• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman/Seth Greenberg feud?

Rolfe

Daylight in the swamp
Reaction score
John Feinstein was on DC radio this morning, and they were discussing whether Seth would get his walking papers this year (Feinstein didn't think so). He was talking about how VT should have been in the NCAAs 2 of the past 3 years, but said that there was 'a history between Seth and Ron Wellman, who is the ACC rep on the selection committee.'

Anyone know what he was referring to? More importantly, it seems like validation #3,487 that Wellman has an ego, so everyone settle in and enjoy a few more years of BzzzBall.

Do not trifle with the Premier. He will crush you!

I think that it's that Seth was close to Skip and Dino. When Dino was fired there were hurt feelings. Put that on top of Seth thinking that VT got the Tourny snub several years wasn't his scheduling fault and it's easy to see.

Every year Seth schedules Radford as his toughest OOC game and then loses a couple of conference games at the end of the season. Then VT misses the tournament, and Seth, consistent with his whiny and bitchy nature, blames someone besides himself. That someone just happens to be Wellman.

I think that it's that Seth was close to Skip and Dino. When Dino was fired there were hurt feelings. Put that on top of Seth thinking that VT got the Tourny snub several years wasn't his scheduling fault and it's easy to see.

Every year Seth schedules Radford as his toughest OOC game and then loses a couple of conference games at the end of the season. Then VT misses the tournament, and Seth, consistent with his whiny and bitchy nature, blames someone besides himself. That someone just happens to be Wellman.

I think that the point was that Wellman was snubbing Seth because of the feud, not that the feud was started by the snubbing.

I think that the point was that Wellman was snubbing Seth because of the feud, not that the feud was started by the snubbing.

Exactly - Feinstein went on about how no matter what the selection committee says about being impartial, conference reps stepping out of the room, etc, bias and personal vendettas still creep into the process.

How long has Ron been on the committee? I thought that VT had been "snubbed" long before they even joined the ACC. Haven't paid much attention to them so I honestly don't know.

Don't forget that Feinstein tends to talk straight out of his ass most of the time.

Fantastic writer...huge ass of a human.

VT's last NCAA appearance was in 2007. Before that it was in 1996. Prior to that one, it was in 1986. Ron has been on the selection committee since 2009. It seems like quite a stretch to me that it's the feud that is keeping VT out

I guess that Feinstein realizes that Wake makes money off of each of the teams that play in the NCAA tournament and the further they go, the more money Wake makes. clever move by Wellman to cut his own budget by keeping Va Tech out.

2009:
Last ACC team in, Maryland (ACC record: 7-9 versus 7-9. ACC finish: 7th versus 9th, Overall record: 18-12 versus 17-13. Best ACC win: North Carolina versus Wake Forest. Worst ACC loss: Virgina versus Virginia. Best OCC win: Michigan State versus St John's . Worst OCC loss: Morgan State versus Seton Hall).

Maryland was ahead of VT in pretty much every imaginable way. VT did two impressive things this season: Win @ Wake Forest and win @ Clemson. Maryland beat Wake Forest in the tournament, beat North Carolina, and beat Michigan State. That's victories against Top 10 ranked teams.

2010:
Last ACC team in, Georgia Tech (ACC record: 7-9 versus 9-7, ACC finish: 7th versus 4th, Overall record: 19-11 versus 22-7, Best ACC win: Wake Forest versus Wake Forest, Worst ACC loss: Miami versus Miami, Best OCC win: USC versus Seton Hall, Worst OCC loss: Georgia versus Temple)

Okay, so VT actually has an argument here, but not all that persuasive because GT went on a little run in the ACCT (beating North Carolina and Maryland, losing to Duke by 4) while Virginia Tech lost after a first round bye. Georgia Tech had to play against Duke and Wake Forest twice in the regular season and then against Maryland and Duke in the ACCT. Virginia Tech didn't have to play anyone in the top half of the ACC twice.

2011:
Last ACC team in, Clemson (ACC record: 9-7 versus 9-7, ACC finish: 4th versus 6th, Overall record: 20-10 versus 19-10, Best ACC win: Florida State versus Duke, Worst ACC loss: NC State versus Georgia Tech, Best OOC win: Seton Hall versus Penn State).

Clemson had the superior record and was one of the last four teams in; Virgina Tech has no case.

Of course this is all completely irrelevant since Wellman isn't in the room when ACC teams are discussed.

Last edited:
Also, yes, Seth Greenberg should be fired. He is a mediocre coach that consistently achieves mediocre results. The fact that mediocre is a step-up for Virginia Tech doesn't mean he should keep his job. Time to thank him for what he has done and send him packing.

Seems to me that a mediocre coach is a great fit for a mediocre basketball school.

Greenberg has entirely too much sand in his vagina, so he has to take it out on someone.

FWIW, his recruiting class last season (as in, this season's freshman) is every bit as good, if not better, on paper that Buzz' upcoming class.

Feinstein is a moron

Gotta love this board, Feinstein writes or says something we don't like, "He's a moron" or "He's an ass!"

I think Feinstein's a solid writer. I have read several of his books and found them all to be very well written. There's a NPR story on Fresh Air a while back with him that was very good as well.

With that said, I think he's probably wrong on this one or he's exaggerating. Someone is probably playing up the story to him, most likely Seth or people who are close to him. Seth's been his own worst enemy not scheduling tough out of conference games and he's not won the games he "should" win in conference very often while always upsetting a Duke or UNC. VT has owned us in basketball (outside of this season) thus it's sweet to see them left out of the tournament.

That wasn't a personal, defensive reaction at all.

Feinstein's analysis on a variety of subjects is consistently off-base.

He's the guy who brought up the race card when Shanahan benched McNabb last year, and he also firmly believes that soccer is not a sport (and I'm not sure he could be more of an asshole about it if he tried). He's also had petty, ridiculous feuds with Michael Wilbon and Scott Van Pelt, two of the more likable guys on ESPN imo.

I read A Good Walk Spoiled, and I enjoyed it despite his analysis. There is a big difference between being a good writer and being a good analyst.

Last edited:
Gotta love this board, Feinstein writes or says something we don't like, "He's a moron" or "He's an ass!"

I think Feinstein's a solid writer. I have read several of his books and found them all to be very well written. There's a NPR story on Fresh Air a while back with him that was very good as well.

With that said, I think he's probably wrong on this one or he's exaggerating. Someone is probably playing up the story to him, most likely Seth or people who are close to him. Seth's been his own worst enemy not scheduling tough out of conference games and he's not won the games he "should" win in conference very often while always upsetting a Duke or UNC. VT has owned us in basketball (outside of this season) thus it's sweet to see them left out of the tournament.

feinstein could call wake forest the best school in the history of schools, and he would still be a moron and an ass

That wasn't a personal, defensive reaction at all.

Feinstein's analysis on a variety of subjects is consistently off-base.

Disagree, but to be fair I don't follow him as close as some do. My opinion of him is more based on books he's wrote.

Back