• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake's Best Basketball Coach

Who best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why does this poll have Jack Murdock, who coached for only one season and went 8-18, as a choice but omits Murray Greason who coached for 23 seasons?

He wasn't the best coach, but Skip would've gotten us there. He knew how to get the horses, and would've given us enough chances, IMO.

I may not be of clear mind right now, but I think Skip's passing stopped Wake basketball from taking a jump to next level. I believe he was the perfect Wake coach.

He had poor recruiting classes, but he also seemed to realize his mistakes... and brought in studs before and after the 2007 class. Take everything Dino did in our performance and in our 2010 recruiting and magnify it... and that's what Skip would have done.

I agree with what Fuck Your Couch said and voted accordingly.

I'm guessing the older fans voted for Bones, the middle aged voted for Odom, and the younger fans voted for Skip. Broad generalizations, but just a guess.

I agree with what Fuck Your Couch said and voted accordingly.

I'm guessing the older fans voted for Bones, the middle aged voted for Odom, and the younger fans voted for Skip. Broad generalizations, but just a guess.

Skip....but yeah, I might be biased

Love Skip but he never did very well in the post season. Josh Howard's senior year and the 2005 team both drop eggs in the tournament. Dave Odom, though he had similar issues, would probably be my pick. We haven't had a great coach at Wake IMO.

He wasn't the best coach, but Skip would've gotten us there. He knew how to get the horses, and would've given us enough chances, IMO.

Skip never could get us there, couldn't win in the post season and couldn't game coach. He could get a few players but didn't know what to do with them.

Bones is the only one with a Final Four. Gotta give him the nod. Skip was an ideal ambassador for Wake Forest. He "got it", and he lived it. He and Grobe are/were perfect fits.

The poll isn't asking for the most accomplished coach, it's asking for the best coach. Huge difference.

That's true. Skip couldn't win in the postseason.

If Craig Dawson doesn't get hurt against Oregon or Mike Gansey misses a single shot, would that have made Skip a better postseason coach?

There's something to "postseason coaching," but it's not nearly as much as most people believe. Plenty of coaches who "couldn't win in the postseason" have gone on to win in the postseason. I bet Skip would have been one of them.

Last edited:
If Craig Dawson doesn't get hurt against Oregon or Mike Gansey misses a single shot, would that have made Skip a better postseason coach?

There's something to "postseason coaching," but it's not nearly as much as most people believe.

Skip blew chance after chance in the postseason at Wake and at Xavier. So whatever it takes to win in the postseason Skip didn't have it.

Gentleman Carl. Got the most out of the guys he had, and got some pretty good talent considering his recruiting handicaps. War Memorial coliseum anyone? He did pretty well when he had something close to equal talent.

Back