• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GE's tax situation

I have tried explaining time and time again that you can't determine what a company pays in taxes looking at their financial statements.

I disagree with their conclusion that we should eliminate corporate tax and we shouldn't care if companies can defer taxes foreever

Last edited:
Good article. Nice to see that there are some writers who know how financial statements work. GE probably claimed $Texas in bonus depreciation last year, doing exactly what Congress wanted them to.

I have tried explaining time and time again that you can't determine what a company pays in taxes looking at their financial statements.

I disagree with their conclusion that we should eliminate corporate tax and we shouldn't care if companies can defer taxes foreever

Thought the general premise of the article was good, but I completely agree with ChrisL on the bolded.

Good article. Unfortunately it is difficult to explain the technicalities to those who just want to blame the evil corporations for all the world's problems.

Thought the general premise of the article was good, but I completely agree with ChrisL on the bolded.

I do too. I prefer a CEO tax for those who make the obscene salaries but own very little of the company.

I too was really annoyed at the mainstream reporting of this. Wait, so a company uses the incentives Congress creates to lower their taxes and they get blasted for it? It makes no sense. If Congress didn't want them to behave that way, change the incentives. If Congress didn't want them to be able to avoid paying all taxes, set a minimum tax or a cap on rebate type incentives.

Back