could get anyone but in reality I would at least hope someone then Bz.

If we fired Bzz, I'm not sure we could get Shaka. That is the only think that would concern me.

Get your tinfoil hats out:

Brad Stevens turns down the job the first time because of the "culture" of our program. [Redacted] is hired as the sacrificial lamb to clean things up and be terrible. Stevens comes in and saves the day.

:couch:

Get your tinfoil hats out:

Brad Stevens turns down the job the first time because of the "culture" of our program. [Redacted] is hired as the sacrificial lamb to clean things up and be terrible. Stevens comes in and saves the day.

:couch:

I think Stevens thought he had a shot at the IU job. That's clearly not the case now.

Shaka. if that fails, go after guys who have had WINNING records and tournament wins.

But basically give Shaka whatever he wants.

Yep. There are lots of available coaches with significant ncaat success. Also, I think we all know that you can't win in the ncaat at wake forest unless you've done so somewhere else.

2 years ago I wanted John Groce. I'd still love a coach like that.

Back