• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COACH BUZZ'S SALARY (OOPS)

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
ACC Men's Basketball Coaches guaranteed annual salary:

1) Mike Krzyzewski, Duke - $4,195,519

2) Mark Turgeon, Maryland - $1,900,000

3) Tony Bennett, Virginia - $1,700,000

4) Roy Williams, North Carolina - $1,655,000

5) Leonard Hamilton, Florida State - $1,503,500

6) Seth Greenberg, Virginia Tech - $1,415,159

7) Mark Gottfried, North Carolina State - $1,200,000

8) Jim Larranaga, Miami - $1,100,000

9) Brian Gregory, Georgia Tech - $1,000,000

10) Steve Donahue, Boston College - nearly $1 million, according to the Boston Globe

11) Brad Brownell, Clemson - $923,300

* Wake Forest Coach Jeff [Redacted]'s contract information could not be found.

http://dc.sbnation.com/2011/7/16/22...ach-mark-turgeon-is-second-highest-paid-coach

ACC Men's Basketball Coaches guaranteed annual salary:

1) Mike Krzyzewski, Duke - $4,195,519

2) Mark Turgeon, Maryland - $1,900,000

3) Tony Bennett, Virginia - $1,700,000

4) Roy Williams, North Carolina - $1,655,000

5) Leonard Hamilton, Florida State - $1,503,500

6) Seth Greenberg, Virginia Tech - $1,415,159

7) Mark Gottfried, North Carolina State - $1,200,000

8) Jim Larranaga, Miami - $1,100,000

9) Brian Gregory, Georgia Tech - $1,000,000

10) Steve Donahue, Boston College - nearly $1 million, according to the Boston Globe

11) Brad Brownell, Clemson - $923,300

* Wake Forest Coach Jeff [Redacted]'s contract information could not be found.

http://dc.sbnation.com/2011/7/16/22...ach-mark-turgeon-is-second-highest-paid-coach

Any amount is too much.

Like Momma Irish always said, "You get what you pay for."

Roy also probably gets a ton of incentive pay not listed here. It is sad to note that Turgeon is second highest paid in the conference. Really says a lot about the state of coaching in the ACC now.

Greenberg makes a lot more than he has achieved to date. (hasn't done anything major)

Roy also probably gets a ton of incentive pay not listed here. It is sad to note that Turgeon is second highest paid in the conference. Really says a lot about the state of coaching in the ACC now.

That's what I was thinking...that has to be just his base salary. But the salary reported for the rat must be his total (base+incentives)...one would think.

Could explain why the football program sucks, though.

Wow, had no idea K made that much. He probably gets a lot more incentive based pay as well...

Wouldn't surprise me if [Redacted] was the lowest-paid coach in the ACC. Probably indicative of the money we had to work with having to pay Dino's buyout

ETA: And we would probably have even less to work with if we had to pay [Redacted] a buyout. One of the big reasons he isn't going anywhere.

My guess for [Redacted] would be 8th or 9th. He made $950k at Colorado.

I am sure Roy makes more then that. These numbers can be really hard to nail down when state schools split the salary between themselves and their booster club (like UNC does).

Turgeon and Bennett are the only home run hires the ACC has made over the past 3 years. Makes sense they are towards the top of the list.

Guarantee you he's not making less than he made at Colorado. This article is from 2007:
The contract includes an annual guaranteed salary of $750,000 and numerous incentives. Colorado will also pay Air Force the $270,000 buyout clause that is contained in [Redacted]'s contract with the Falcons.
I remember when he signed with Wake Colorado said they were owed $500,000. How did that end up? Did Wake end up paying it? I think the reason we don't see his salary is not because he's the lowest paid coach but because people would be seriously pissed if they saw what he makes.
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/features/articles/47523-colorado-tabs-air-forces-[Redacted]-as-new-basketball-coach

Is that from K's 2004 contract after he flirted with the Lakers?

He deserves that much anyway.

We don't see his salary because Wake never explicitly releases salaries. State schools are obligated to do so, but private schools don't. They come out via tax forms that are released to the public but those forms run a lag. I'm surprised that specific numbers were available for Larranga for this reason.

I believe that [Redacted] was signed to a new contact at Colorado at some point that paid ~$950k, but maybe I am recalling wrong. There was a $500k buyout that applied only if Colorado broke ground on a new practice facility by January 2010 or something. They nominally broke construction in time but didn't actually begin construction until after [Redacted] was hired here. Rumor has it that he didn't feel like he should have to pay it, but they threatened legal action so [Redacted] (not Wake Forest) and Colorado came to some kind of settlement. We did not pay it.

Gotta laugh at Wake refusing to disclose his salary. Almost as laughable as the official attendance figures at the Joel.

I believe that [Redacted] was signed to a new contact at Colorado at some point that paid ~$950k, but maybe I am recalling wrong. There was a $500k buyout that applied only if Colorado broke ground on a new practice facility by January 2010 or something. They nominally broke construction in time but didn't actually begin construction until after [Redacted] was hired here. Rumor has it that he didn't feel like he should have to pay it, but they threatened legal action so [Redacted] (not Wake Forest) and Colorado came to some kind of settlement. We did not pay it.

I think you're right about the $950,000 figure but I can't find the article stating that.

Gotta laugh at Wake refusing to disclose his salary. Almost as laughable as the official attendance figures at the Joel.

Again, we never disclose salaries. We can paint an inaccurate portrait of what our basketball and football head coaches are paid because the salaries of the top ten highest paid employees are included in the 990 forms.

It isn't as if Wake refused to disclose [Redacted]'s salary specifically.

Isn't MD in all kinds of financial trouble? Why are they paying Turgeon $1.9?

Wouldn't surprise me if [Redacted] was the lowest-paid coach in the ACC. Probably indicative of the money we had to work with having to pay Dino's buyout

ETA: And we would probably have even less to work with if we had to pay [Redacted] a buyout. One of the big reasons he isn't going anywhere.

Whatever Bzz's buyout is, I would take the position that we don't owe it. Fire his ass, don't pay it to him, and let him sue to get it. I imagine that regardless of the stated buyout, there is a clause that voids it for conduct by Bzz that amounts to a felony, moral turpitude, conduct detrimental to the school, etc. Use this board as example 1A to make this shitshow fit in to one of those catchalls unless he can prove otherwise. Would he really want his record debated in court?

Back