• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which players have improved this year?

Which players have improved this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stonz

Reaction score
Who has improved this year (or, more specifically, since last year)?

Note: Multiple choice. Choose all that apply.

Last edited:
This was inspired by Ish's post in one of the Buzz threads:

I like the way stonz is looking at it. So, who has gotten better?

Better: CJ, Ty
Same: Fischer, Fields (N/A more appropriate), McKie, Nikita, Tony, Green
Worse: Carson

I think this breakdown is pretty interesting, since Ish is generally pretty representative of knowledgeable Wake Forest fans.

I made a quick spreadsheet with all the basic ESPN stats (adjusted to a 40 minute basis) to see who has improved statistically. I also included Offensive Rating at the end, which is a comprehensive stat (well, for offense) where the D1 average is right about 100.

By the numbers, there's obviously no debate about CJ. He has upped his game tremendously.

Contrary to popular opinion (I think), Carson has actually gotten a bit better this year. His improvement has been very very slight; it might actually be more fair to say that he's really the exact same player. But I don't see statistical evidence for the board's consensus that he's regressed. I think everyone is just disappointed that he hasn't taken a bigger step forward. It's also possible that people have forgotten how bad he was last year.

The other notable player in this discussion is probably Tony. He has made a significant improvement in nearly every single category this year. Of course he set a ridiculously low standard last year while coming back from his foot injury, but its still worth noting that he's made a huge leap forward this year.

Nikita is a mixed bag, and Ty has gotten a bit better, but not a ton (most of his impact is on the defensive end of course, which isn't factored in very much here).

If anyone has regressed this year, it's probably Travis. I really hate to say it, but here's the breakdown:
Improved: Scoring, Assists, Steals, 3pt% (still a liability though)
Declined: Rebounding (offensive and defensive), Blocks, Turnovers, Shooting (eFG% and TS%), FT Rate, Offensive Rating

Last edited:
Travis played well until conference play. He looks terrible as of recent.

I voted CJ before I realized it was multiple choice. I would have voted Ty as well.

Thanks for the breakdown. Interesting stuff on Carson, I think you are right on the money about him just not making the jump like most expected.

A non-conference vs. conference play from this season would be interesting, but obviously time consuming to put together.

I guess I didn't think CJ got better but he just moved back to his natural position.

Nikita, at times last year, was the worst Wake scholarship player I'd seen in a decade.

Harris would be improved if he had some help. I think he is worn out physically and mentally. He also had the injury and wasn't able to let it fully heal. His mid range jump shot is much better--a lost art. He must have worked hard on it over the summer.

Maybe CD isn't worse, but for him to be the same is pretty bad--it's not like he had to be good to be improved.

If CJ had more space to work with (ie: a better supporting cast), he would be a first team all acc player. He could really benefit from someone who doesn't stare him down and not pass it to him when he comes off a screen.

He was the missing link to the 09-10 season.

How can people vote for Tony Chennault? He didn't even play most of last year and he is been pretty bad most games.

20166.gif

I dont think Travis has regressed. I think his shot has improved along with his lateral quickness. His rebounding numbers have been down because he played a lot of the 3 earlier in the year, which is his natural position.

Against teams like State, FSU, and UNC, when we need offense, we try to play him at the 4 and he is too undersized to try to score agains those teams one on one. He has been the focus of the defense and has had some rough games against bigger, longer teams. But let's see how he finishes the season.

Nikita and Ty. Seems like everyone else has stayed stagnant or regressed.

CJ & Ty have certainly stepped up their game. Travis has come out with an overall All-ACC type year and I think CJ will also get a lot of consideration for one of the 3 teams.

Actually, I think all of them have improved. CJ and Ty the most and Carson and Travis the least. The others moderately. The real issue is not whether they have improved but have they improved enough? On the whole the answer has to be no. But this season in not over yet, and for most of these players their careers are far from over.

Sigh I clicked on Nikita more for appreciation of aggressive play than real improvement...

CJ is definitely the real deal and I gave Ty the nod for playing like a man instead of a wuss...

I would love to see Chennault improve, but I dont think we saw enough of him last year to really tell - he still seems like the same player to me to an extent...

i voted CJ and Ty who i think are obvious, and for TC who while i still think isn't ACC-caliber, has definitely improved from his performance coming back from the injury last year

Last edited:
Back