• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaches Luncheon Recap

I can probably type up something, but it wont be until later tonight. . .

Went over each recruit. Grobe and Mac apparently had one visit at one of the parents' bbq restaurant. Remarked something to the effect if you have a restaurant they will give your kid a look. Grobe didn't take any questions which he usually does so that was a little interesting. Unveiled plans for the next phase of the football project at the stadium.

Was there any announcement regarding the two new football assistants?

Nothing about the coaching staff. I assumed that is why there were no questions because they were not prepared to answer them yet.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, and maybe it's just me; but I really didn't sense a lot of energy in the room. Grobe spoke a little and then the coaches spoke about the recruits as they showed the videos. There were some interesting clips(of course they were highlight films) and a few humorous comments but not a lot of information that wasn't already known.

After the players clips a few words and then someone showed mock ups and what was planned for the new locker rooms. As I said, maybe it it's me but it was more of a function that they just wanted to get through. Last year I believe we had a pep band and also had a chance to ask questions to Grobe. This year it was pretty obvious there would be no questions(maybe due to unresolved issues with the new coaches).

These comments in no way should reflect on the 19 recruits coming in. I feel this will be a good class and provide some real playmakers.Perhaps the staff felt as I did, that although we had a good class the decisions of Duncan and Davis took a little wind out of everyone's sails.

I have been going to this event for at least 6 years. . .maybe 7. This is the first time that Grobe did not field any questions afterwards. It wasn't so much awkward as out-of-character.

Grobe did mention that we had 16 3 star players per Rivals which is the most that we have ever had. These are all 5 star kids who are also pretty good football players. He felt that ever single one of these players would fit in at Wake even if they were not football players.

Coach Lobo talked about Ty Hayworth, Will Smith, Joel Suggs, Laronji Vason, and Anthony Rooks. He really likes the O Lineman. Ty has primarily been a run blocker. His only exposure to pass blocking was at the Wake and Cincy camps (which were the only two offers he received). He believes he will be a Tackle for us. He said that it is hard to project what kind of a pass protector a guy is going to be if all that he does is run block. That may explain why he did not have more offers. He also said that his height caused some schools to steer away from him. He joked that 6'3" was just too short to block at the collegiate level. He loved the way that he just mauls opposing defensive players. Will Smith was a basketball player until recently. They discovered him at a camp where he showed up as a D Line player. The Staff encouraged him to switch to offense, which he did. The next year when he was at camp he played offense and had made significant strides. He is a work in progress but has a ton of upside. Laronji is a straight up competitor. Lobo went to scout him at a spring practice. When he saw Lobo watching him, they were doing these drills were the CB was supposed to blow up a bubble screen. He cut to the front of the line and destroyed the receiver. He then waived off the next kid in line and took another turn. He mauled another receiver. This kept going until Lobo walked away from the drill for fear that he was going to either kill himself or one of the receivers! Regarding Rook, they really like his athleticism. He said that this year they plan on using the TE's more standing up. . .more like H Backs.

Coach Galloway spoke about Jonathan Williams. Said he was very quick and has great hands. He said that between him and Crump, they would be pulling up the slack left by Givens' departure. As an aside, I was surprised to find that Coach Galloway just didn't seem very comfortable at the podium. Also, he has a very "down home" style which I bet works well for him when recruiting

Coach Elrod spoke about James Ward, Shelldon Lewison and Jared Crump. He described Ward as a combination of the Energizer Bunny and The Most Interesting Man in the World. He plays every sport at his school. EVERY sport. He just picked up soccer this year and is the starting forward on his team. He plays on the tennis team. . .as the #2! Apparently, it frustrates him that he just can't beat the Brazilian kid on the team. He has very diverse interests including hunting and fishing. The team coach called them about Crump. He transferred in his Sophomore year from a different school. The Coach specifically called our staff because he really likes them and wanted to alert them before other schools started going after him. That advance warning apparently paid off.

Coach Mac spoke about Tyler Cameron, Ryan Janvion, Josh Banks, Tylor Harris, Dominique Gibson, Kevis Jones, Teddy Matthews, . Regarding Cameron, he said that Coach Elrod graded four QB's this year and he was at the top of the list. He said there was a camp or spring game that had 26 scouts present and afterwards, Cameron received 26 offers. They were actually a little bummed when Alec Morris committed. . .but they stayed on Cameron regardless. Cameron and his parents were very deliberate about their process and eliminated any school in which they did not visit. Consequently, some classes were already full by the time he was ready to decide. The final cut had about 11 schools in it. He was described by his coach as the toughest kid he has ever coached. Tylor Harris was the salutatorian of his class. 3.9 GPA. Stanford told him that they were concerned that he might not qualify academically, which seems like it may have been a pretext for a concern over a knee injury he suffered during the year. This kid is the real deal. He will get up to 280lbs and is as close to an SEC DE as we are going to ever get. Josh Banks was the Player of the year in his conference, which is really hard for a defensive player to get. Coach Mac said that he was surprised that more schools were not on him. If Harris is a salutatorian type, then Ryan Janvion is a valedictorian type. He goes to the same school as Daniel Mack and was described by his coach as the best athlete he has ever coached. Dom Gibson comes from an area in Fla where committing early usually means you have a target on your back. It is rare that these kids keep their commitments, but Gibson never wavered. Ray may have let it slip to Gibson that he might get a chance to play tailback, which caused Mac to smile (sort of like wink wink).

Coach Russ spoke about Josh Wilhite, Steve Donatell, Zach Gordon. Regarding Wilhite, Josh called him during the year after tweaking a previous knee injury (ACL tear). The knee needed to be drained and Josh wanted to know whether the coaches felt he should get surgery and shut it down for the year. Russ asked him what he wanted to do. . .to which he responded that he wanted to play. Russ told him that he had a scholarship to Wake Forest and that was not going to change, so knock yourself out. He played at the hardest classification of any HS in the Nation and played really well. . .with a banged up knee. His mental toughness is going to put him in good stead with Coach Grobe. Donatell is a kid who is just someone you want to have in the program no matter what position he ends up at. He has a terrific football IQ and an incredible attitude/leadership skills.

I may have gotten some of these wrong and/or left some things out, so anyone else that was there feel free to correct or fill in the blanks.

Great stuff, D4L. Thanks for posting.

The Stanford stuff absolutely was pretext, I think. I think I read somewhere that Harris also had a 25 or 26 ACT. Not that that's all-world or anything, but it is far more than enough to qualify to play football at Stanford.

Looks the video hasn't been archived yet on WakeForestSports.com's media center quite yet. Hopefully it'll be up sometime today (Friday).

Football Recruiting Lunch

Anybody with any insight? did coach speak highly of anyone in paricular?

Laronji is a straight up competitor. Lobo went to scout him at a spring practice. When he saw Lobo watching him, they were doing these drills were the CB was supposed to blow up a bubble screen. He cut to the front of the line and destroyed the receiver. He then waived off the next kid in line and took another turn. He mauled another receiver. This kept going until Lobo walked away from the drill .

Lobo watching as bubble screen after bubble screen got blown up.

That sounds very familiar.

Anybody with any insight? did coach speak highly of anyone in paricular?

Grove really likes Wilhite. And I think both he and Mac were pretty excited about getting Harris so late.

Coach Mac spoke about Tyler Cameron, Ryan Janvion, Josh Banks, Tylor Harris, Dominique Gibson, Kevis Jones, Teddy Matthews, . Regarding Cameron, he said that Coach Elrod graded four QB's this year and he was at the top of the list. He said there was a camp or spring game that had 26 scouts present and afterwards, Cameron received 26 offers. They were actually a little bummed when Alec Morris committed. . .but they stayed on Cameron regardless. Cameron and his parents were very deliberate about their process and eliminated any school in which they did not visit. Consequently, some classes were already full by the time he was ready to decide. The final cut had about 11 schools in it. He was described by his coach as the toughest kid he has ever coached.

posrep. Particularly excited to hear a little more about Cameron. Can never have enough tough, competitive QB prospects to push the guys in front of them. Nice to see us go toe-to-toe with that many other programs that offered and come out on top.

Back