• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student Thoughts?

7dimes

Reaction score
For the students on this board, what do people on campus think of this debacle? Do people care? The faculty? Is there a push for change or have the students simply given up?

There are a lot of reasons for going to wake, but big-time sports always made Wake an easier place to survive when the school felt too small or the work got overwhelming. I also loved the fact that most of the students knew the athletes. It made Wake special. I'd hate to think of four years without that...it simply would not be the same experience.

From what I can tell they generally agree with this guy:

"Jeff was an instrumental part of the Miami HEAT in the early years. He was an incredible resource and played a key role in us re-launching the organization. He was a very hard-working and dedicated scout and then as he has moved on in his career has become a very good head coach. I wish him nothing but the best. Wake Forest has picked the right man."
- Pat Riley, President, Miami Heat

I'd say that there is a general sense of apathy among the students towards basketball. Except for the die hard fans who to go basically every game none of the general students actually go to the games nor do they even consider going. They've just determined that attending basketball games just isn't worth their time.

From what I can tell they generally agree with this guy:

"Jeff was an instrumental part of the Miami HEAT in the early years. He was an incredible resource and played a key role in us re-launching the organization. He was a very hard-working and dedicated scout and then as he has moved on in his career has become a very good head coach. I wish him nothing but the best. Wake Forest has picked the right man."
- Pat Riley, President, Miami Heat

pat_riley_oj_mayo.png

Wake basketball is now just a chance to go and see UNC and Duke play in person without having to pay for tickets for most of the students

I graduated last year, and most people did not care. Glad that I got a few decent years on the front end.

Students don't care. On the rare occasion WFU basketball comes up they laugh at how bad we are.

I'd say that there is a general sense of apathy among the students towards basketball. Except for the die hard fans who to go basically every game none of the general students actually go to the games nor do they even consider going. They've just determined that attending basketball games just isn't worth their time.

This mostly, although people are getting upset at how bad we are around here.

Man that's sad. Bball was awesome when I was there. So many memories of awesome games, and that wasnt even the duncan or cp3 eras. I guess that apathy sums up how a lot of people felt about football, except we still went to all those games because the tailgates were epic and we'd steal a victory every once in a while.

You've never been able to shut me up Riles

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the smartest, most knowledgeable, hardest working coaches I have ever worked with. His teams in the NBA and college have achieved beyond their talent levels. Recruits to Wake Forest will play for a coach who was successful in the NBA for a long time and will teach them what they need to know to make it to the NBA."
- Stan Van Gundy, Head Coach, Orlando Magic

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the smartest, most knowledgeable, hardest working coaches I have ever worked with. His teams in the NBA and college have achieved beyond their talent levels. Recruits to Wake Forest will play for a coach who was successful in the NBA for a long time and will teach them what they need to know to make it to the NBA."
- Stan Van Gundy, Head Coach, Orlando Magic

The face of a man whose opinion I trust...

pg2_g_gundy1x_sq_300.jpg

Paladeac,
How can you defend Bzzz when you watch these games, post game interviews, and then read quotes from students saying that no one even cares anymore?

The face of a man whose opinion I trust...

pg2_g_gundy1x_sq_300.jpg

Deacons historically trust and hire a face like this

"Jeff is very highly regarded in the NBA and could have had a long career in this league if that is what he wanted. It is a great hire for Wake Forest. He will bring energy and enthusiasm to the team along with a ton of experience. Wake Forest has hired a good man for the long run. Deacon fans will be pleased with Jeff's ability and energy. He has a Wake Forest-type personality. It takes a special talent to be a Demon Deacon, and Jeff has that talent."
- Pat Williams (Class of 1962), Senior Vice President, Orlando Magic

Whoops this was meant for you palma03:

How can you defend this hire when you watch these games, post game interviews, and then read quotes from current students saying that no one even cares anymore?

I'm pretty sure it's sarcastic.

Whoops this was meant for you palma03:

How can you defend this hire when you watch these games, post game interviews, and then read quotes from current students saying that no one even cares anymore?

I don't like the hire really much, but I think the dude got dealt a pretty bad hand. He has like nothing to work with. I'm fairly sure we're running Stevens outta town if we hired him instead of bzzz, because I'm not sure much would have turned out differently.

That being said, someone has to get axed and you can't axe your players. If the guy was 40 years old I'd be more inclined to give him more time.

I think [Redacted] has helped to ensure there are very few students posting on this board.

I think [Redacted] has helped to ensure there are very few students posting on this board.
I agree that we lack talent, but we are simply not competitive in a weak acc. It's one thing to get blasted by UNC or Duke this year, but Clemson? UVA has decent talent, at best, but they have a great system and they play defense. We were never going to be good this year, but a passionate coach and moderate improvement would have gone a long way. We should be competitive with the lower half of the ACC with CJ and Travis.
The fact that the students no longer care is really sad...they deserve that experience and should fight for it. I'm not saying we'll return to the top in the next two years but those games are fun as hell when we're competing and the building is rocking.

Back