• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA Lacrosse Murder Trial

DeaconCav06

Dickie Hemric
Reaction score
The trial of the former UVA Lacrosse player that is accused of killing his ex-girlfriend 3 weeks before graduation is getting started today in Charlottesville.

When it first happened I would go on runs in the morning and see all of the news vans lined up near the Rotunda, and then I'd get home and watch ESPN and see coverage of the case.

http://www.newsplex.com/huguelytrial/headlines/Huguely_to_Address_Court.html

http://www.newsplex.com/huguelytrial/headlines/Media_Trucks_Line_Up_for_Huguely_Trial_138754529.html

UVAkids_370x278.jpg

he is rocking the whole "all lacrosse players look like major douchebags" look (I say that as a former player, so I'm kind of an expert on the subject)

Jesus, how is it that this guy is only now going to trial when he was arrested pretty much at the time of the murder?

Pretty much.

Based on the evidence his defense lawyers tried to get admitted I think they're going to try and argue that she had a pre-existing condition and will concede that he attacked her, but that he wasn't intending to kill her.

Jesus, how is it that this guy is only now going to trial when he was arrested pretty much at the time of the murder?

There have been a lot of motions to exclude evidence and questions about jury selection. This case is HUGE news in Charlottesville, and people were worried about finding an impartial jury.

The local CBS affiliate is tweeting updates. Apparently three jurors were released for having ties to UVA. Good luck finding somebody without ties to UVA in that city.

Sounds like an interesting case, but don't know how they'll find people who don't have ties to UVA as Cav said

Pretty much.

Based on the evidence his defense lawyers tried to get admitted I think they're going to try and argue that she had a pre-existing condition and will concede that he attacked her, but that he wasn't intending to kill her.

There have been a lot of motions to exclude evidence and questions about jury selection. This case is HUGE news in Charlottesville, and people were worried about finding an impartial jury.

What did they try to exclude? I knew that was the arguement, but based on the threatening e-mails he sent, that is going to be hard to prove. What is prosecution going for?

I know a lot of people that were around this case, and the number of lives affected by it is staggering. Sad that one person can hurt so many people.

Kicked her door in, confessed to banging her head against the wall a bunch of times. Several previous arrests including for "a domestic dispute with his father on the family yacht." Autopsy says death by blunt force trauma to the head. Defense says death by rare heart condition + alcohol + adderall.

Sounds like the only question should be where this will end up in the 0-40 or 20-life.

So, this is a trial about whether he gets the needle or not.

No. It's between 1st degree, felony murder, 2nd degree and manslaughter. Death penalty isn't on the table. No Cville jury would give it anyway, especially in a domestic. Hell, we had a domestic stabbing jury give a guy just 15 years for stabbing his wife like 15-20 times just a couple of weeks ago. Juries here have a reputation for very light sentencing. This is why the defense prolly never thought twice about trying it here rather than moving it due to all the pretrial attention.

And the reason it's never settled is the City CA prolly hasn't offered anything less than 1st, and the defense prolly hasn't wanted to plea to more than manslaughter. There are good attorneys on both sides of this so it should be well tried.

About 21 months after the killing. There has been a lot more pretrial stuff here than in most cases. And the defense has their own medical consultants. Takes a while around these parts to set up a 2 week trial with everything else going on in the case. Neither side was upset over the timing.

What did they try to exclude? I knew that was the arguement, but based on the threatening e-mails he sent, that is going to be hard to prove. What is prosecution going for?

I know a lot of people that were around this case, and the number of lives affected by it is staggering. Sad that one person can hurt so many people.

What was the email?

They were trying last week to exclude some pics of the body, but the judge didn't exclude them. The prosecution is going for 1st degree, but with his state of mind, it's more likely to get felony murder (he stole her computer in the commission of the crime) or 2nd. I don't do any criminal law, but I think 2nd or felony will get you 5-40.

The defense also wanted access to her medical files. The pictures aren't excluded but they won't be shown to the courtroom or the media.

Precise moment that this guy's life reached its peaked.

l11t22hb.gif

No. It's between 1st degree, felony murder, 2nd degree and manslaughter. Death penalty isn't on the table. No Cville jury would give it anyway, especially in a domestic. Hell, we had a domestic stabbing jury give a guy just 15 years for stabbing his wife like 15-20 times just a couple of weeks ago. Juries here have a reputation for very light sentencing. This is why the defense prolly never thought twice about trying it here rather than moving it due to all the pretrial attention.

And the reason it's never settled is the City CA prolly hasn't offered anything less than 1st, and the defense prolly hasn't wanted to plea to more than manslaughter. There are good attorneys on both sides of this so it should be well tried.

I know how pleadings work. I'm also an attorney. I was taking a stab at it because everything I had read before today made it look open and shut and figured the prosecution just wasnt willing to take the dp off the table so there was no incentive to plead out.

Apparently, the defense attorneys asked potential jurors if they had strong feelings about using intoxication as a defense.

Uh... intoxication isn't a defense.

Back