• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So... this Mike Muse stuff...

I'm with Coach Muse on this stuff. These kids can't be allowed to ruin people's lives.

It's clear he did nothing inappropriate. Why is this in the newspaper?

WSJ should have shown discretion and not published this.

I cringe when I hear "I'm a good Christian man" from someone facing allegations of misconduct. What exactly does that mean? And what bearing does it have on the specifics of the allegations?

TL;DR:

Previously an East Forsyth teacher got axed for sexual misconduct. Kid notices Muse texts his players (girls softball) alot (reportedly only about classwork, etc) and starts spreading rumors about Muse misconduct. Muse chews the kids head off on tape.

This is an interesting topic. Is it wrong for a male teacher/coach to be texting his female players? My gut instinct is that it's kind of weird, and the coach should really think twice about it because of the way it looks.

But, maybe that's because when I played high school sports cell phones didnt exist. Then again, I dont really remember talking to my coach all that much on the phone.

In my opinion, Muse probably didnt do anything wrong other than exercising poor judgment. If I coached any girl's high school team, I would never call them or text them unless I had to. I, also, would never be caught dead with any of them one on one.

This is an interesting topic. Is it wrong for a male teacher/coach to be texting his female players? My gut instinct is that it's kind of weird, and the coach should really think twice about it because of the way it looks.

But, maybe that's because when I played high school sports cell phones didnt exist. Then again, I dont really remember talking to my coach all that much on the phone.

In my opinion, Muse probably didnt do anything wrong other than exercising poor judgment. If I coached any girl's high school team, I would never call them or text them unless I had to. I, also, would never be caught dead with any of them one on one.

truth.

I also agree about the "good Christian man" bit -- is that supposed to be a defense or something?

Cursing and saying that he would take them for every penny they have (or whatever they've got), was inappropriate.

Things like this should not be reported publicly.

Someone, perhaps several, will be unnecessarily injured. Irresponsible journalism, IMO

Kid had a recording of faculty members cursing out a student. His family took it to the press. It's their obligation to report on it. You don't sit on that.

Something about a God fearing Christian man cursing so much, and cursing out a kid just seems off to me. From accounts I've heard and seen in the past, he's got a history of cursing loud and often. I see people like this all the time, they claim to be devout Christians, but certain aspects of their life couldnt be further from that. I have no problem with him cursing as he does, but he's claiming to be something his actions are disproving.

According to the excerpts of the conversation, Muse also texted with the accuser showing that it wasn't just the girls with whom he texted. All they really need to do to clear him is print out the transcript of what's been said between Muse and the girl in question.

The part that really caused a :wtf: was this one

Muse: Then can you squash it? Can you make sure it doesn't get talked about again? … I got enough problems as it is already and being the girls softball coach, guess what, I got 46 girls in my program. You think I'm not going to text any of them? You think I'm not going to be their surrogate daddy? Cause some of them don't have daddies. You understand where I'm coming from and I swear to God there's enough (vagina) out there that's 21 and older that I don't need to dip into an 18-year-old and younger population. That, plus the fact that I've got a wife that I'm pretty passionate about. And I have two daughters and a son. Why would I treat these girls right here any differently than I'm going to treat my own daughter and my own son?

Something about a God fearing Christian man cursing so much, and cursing out a kid just seems off to me. From accounts I've heard and seen in the past, he's got a history of cursing loud and often. I see people like this all the time, they claim to be devout Christians, but certain aspects of their life couldnt be further from that. I have no problem with him cursing as he does, but he's claiming to be something his actions are disproving.

I've yet to meet a Christian who didn't sin...

I don't necessarily see a problem with curse words when used appropriately..I'm not sure that cursing alone points to any sort of moral problem. Noted, his reaction to this particular kid could be questioned.

Last edited:
What is wrong with kids these days?

I was cussed out by plenty of teachers, one threatened to beat me with a chair after smartassing him. Nothing Muse said was that big of a deal.

Now its record it, put it on Youtube, tweet, facebook, sue, go to the press...

The pussification continues

What is wrong with kids these days?

I was cussed out by plenty of teachers, one threatened to beat me with a chair after smartassing him. Nothing Muse said was that big of a deal.

Now its record it, put it on Youtube, tweet, facebook, sue, go to the press...

The pussification continues

Seriously? You don't think there is anything wrong with this? He acted inappropriately. He knows that.

So, it is culturally acceptable to defame anyone with whom you have a conflict or who has wronged you?

If there is no more to the story than what has been reported, there was no reason for the parents to make that public except to undertake vengeance against Muse. Apparently, an apology and school administered punishment isn't sufficient. Perhaps they are hoping for national media exposure!

How many teachers have sworn at students over the years without it becoming a community scandal? Of course, it shouldn't happen; but neither should it be published in the local newspaper.

Have we lost the ability to resolve personal conflicts privately and with as little damage as possible?

So, it is culturally acceptable to defame anyone with whom you have a conflict or who has wronged you?

If there is no more to the story than what has been reported, there was no reason for the parents to make that public except to undertake vengeance against Muse. Apparently, an apology and school administered punishment isn't sufficient. Perhaps they are hoping for national media exposure!

How many teachers have sworn at students over the years without it becoming a community scandal? Of course, it shouldn't happen; but neither should it be published in the local newspaper.

Have we lost the ability to resolve personal conflicts privately and with as little damage as possible?

Ordinary people can make a nice chunk of change these days by doing the Today Show / Dr. Phil / Inside Edition / Entertainment Today media tour.

You guys are seriously mad at the student? What the fuck is sketchball Muse doing texting students all the time then flying off the handle when anyone asks him about it?

Back