• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My Feelings on Wake Basketball

HeavyPetter

Carnal Decadence
Reaction score
I used to enjoy watching our games. Now not so much. In fact, i don't keep up with the schedule and have no idea who we play next. I assume we play on Saturday afternoon, that's about it. I did happen to turn on the Wake v. Virginia game a couple of nights ago. I was thinking about college basketball that day, something that has become a rare occurrence for me. The reason I was thinking about college basketball is that i was being bombarded with messages about the Duke v. UNC-CH game; it really had nothing to do with our game. But I did somehow happen upon the information that Wake was playing against Virginia in advance of the Big Game and in addition to that, there was another big game that night involving Baylor and Kansas.

So I decided to watch and see if things had changed much from a few weeks ago or if we were still barely watchable. We are now no longer barely watchable. We are completely unwatchable. In fact while watching this unwatchable crap the following song kept coming to my mind. This song sums up my feelings on Wake basketball.

Yeah. I haven't gone to a game since 2010. It just isn't worth it anymore with the product that's being put on the court.

I'm coming down to NC this weekend for the first time in a long while and I was talking to my pops about it. He asked me if I was gonna catch a Wake game when I was down there. Long silence and then we both started laughing.

The last Wake game I went to was the home finale against Clemson in Dino's last year (the win that clinched a spot in the NCAAs for us). I haven't been to any games in the Unwiped Ass Era, and nor do I intend to.

I dvr'd the UVA game but never watched it. If I know a game is on tv I will generally watch it if I have nothing else going on, but if it's on ESPN3 I'm not going to the trouble of hooking up my laptop to the tv. It didn't used to be like that for me.

For over a decade I didnt miss a single home game, went to multiple away games each year, and the ACC/NIT/NCAA Tournaments. The last game went to was the 2009-2010 UNC home game, and have only watched maybe a dozen games on tv since that time.

Its sad how apathetic I've become re: WFU basketball, but I suppose I've taken that apathy and more enthusiastically supported the football team. Its not all bad, but I'd love to see us eventually get good again.

Here's where I'm at with our basketball program. I'm a CPA and this is my 16 or 17th tax season and up until the last 2 years, Wake basketball has been my release during tax season. I looked forward to the games and could focus on that for a couple of hours, a couple of times week instead of work. Now, instead of looking forward to the game, I dread them. I can't just not watch, because I love Wake Forest, and I feel an obligation to watch if I'm going to claim to be a true fan. However, instead of it being a treat to get to sit down and watch our games during this time of year, it's become almost torture. I'm not trying to bad-mouth our guys, I know they want to play well and for the most are trying their best. However, to see what was not long ago at all a really good program, now a complete laughing stock, is depressing. Ron Wellman made a huge and really unexplainable mistake in hiring Jeff [Redacted] and I really would love to know why. I was thinking this morning if Ron Wellman had made a list of pros and cons prior hiring [Redacted] what it must've looked like.

Pros: Respectable person, would run a clean program. Supposed to have good basketball knowledge. Knows how to wears socks.

Cons: No real history of success. No real history as a great recruiter. Not a great personality to go out and promote the program. No history of post-season success, which is the reason given for firing Dino.

Is there something I'm leaving out? I just don't see how Ron Wellman could've sat down and thought it through and decided this is the guy, either as a first choice, second choice, or even a fifth choice???

My feelings are that we suck and also that I love Wake Forest Basketball.

Don't go to as many games since graduating but try to make it to a few each year. Hitting up the Clemson game this weekend. Watch every game on TV start to finish.

I have long thought that hiring Jeff [Redacted] was Wellman trying to be clever, trying to do what he did with Grobe (pull someone from relative anonymity).

Our basketball program shouldn't require that.

I curse whenever I find out there's a basketball game coming up, especially if it's at home. How the times have changed.

For over a decade I didnt miss a single home game, went to multiple away games each year, and the ACC/NIT/NCAA Tournaments. The last game went to was the 2009-2010 UNC home game, and have only watched maybe a dozen games on tv since that time.

Its sad how apathetic I've become re: WFU basketball, but I suppose I've taken that apathy and more enthusiastically supported the football team. Its not all bad, but I'd love to see us eventually get good again.

That's the last game I went to as well. And honestly, I know the team was headed in the wrong direction at the time, but I didn't see this coming whether Dino was our coach or not.

My feelings are that we suck and also that I love Wake Forest Basketball.

Don't go to as many games since graduating but try to make it to a few each year. Hitting up the Clemson game this weekend. Watch every game on TV start to finish.

How can you watch this shit? It's painful to watch AND it's getting worse. I have so many better things I can do with two hours.

I have long thought that hiring Jeff [Redacted] was Wellman trying to be clever, trying to do what he did with Grobe (pull someone from relative anonymity).

Our basketball program shouldn't require that.

I curse whenever I find out there's a basketball game coming up, especially if it's at home. How the times have changed.

That's very well said. However, at least Grobe had a history of what our football program needed. He was an assistant at Air Force where they have a long history of fielding good, competitive teams with less talent. He took over a program at Ohio U. that was maybe the worst in D1A and made them competitive and one of the better program in the MAC, again with not great talent. Nothing about [Redacted]'s track record or history made any sense that he should be the guy or if there was, I'm missing it.

Last edited:
Based on what I know from people who are far more in the know than I am, it was all about the "clean" program, the "culture" change we've all had shoved down our throat. It was never about basketball. Never. Wins and losses be damned, they just wanted to make sure Wake didn't look bad for rape scandals and kids not going to class. That was the focus and this is what we got, and they got what they wanted all along. Screw the fans.

Based on what I know from people who are far more in the know than I am, it was all about the "clean" program, the "culture" change we've all had shoved down our throat. It was never about basketball. Never. Wins and losses be damned, they just wanted to make sure Wake didn't look bad for rape scandals and kids not going to class. That was the focus and this is what we got, and they got what they wanted all along. Screw the fans.

Then why push so hard to keep the rest of the staff and Dino's recruiting class? Why give Dino an extension months before letting him go? The culture story came to light well after the hire.

If I played on this team I'd be so fucking depressed I'd be on all kind of drugs and would never even think about going to class.

My feelings:

diaper.jpg

Then why push so hard to keep the rest of the staff and Dino's recruiting class? Why give Dino an extension months before letting him go? The culture story came to light well after the hire.

correct

if ron had totally cleaned house i would get it. it would piss me off because we suck, but i would get it.

I don't have all the answers, obviously. It sounds to me like someone was upset with things happening behind the scenes (that Wellman knew before the rest of us did) and Dino was the fall guy for it.

remember these glory days? holy shit, this is all so fucking depressing....

Back