• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Is Our Next Basketball Coach?

It really depends on the AD. Guys like Groce were not even on the radar in the last search. In fact, I can't remember a single 'up and comer' on the list. That just isn't Wellman's style.

Shaka Smart, could be wishful thinking. John Groce, I think the connection we've had with Ohio U. coaches before.

Who is the AD who makes the hire- Wellman? Probably someone like Mike Young, the coach at Wofford. Or Robbie Laing at Campbell. We're not going to get any of the hot coaches that everyone is talking about. Just look how well the last search went. A guy who was on no one's radar and finished last, last, and eighth in the Big 12 became our coach. What a resume. I'm just glad he brought his unbelievable "system" (a modified version of the Princeton offense that was a thing of beauty if I recall- at least that's what I was told on the old board) to Winston- at a cost of around a million dollars per year. That's the thing about Bz- he teaches the fundamentals.

Who is the AD who makes the hire- Wellman? Probably someone like Mike Young, the coach at Wofford. Or Robbie Laing at Campbell. We're not going to get any of the hot coaches that everyone is talking about. Just look how well the last search went. A guy who was on no one's radar and finished last, last, and eighth in the Big 12 became our coach. What a resume. I'm just glad he brought his unbelievable "system" (a modified version of the Princeton offense that was a thing of beauty if I recall- at least that's what I was told on the old board) to Winston- at a cost of around a million dollars per year. That's the thing about Bz- he teaches the fundamentals.

I wonder how much Wellman's relationship or at least knowing Jeff [Redacted] from Northwestern had to do with him even being on Wellman's radar? I can't imagine Wellman would've even given him a look if not for that.

Norwood Teague. But agree that if it's Wellman making this hire, it won't be a big name.

It won't be any notable name.

At this point I'd be fine with it not being a notable name, just as long I when I pull up his resume it shows some legitimate success where he's been to give us some hope for the future. Doesn't mean the guy would'n't flop here, but at least a guy that's shown he can be successful. Especially would like to see a guy who was successful at his prior job, yeah Bzzz had some success at AFA, but he didn't have any real success at Colorado. The best that can be said about his time there is that at times they didn't stink as bad as they had stunk before he got there.

Back