• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Long Time Buzz In Calls It Quits. Hire Chill or Battle as Interim Coach

88Deac

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
No nice way to say it. And I do hope we don't start burning cars and whatnot in the streets. He still has a daughter at Wake, too, so let's have some class about it. I am now in favor of relieving Coach Bzdeilk of his duties effective immediately, and letting Chill or Battle take over for the remainder of the season. I think Mr. Wellman has to know it is time to move on. It just didn't work.

Coach [Redacted] tried his best in a very tough situation, so I think we should have the class to say thanks, but it didn't work. There is no need for the nastiness.

My request is for a simple (and CIVIL) poll as to whether you think Jeff Battle or Randolph Childress should be named head basketball coach effective immediately. Vitriol gets you nowhere in life. It just makes you look like an emotional idiot, so spare us the nasty-grams. Thanks.

I hate to say it... but I highly doubt Battle would even go along with that hypothetical direction & I don't think its logical for Chill to be considered at this point.

I'd love for Battle to finish the season, though I think it would be in everyone's best interest for him to start fresh next year in another gig.

If Childress and Battle don't want the job I nominate any random name in the Winston-Salem phone book.

If Battle would take it, give it to him. I know the guys respect him and he knows basketball. But with him almost leaving last season, we'd have to know he WANTED the job. Personally, I'd just prefer to go outside of the program. Call Shaka tonight, wish him and the Rams luck for the rest of the season and do whatever it takes to get his bags packed for Winston as soon as his season ends. Let Bzz finish the season while in the background we find someone to clean up this mess...

Hmm, I think Battle might do it since there are rumors he's leaving after this year anyway, no?

Chill is fine where he is as an assistant-AD. Doesn't make any sense for him to move from there to the interim bball position.

If you could get Battle on board... I think he's an ideal interim coach & I'd be pulling as hard as I possibly could for the players to make him look great.

In reality... I just can't see a guy that deferred the chance after Prosser passed away wanting to take over the debacle that the program has become.

If you could get Battle on board... I think he's an ideal interim coach & I'd be pulling as hard as I possibly could for the players to make him look great.

In reality... I just can't see a guy that deferred the chance after Prosser passed away wanting to take over the debacle that the program has become.

He had family obligations then. Chill is a wild card. Depends what he wants to do. He could be the next K or the next Magic Johnson on the bench, or he may really want to be an AD. I think he loves the sidelines and fight a bit too much to be an AD. We need a coach who lives and breathes leadership and toughness.

If we are going to take a flyer on a young unproven coach, then let's hire Wes Miller.

If not Gregg Marshall.

Battle would do it. Everybody knows we suck ass. He looks good for stepping up with no expectations. Still leaves at end of year with head held high. I think it would actually look worse if people thought he said no. Plus, it might give him some more props for stepping up and doing the right thing.

Battle deferred then because of a family health issue. I would hope that he would be able to step up this time. I'd really like to see him get a chance to finish out the season.

I like the Gregg Marshall idea. Wichita State just went on the road and crushed #15 Creighton.

Something about Marshall worries me. Between success at Winthrop and some success with Wichita, if some big school were going to come after him, I feel like they would have by now. Dude has been a hot mid major name for several years, but he's still there. Just a red flag to me.

I'm sure there's a dating analogy there, bit I'lleave it to ph to figure it out.

Something about Marshall worries me. Between success at Winthrop and some success with Wichita, if some big school were going to come after him, I feel like they would have by now. Dude has been a hot mid major name for several years, but he's still there. Just a red flag to me.

I'm sure there's a dating analogy there, bit I'lleave it to ph to figure it out.

My understanding is that he's a huge prick. I am fine with that because he's a winner.

Unfortunately I am pretty much in the boat as well. A loss like that to this Clemson team cannot be defended.

I respectfully disagree with your reasoning for the red-flag.

Success at Winthrop leads to an opportunity at a school like Wichita State.

Success at Wichita State (which, has only been clearly evident in the past year) leads to an opportunity at a ACC school.

He had that at NC State last year; unless there's something I don't know about the guy... I would not be disappointed if he had it at Wake this year.

In contrast to a guy like Bz... Marshall's career ladder makes 1,000,000 times more sense & as I've said (in my opinion)... Wake really can be an absolute top-tier job for the right coach. The fact he didn't want to be in Raleigh w/ frickin' NC State does nothing to disprove that.

Danny Hurley at Wagner along with Bobby as assistant. Danny's a legit coach. We apparently want to be Duke anyway...at least we'll win and they will definitely be able to recruit

Back