• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Athletic Director prospects...

coredeac

Reaction score
Once Hatch and/or the Trustees realize they need to essentially reboot the athletic program, I hope this guy is on the short list.

http://www.kstatesports.com/genrel/currie_john00.html

There is no question John Currie has hit the ground running and made a lasting impact in his first two years as Kansas State's Director of Athletics. From implementing a new communications plan the day he was being introduced as K-State's 15th Athletics Director on May 18, 2009, to consistently emphasizing the importance of transparency and accountability as well as the student-athlete and fan experience, Currie has laid a solid foundation for K-State achieving its vision of a model intercollegiate athletics program.

WFU grad, 1993.

Who else ya' got?

Last edited:
Serious question: how much power does Hatch really have here? I have always been under the impression that his input takes a backseat to that of the Trustees.

BillGeorge hit the liquor cabinet a little hard tonight.

BillGeorge hit the liquor cabinet a little hard tonight.

If I had single-handedly run the basketball program into the shitter I would be drunk too.

actually, I had nothing to do with this debacle and am drunk anyway...

Serious question: how much power does Hatch really have here? I have always been under the impression that his input takes a backseat to that of the Trustees.

Fair enough point. I'll modify my original post to include and/or trustees.

Fair enough point. I'll modify my original post to include and/or trustees.

I don't think any of the trustees have a vested interest in us sucking this hard. I think your nomination is #1 on any list. Actually, should be the list until he says no.

Wellman isn't going anywhere nor should he. He's got to fix this, and if he screws it up royally again then maybe this needs to be brought up but he's done a great job up until this hire.

Wellman isn't going anywhere nor should he. He's got to fix this, and if he screws it up royally again then maybe this needs to be brought up but he's done a great job up until this hire.

Hiring Charlene Curtis, Jim Caldwell and running off George Greer and Dave Odom come to mind. Also tried to fire Dailey until the golf alums told him to leave her alone.

So, no. He has NOT done a great job until this hire.

Hiring Charlene Curtis, Jim Caldwell and running off George Greer and Dave Odom come to mind. Also tried to fire Dailey until the golf alums told him to leave her alone.

So, no. He has NOT done a great job until this hire.

Congrats on having an opinion. He's not the only person that's hired Jim Caldwell in case you haven't noticed, so i'd bet he has some redeeming qualities. Skip Prosser, Jim Grobe, Deacon Towers, new Tennis complex, Soccer coach, baseball coach, and several other hires severely trump his bad hires in my mind, and in the mind of all alumni I personally know.

How many voting trustees are there? Forty? Fifty? Expecting a part time board of that size to make any decision that is controversial and not an emergency is incredibly optimistic.

Congrats on having an opinion. He's not the only person that's hired Jim Caldwell in case you haven't noticed, so i'd bet he has some redeeming qualities. Skip Prosser, Jim Grobe, Deacon Towers, new Tennis complex, Soccer coach, baseball coach, and several other hires severely trump his bad hires in my mind, and in the mind of all alumni I personally know.

... and look! Jim Caldwell JUST GOT HIRED AGAIN!!!

I realize my thread is controversial and I have no doubt the current AD minions will fan out to quiet the storm. That's fine with me.

The bottom line is that our basketball program, a MAJOR revenue sport, has been completely ruined and will take years to repair. Our football program is hanging by a thread
with the last three seasons being LOSING seasons.

If you want to defend the guy responsible for this. By all means. Feel free.

Last edited:

He hired Caldwell, Rembilak, Petersen, Bennett right?

Wellman, other than this bizarre basketball stuff, has done a good job.

George Greer was never going to come close to duplicating the success he had with Moranda stockpiling the talent for him. He was 4-20 in the ACC his last year and he was getting up there in years.

Odom had an extension offer on the table, and tried playing us for more money.

And Jim Caldwell was the coach of the Indianapolis Colts. Are you really arguing he wasn't a good hire for Wake? David Cutcliffe is an excellent hire for Duke. It's hard to win at Wake or Duke. Grobe was a freakin' home run.

John Currie is one helluva nice guy & apparently a great AD !

Caldwell was hired as the Colts coach in 2009. He was hired as Wake Forest coach in 1993.

Yes, I'm saying he wasn't a good hire.

Caldwell was hired as the Colts coach in 2009. He was hired as Wake Forest coach in 1993.

Yes, I'm saying he wasn't a good hire.

I'm only adding here.

Caldwell was handed the Colts job on a silver platter by Tony Dungy.

Well, Wake Forest is more often than not going to have worse football coach hires than other schools regardless of who the AD is because the failure rate is going to be much higher.

I thought Caldwell being a successful assistant at a big time program and the advantages of being a minority coach was a good risk for the football program to make.

Back