• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

With nothing to look forward to this season...

legacyfan

Reaction score
Who would you choose for each position as the best? My picks:

Point Gaurd: Muggsy - I know CP3 was great, but Bogues led the nation in assists with a team that couldn't shoot the ball. Put him with Randolph and RR, who knows how many assists he could have racked up over his career.

Shooting Gaurd: Childress. (Do I really have to explain?)

Swing Forward: Josh Howard - He could gaurd 1 - 4, he could score at will.

Power Forward: Rodney Rogers. In addition to all his skills, he cold cocked Christian Latener.

Center: Tim Duncan. (Much like Childress I don't feel a need to defend this pick.)

Of course I meant "look" forward... but I can't figure out how to edit the stupid thread title.

I got the title for you.

CP3
Chill
Rodney
Hemric
Duncan

Skip Brown as PG and I'll take the rest of your list.

CP3
Charlie Davis - without a 3pt line, he averaged 24.9ppg...with one 30ppg likely
Rodney
Hemric
Tim

CP3
Rodney
Hemric
Tim

Just curious, because Davis was before my time. Could he control a game like Childress? (Honest question, not trying to argue the point.)

And: coredeac, I went back and forth between Skip and Bogues for a while.

1. Skip
2. Charlie Davis (Jody Puckett told me that when he was hot he just demanded the ball)
3. Ronnie Watts
4. Rod Griffin
5. Duncan

CP3
Rodney
Hemric
Tim

This. I have a hard time putting Davis in front of Chill but Davis was fantastic.

When you think of Charlie Davis you have to imagine in your mind's eye how many points Larry Byrd would have scored against Michigan State in the national championship game they lost to the Spartans. The game wouldn't have even been close. Indiana State would have won by 12 easy.

Last edited:
Okay, so far we all agree that Tim Duncan was our best center... otherwise, it is intersting to see the other choices. Having watched Wake since 1976 there is only one name I don't recognize, Ronnie Watts.

Loving the feed back. (I still say Muggsy was the best point gaurd!)

This. I have a hard time putting Davis in front of Chill but Davis was fantastic.

When you think of Charlie Davis you have to imagine in your mind's eye how many points Larry Byrd would have scored against Michigan State in the national championship game they lost to the Spartans. The game wouldn't have even been close. Indiana State would have won by 12 easy.

Not sure how you get through life without knowing how to spell Larry Bird's last name, but while we are talking hypotheticals with the 3 point line, you have to consider Maravich. Averaged over 40 for his career without the 3, not sure how much more he would have scored with the 3 point line. He scored in the 60s several times. Imagine if there was a 3 point line and he was scoring in the 80s.

Not sure how you get through life without knowing how to spell Larry Bird's last name, but while we are talking hypotheticals with the 3 point line, you have to consider Maravich. Averaged over 40 for his career without the 3, not sure how much more he would have scored with the 3 point line. He scored in the 60s several times. Imagine if there was a 3 point line and he was scoring in the 80s.

Okay, I hate to be bitchy, but this is about Wake players...

If I started about the best Wake players playing above the rim - Robert Siler, RR, Antwan Scott, etc. - would you bring up David Thompson? Jeezus.

Okay, so far we all agree that Tim Duncan was our best center... otherwise, it is intersting to see the other choices. Having watched Wake since 1976 there is only one name I don't recognize, Ronnie Watts.

Loving the feed back. (I still say Muggsy was the best point gaurd!)

I selected Ron Watts as I was looking for someone who might be able to fill the small forward position, plus I wanted to pay a little homage to those great Wake players who sometimes get forgotton. Finally, he won a ring with the Celtics in the 1960's. Very cool.

Pretty amazing that Lenny C hasn't even warranted a mention here. 2 time ACC POY, 2 time ACCT MVP, still holds the scoring record for a season in-conference.

Best player on Wake's only final four team.

CP3
Chill
Howard
Rogers
Duncan

Bench: Levy, Downey, E. Williams, Gray, Peral, LaRue

Pretty amazing that Lenny C hasn't even warranted a mention here. 2 time ACC POY, 2 time ACCT MVP, still holds the scoring record for a season in-conference.

Best player on Wake's only final four team.

Thought long and hard on that one, but wasn't he a true 5 in college? Have to take Duncan then.

Back