• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Buyout ?

91deac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
I don't follow the details on coach's contracts / salaries as closely as you guys, but I was thinking about the economics of keeping buzz and started wondering:

1 - what would normal buyout be for a coach like buzz?

2 - how many additional fans would we need next year to cover the cost of the buyout?

For example, if the buyout is $1 mm and the average ticket price is $20, we would need an extra 50,000 in attendance or about 3,000 per game.

I don't follow the details on coach's contracts / salaries as closely as you guys, but I was thinking about the economics of keeping buzz and started wondering:

1 - what would normal buyout be for a coach like buzz?
2 - how many additional fans would we need next year to cover the cost of the buyout?

For example, if the buyout is $1 mm and the average ticket price is $20, we would need an extra 50,000 in attendance or about 3,000 per game.

Socks and ugly ties????

Buyouts are usually based upon an agreed upon percentage of the initial contract multiplied by number of years left on the contract. As far as number of fans to cover it, it might require near sell out crowds for a couple of years. Since that can't be guaranteed, a high roller is usually sweet talked into backing all or some of the buy out. Then the funds have to be raised to hire a competent (then again, maybe not) coach.

I've heard 3 years and 5 years but not sure which is the correct one

NO WAY it is more than 3 years... If it is, then Wellman should be held accountable.. What reasonable institution would guarantee 5 years for someone who is a risky/controversial hire and also take less than 5 years in a hot minute. Horrible decision if he gave this fool 5 years

NO WAY it is more than 3 years... If it is, then Wellman should be held accountable.. What reasonable institution would guarantee 5 years for someone who is a risky/controversial hire and also take less than 5 years in a hot minute. Horrible decision if he gave this fool 5 years

So you agree that it's likely at this point

If it's 3 years, we should get word of a contract extension soon after the season ends. To help with recruiting.

If you made the horrible decision to hire Bz, why would you also not make the horrible decision to give him 5 years.

It would be ridiculous to give a new coach a 3 year contract. I've never heard of it. Typically, first contract is 4-6 years. My understanding is that [Redacted]'s is a 4 year. The length of the contract is really what matters anyway, it's the buyout that matters.

No telling what the buyout was. Could range from a pittance to 100% of the remaining contract value. I would guess towards the lower end.

Hold onto your hats: I think [Redacted] will either be fired or extended after this season, almost certainly the latter. It'd be Wellman drawing a line and stepping on one side or another. He can't be buzzwait.

(ETA: assuming recent results are indicative of how we end our season)

Last edited:
We should offer a buyout based on his acc win percentage.

"The Buyout". Sounds like the title of ESPN's follow up to "The Season" in which they follow the regression of Wake basketball.

Back