• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Wellman Resign Effective Immediately?

Wellman Out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boards Tough Guy

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
ncb_a_wellbzd_400.jpg

EDIT: WOOPS, I thought this was about [Redacted]. I would vote "Hell fucking yes" to Bz, but Wellman can't be blamed unless he doesn't fire him, at the latest, middle of next season.

Last edited:
Wellman should under no circumstances be fired immediately, that's a rash decision which we would regret moving forward over one mistake he made with hiring Jeff [Redacted]. Fire [Redacted] (immediately is fine with me) and then go from there.

Immediately? No.

At the end of the basketball season? Probably.

His time here has been nothing short than the most catastrophic a failure it could have been.

Grobe, Skip, Deacon Tower, Soccer Championship, Field Hockey Championships, Groves scoreboard, Baseball stadium/scoreboard, impending Joel purchase, Tennis facilities, Golf facilities, growth of the DC, no major NCAA violations, serving on multiple boards/committees for the NCAA, etc all make that seem a little silly. The Bzz hire has been a catastrophic failure and may very well be worthy of his job ending, but to call his entire time catatrosphic is immensely misguided.

Personally, if Wellman can admit his mistake and make the firing, I'd like to see him stick around. He's done an excellent job in so many facets. I just don't think he should have 100% control of the hiring/firing process going forward.

Last edited:
Grobe, Skip, Deacon Tower, Soccer Championship, Field Hockey Championships, Groves scoreboard, Baseball stadium/scoreboard, impending Joel purchase, Tennis facilities, Golf facilities, growth of the DC, no major NCAA violations, etc all make that seem a little silly. The Bzz hire has been a catastrophic failure and may very well be worthy of his job ending, but to call his entire time catatrosphic is immensely misguided.

Personally, if Wellman can admit his mistake and make the firing, I'd like to see him stick around. He's done an excellent job in so many facets. I just don't think he should have 100% control of the hiring/firing process going forward.

I thought this was about Bz. I'm a little out of it, running low on sleep lol.

Wellman should under no circumstances be fired immediately, that's a rash decision which we would regret moving forward over one mistake he made with hiring Jeff [Redacted]. Fire [Redacted] (immediately is fine with me) and then go from there.

Wellman hired Dino after Skip's death instead of making him interim and forming a search committee to hire a new coach. Then he apparently decided that was a mistake, and fired him without securing a suitable replacement. Wellman then hired Bz, whose resume speaks for itself, and tried to convince WF fans that Bz was the answer to the ills in our program. Colossal fuck up.

ETA: Wellman's decisions regarding the BBall program since Skip's unfortunate passing have turned us into literally the laughingstock of the ACC.

Last edited:
Grobe, Skip, Deacon Tower, Soccer Championship, Field Hockey Championships, Groves scoreboard, Baseball stadium/scoreboard, impending Joel purchase, Tennis facilities, Golf facilities, growth of the DC, no major NCAA violations, serving on multiple boards/committees for the NCAA, etc all make that seem a little silly. The Bzz hire has been a catastrophic failure and may very well be worthy of his job ending, but to call his entire time catatrosphic is immensely misguided.

This. And the Bzzz experiment needs to end sooner than it began. Name Battle the Interim head coach until the season is over...

Bz just compounded the Dino mistake.

Caldwell and Charlene Curtis are on this list as well. He's hired one of the worst coaches in Wake history in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.

For the record, Wellman didn't hire Jen Averill.

But he has certainly provided support for the program. His job is about way more than hirings/firings, though they can be a make/break part of it, particularly with regards to the revenue sports.

Bz just compounded the Dino mistake.

Caldwell and Charlene Curtis are on this list as well. He's hired one of the worst coaches in Wake history in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.

Very true, however Grobe and Prosser are also on that list for some of the best coaches in their sports, not to mention Walter who has done a good job in his first couple of seasons.

Lol, negrep me all you want. Bz is bad, Wellman has too many successes to fire him over one coach. That's just the truth.

Lol, negrep me all you want. Bz is bad, Wellman has too many successes to fire him over one coach. That's just the truth.

I agree Wellman has done good things at Wake, but he needs to man up and admit the Buzz train isn't going anywhere before it ruins his legacy at Wake.

Wellman should let Buzz go...sooner the better...and make a decent hire this time. If he is unwilling to do that, then they should both be shown the door, imo.

Not immediately, but if he allows this crapfest known as a basketball team to continue much longer, I would have no problem with exposing his feet to the fire.

I agree Wellman has done good things at Wake, but he needs to man up and admit the Buzz train isn't going anywhere before it ruins his legacy at Wake.

Wellman should let Buzz go...sooner the better...and make a decent hire this time. If he is unwilling to do that, then they should both be shown the door, imo.

I agree, but the facts are actually in his favor as they stand. If he doesn't make a move, yes, he should be fired. If he fires Bz, I can find some forgiveness for him if he makes a good hire.

No. He shouldn't be fired this year or next year or the year after that.

You guys think ADs like Wellman grow on trees? The guy has done more with our athletic program in his tenure here than most people could do, (considering our size and resources comparable to other ACC schools - and no, that's not a LOWF).

Bzzz's hire has proved disastrous, but give him a chance to rectify the situation. Hell it's been 1 1/2 seasons. He'll fix it.

Back