• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz blamed players back to 2004

Meh

What I find much more fascinating is what is it about buzz's personality that he takes on these guaranteed failures?

He took over one of the league's worst teams in 2002 and though the Nuggets tied for the worst record his first year, they were much better defensively and became known for their hardworking ways.

A roster overhaul and the addition of Carmelo Anthony made a huge difference last season. Denver improved 26 games to 43-39 in the sixth-best turnaround in league history, reaching the playoffs for the first time in nine years.

None of it seemed to help [Redacted]'s status.

Vandeweghe refused to address [Redacted]'s contract situation all last season and it seemed the only reason the coach was back this year was because of a contract clause that called for his one-year option to be picked up if the Nuggets made the playoffs.

"None of us have any guarantees on tomorrow," [Redacted] said. "I've seen coaches with five or six years left on their contract and get let go and players not responding to them. So I was proud of the effort our players had exhibited over the last several games."

[Redacted] might not have helped the situation.

After a nationally televised 19-point loss to Cleveland on Dec. 3, [Redacted] questioned whether his team was in shape and he has said on numerous occasions that his team wasn't giving full effort. Those aren't exactly the comments of a coach who has the ear of his players.

So if your player are out of shape and not making the effort plus your GM is not backing you up, you should just sit there and take it.

He took over one of the league's worst teams in 2002 and though the Nuggets tied for the worst record his first year, they were much better defensively and became known for their hardworking ways.

A roster overhaul and the addition of Carmelo Anthony made a huge difference last season. Denver improved 26 games to 43-39 in the sixth-best turnaround in league history, reaching the playoffs for the first time in nine years.

None of it seemed to help [Redacted]'s status.

Vandeweghe refused to address [Redacted]'s contract situation all last season and it seemed the only reason the coach was back this year was because of a contract clause that called for his one-year option to be picked up if the Nuggets made the playoffs.

"None of us have any guarantees on tomorrow," [Redacted] said. "I've seen coaches with five or six years left on their contract and get let go and players not responding to them. So I was proud of the effort our players had exhibited over the last several games."

[Redacted] might not have helped the situation.

After a nationally televised 19-point loss to Cleveland on Dec. 3, [Redacted] questioned whether his team was in shape and he has said on numerous occasions that his team wasn't giving full effort. Those aren't exactly the comments of a coach who has the ear of his player.

So if your player are out of shape and not making the effort plus your GM is not backing you up, you should just sit there and take it.

I can selectively bold too.

Meh

What I find much more fascinating is what is it about buzz's personality that he takes on these guaranteed failures?

But were we a guaranteed failure? Or are you just referring to his prior resume?

Buzz did not appear to have Vandeweghe's support: no new contract after he turned the team around dramatically. The players must have known. The question is why did Vandeweghe fire Buzz? I've never seen an answer to that question.

Once a coach is dissed by the management in the NBA, the players tune him out knowing the GM will use any excuse to fire him.

KiKi also undermined what [Redacted] had started the previous year by grossly overpaying the dog that is KMart.

I understand this won't get through to the Buzzhaters, but this was hardly a one way street.

By the way, I doubt you'll find ANY coach in the NBA who hasn't decried his team's lack of effort during the season.

Buzz did not appear to have Vandeweghe's support: no new contract after he turned the team around dramatically. The players must have known. The question is why did Vandeweghe fire Buzz? I've never seen an answer to that question.

Kiki let it leak that [Redacted] (correctly) opposed maxing KMart and signing him. Once that happened it was over.

I think Nuggets hired [Redacted] to help them get the worst record in the league so they would have a better chance at Lebron.

I can selectively bold too.

So we can conclude there are statements in this article that supports both sides to the argument. As opposed to the intent of posting this as a slam on Bzzz.

83, what are you thniknig? You aren't sallowed t oshow anything other than [Redacted] is the anti-Christ on this board.

If you say something bad is 60% his fault and 40% out of his control, you are saying he's a combination of Red Auerbach, Red Holtzman and John Wooden to the irrational Buzzouters.

83, what are you thniknig? You aren't sallowed t oshow anything other than [Redacted] is the anti-Christ on this board.

If you say something bad is 60% his fault and 40% out of his control, you are saying he's a combination of Red Auerbach, Red Holtzman and John Wooden to the irrational Buzzouters.

You are really an idiot RJ. I said nothing of the like. I think this article says more bad about [Redacted] than it does good. He's open to disagree.

I think it is funny that the article lauds [Redacted] for how hard the team played despite being bad, yet look how hard we play.

This year's team does play much harder than last year's team. If you don't see that it's because you don't to see it.

If you understand the NBA, the part that spoke about not getting an extrension is a red flag. You'd understand the as soon as that happens players tune out the coach and his days are immediately numbered.

In essence, Kiki fired [Redacted] that day. He should have just doen it thne and not wasted the first 40% of the season.

As to his players not being in shape or gving enough effort, Phil Jackson used to say that after wins sometimes. Every coach in the NBA says that. It's a cliche.

I think Kiki knew from the beginning that Bz sucked ass and the turnaround was despite of him rather than because of him.

Kiki was tanking that season. That's why he put together such a horrible roster.

RJKarl, king of hyperbole

I think Kiki knew from the beginning that Bz sucked ass and the turnaround was despite of him rather than because of him.

Yeah, if the 6th "greatest turnaround in league history" was so attributable to Bz, I'd think that not only would his boss have his back, but other NBA teams would be knocking on his door when he got back on the job market. Now I can't claim to know who did or didn't contact Bz about another NBA head coaching job, but you don't see many people turn down the league for an academy.

Kiki was tanking that season. That's why he put together such a horrible roster.

what better way to tank than hiring [Redacted]?

i wish there was an ncaa draft of high school peeps, we would be stacked!

RJKarl, king of hyperbole

The only time I've ever seen Auerbach, Krzyzewski, et al mentioned were by the Bz-fenders saying "not even those guys could win with this Wake Forest team".

Back