• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Zeller Tip

KeEpEr

Resident Troll
Reaction score
Who should be credited with the basket?

Zeller -2 pts

Either that or give him team MVP for both teams.

Since this is in your realm of expertise, who do you think should be credited with the basket and why?

Very interesting. I was listening to the game via radio and thought it would be credited to the closest Duke player or credited as a team basket. I have since seen the replay and it really is Kelly's shot that went in. Although wide left it was his shot and Zeller guided it into the basket. The basket was credited to Kelly but only for two. Regardless of where the shot was attempted, by rule if the ball is touched by a defender before going in the basket it counts only two points. Now what I am trying to figure out now is how they handled Kelly's attempt statistically. Was he credited with a missed three point attempt and a made two point attempt? He only shot it one time. I have calls in to appropriate people to find out. Interesting.

That's interesting. I thought it would be credited the same as if the ball bounced off a player and went into the basket as a 3-pointer. As a 2, I figured it would be the closest player.

I always assumed that it was the last player on the opposing team that touched the ball.

Saw this shown under "own goal" from the all-knowing wiki -

In NCAA basketball, the rules state: "When a player scores a field goal in the opponent’s basket, it shall count two points for the opponent regardless of the location on the playing court from where it was released. Such a field goal shall not be credited to a player in the scorebook but shall be indicated with a footnote."

I had no idea how they might score it, so it would be interesting to know what they did last night, keeper.

Very interesting. I was listening to the game via radio and thought it would be credited to the closest Duke player or credited as a team basket. I have since seen the replay and it really is Kelly's shot that went in. Although wide left it was his shot and Zeller guided it into the basket. The basket was credited to Kelly but only for two. Regardless of where the shot was attempted, by rule if the ball is touched by a defender before going in the basket it counts only two points. Now what I am trying to figure out now is how they handled Kelly's attempt statistically. Was he credited with a missed three point attempt and a made two point attempt? He only shot it one time. I have calls in to appropriate people to find out. Interesting.

Keeper, if a carolina player had guided Rivers' game winner into the hoop would that have been ruled a 2 to tie as opposed to a 3 for the win? Is it still goal-tending if a heel had jumped up, grabbed the ball and jammed it into his own goal?

I'm sure that is a dumb question but based on your explanation above....

Kelly was credited with a made two point field goal. As I stated above his shot actually went in although helped by Zeller. By rule as stated earlier if touched by an opponent legally it can only count as a two. Since Kelly attempted the shot , and it went it legally as a two point basket, he was credited with a two point successful shot.

Keeper, if a carolina player had guided Rivers' game winner into the hoop would that have been ruled a 2 to tie as opposed to a 3 for the win? Is it still goal-tending if a heel had jumped up, grabbed the ball and jammed it into his own goal?

I'm sure that is a dumb question but based on your explanation above....

If they touched it in the cylinder it would be goal tending....three points. If they did what Zeller did it woud be two points.

My guess is that you can't deliberately incompetently goaltend (guiding an attempted 3 into the hoop to make it a 2) anytime the ball has a chance of going in.

The refs told the announcers that the shot had no chance, hence it's a 2.

Of course, that doesn't square with the wiki quote above. Under that logic, lectro's "deliberately incompetent goaltending" gambit might work anytime a team is down 3.

My guess is that you can't deliberately incompetently goaltend (guiding an attempted 3 into the hoop to make it a 2) anytime the ball has a chance of going in.

The refs told the announcers that the shot had no chance, hence it's a 2.

Of course, that doesn't square with the wiki quote above. Under that logic, lectro's "deliberately incompetent goaltending" gambit might work anytime a team is down 3.

It would be almost impossible to have touched Rivers' shot without being goal tending.

I always assumed that it was the last player on the opposing team that touched the ball.

Saw this shown under "own goal" from the all-knowing wiki -

In NCAA basketball, the rules state: "When a player scores a field goal in the opponent’s basket, it shall count two points for the opponent regardless of the location on the playing court from where it was released. Such a field goal shall not be credited to a player in the scorebook but shall be indicated with a footnote."

I had no idea how they might score it, so it would be interesting to know what they did last night, keeper.

This is how it should have been scored correctly. It wasn't

This is how it should have been scored correctly. It wasn't

The rule you are speaking of is if a player shoots at the wrong basket. Let's say a player takes the initial inbounds pass of the second half and goes down and makes a three point shot at the wrong basket. That is two points for the opposing team. Last night it was Kelly's shot that went it. Zeller just helped it.

this is by far the most interesting post that Keeper has ever made and I mean that as a compliment (sorta. kinda. ok not really)

this is by far the most interesting post that Keeper has ever made and I mean that as a compliment (sorta. kinda. ok not really)

Actually it is lower case k, please.

Back