• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Man, I miss Skip

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
No, not just because of the crap pile that is our basketball program now, but Skip was such a great face and ambassador for Wake Forest. I mean Skip really seemed to embrace Wake Forest. It's been posted about how much he supported the other sports at Wake, especially football. Also, how much he tried to involve and embrace the students and fans. I know Skip had his limitations as a coach. He didn't stress defense, his teams played a little bit reckless at times. Heck, if Skip hadn't passed, maybe he would've been canned by now, I don't know. However, looking back on it and comparing his time here to what is going on now, really makes me miss him.

I have a picture of Skip and I - taken graduation weekend 2007, just a few months before his death. For the 4 years I was there, some of my best memories involve seeing him around campus, at tailgates, or during pre-game warm ups. Even the small things - coming up and talking to a bunch of us before a big game - sitting on the away team's bench while he wrote down his notes.

... great representative of WFU.

I have a picture of Skip and I - taken graduation weekend 2007, just a few months before his death. For the 4 years I was there, some of my best memories involve seeing him around campus, at tailgates, or during pre-game warm ups. Even the small things - coming up and talking to a bunch of us before a big game - sitting on the away team's bench while he wrote down his notes.

... great representative of WFU.

I cherish those years forever. He was a really special coach and person.

http://chazsports.blogspot.com/2005/...only-hope.html

One can only hope Skip Prosser made a mental note of what it felt like to walk off the court Saturday night in Cleveland, after West Virginia shocked his heavily-favored Wake Forest team in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. With three vital seniors graduating and the very-real possibility of Chris Paul bolting to the NBA, it could be a long time before Prosser has another chance to run a team this talented into the ground.
Wake’s double-overtime loss showed the country what Deac fans have known for too long; Skip Prosser is a terrible head coach. The team’s lack of any defensive strategy, their substitution patterns and total disregard for the Mountaineers when they were down 13 can all be pinned on Prosser, who now joins Bob Huggins as coaches whose careers can best be summed up by their Tournament failures.
Prosser had it all on this Wake Forest team. A bruising center who could dominate the low post, a tall, athletic rebounder at the four, a third guard off the bench with a sharpshooter’s touch, a scoring shooting guard and an all-world sophomore running the show. This team had the talent to win it all. Look at the roster of every remaining team in the NCAA Tournament. With the exception of North Carolina, perhaps, not one team is close to being as talented as Wake Forest.

But it takes more than talent alone to make it to the Final Four, it takes a coach who can make his players better. And, with the exception of Eric Williams, whose improvement can be attributed to losing weight and maturing, every single player on Wake Forest either regressed or saw their play stay stagnant compared to last year.

Jamaal Levy and Justin Gray played worse in 2005 than they did in 2004. Trent Strickland was the most athletic member of the team for the second straight year, but couldn’t rein in his poor decision making and harness his talents. Chris Paul again showed flashes of brilliance, but wasn’t the star on the defensive end he should have been. Vytas Danelius added the deep ball to his repertoire, but still wasn’t the player he was back in 2003.
Prosser should have had these guys on the top of their games headed into this season. And they were, at least on the offensive end. But the team’s Achilles Heel was always its defense and that showed on Saturday as they gave up 34 points in the ten minutes of overtime (that would come out to 136 points over a 40 minute game).

Except for the possessions ending regulation and the first overtime and once in the middle of the second OT, West Virginia scored every time they touched the ball in the game’s last 12 minutes. That’s inexcusable, even if they were shooting lights-out from the floor.
Defense is what has killed Skip Prosser’s team all year, and it’s what ended their season prematurely in the second round.
Now the Wake Forest Demon Deacons are forced to play a game of “what-if” for the next seven months. What if Jamaal Levy could have hit one more free throw? What if the refs hadn’t made a terrible charging call on Taron Downey? What if one West Virginia shot rattled out? What if Trent Strickland’s three pointer had fallen?

There will be hundreds of what-ifs that Wake Forest players, coaches and fans will play out in the head before next season. But the most important one to ask is this: “What if Skip Prosser wasn’t the Wake Forest head coach?”
Well, for one, today we’d be looking ahead to the Deacs next game instead of sulking over their last one.

- Some other quick thoughts on Wake’s loss to West Virginia:

Wake Forest’s guards went 18-20 from the free-throw line (the two misses were the last two free throws shot by both Chris Paul and Taron Downey though). The rest of the team shot 6-16 from the line, including missing the front-end of three one-and-ones. Eric Williams and Jamaal Levy finished 3-12. If they had hit on just 50% of their attempts, Wake would have advanced to the Sweet 16.

Skip's teams probably played even less defense than what we're seeing now, but he didn't seem to care because we lit up the scoreboard- and it was sure fun to watch! :D

I loved it when Skip would wander into Benson and sit down to chat with students. Too awesome.

From what I heard, when the team would travel somewhere, Skip would either lecture the kids or have a professor lecture the kids about the location. Then, he would have them write a paper.

Moron quotes a guy's blog called 'chazsports' - ha.

"... every single player on Wake Forest either regressed or saw their play stay stagnant compared to last year."

I don't know the statistics off hand, but I wouldn't call Chris Paul's play sophomore year 'regressing'.

Either way, the OP commented about how even when Skip had his limitations in certain aspects of X's and O's - he was a great ambassador for the University and someone we were all proud to have as part of our athletic program.

I don't know if another university in the country had 2 coaches that better personified the traits of a school than we did with Skip and Grobe.

Bz would have been a good assistant coach for Skip I bet

I don't know if another university in the country had 2 coaches that better personified the traits of a school than we did with Skip and Grobe.

Again, as I stated in the original post, I know Skip had his limitations and liabilities as a coach, but in 40 years of being a Deac I have never felt better about our 2 majors sports then I did with Grobe and Skip at the helms. Thankfully we've still got Grobie.

Moron quotes a guy's blog called 'chazsports' - ha.

"... every single player on Wake Forest either regressed or saw their play stay stagnant compared to last year."

I don't know the statistics off hand, but I wouldn't call Chris Paul's play sophomore year 'regressing'.

Either way, the OP commented about how even when Skip had his limitations in certain aspects of X's and O's - he was a great ambassador for the University and someone we were all proud to have as part of our athletic program.

No need to feed the troll.

Skip's teams probably played even less defense than what we're seeing now, but he didn't seem to care because we lit up the scoreboard- and it was sure fun to watch! :D

I would rather have W's and really don't care if it was exciting basketball as long as we won. 111-105 in 2OT was exciting but still a loss and a bad post season loss at that.

Give me an 82-80 thrilling OT win in the ACCT finals

Bz would have been a good assistant coach for Skip I bet

Seriously, I think Bzzz is probably a pretty good assistant, but to be the face of a program he just isn't it. He doesn't have the personality or seemingly willingness to promote a program. I get the feeling he'd rather be having a root canal than doing pressers or the coaches show. I don't think he's done much to embrace the students or the fans. I just think you need more out of a head coach than just knowing basketball inside and out, you've also got to be a promoter and a great teacher.

Seriously, I think Bzzz is probably a pretty good assistant, but to be the face of a program he just isn't it. He doesn't have the personality or seemingly willingness to promote a program. I get the feeling he'd rather be having a root canal than doing pressers or the coaches show. I don't think he's done much to embrace the students or the fans. I just think you need more out of a head coach than just knowing basketball inside and out, you've also got to be a promoter and a great teacher.

I am not [Redacted] fan, and he could definitely stand to be more charismatic, but Grobe isn't really a promoter either, at least not with students.

Skip was perfect in so many ways as a person and representative for the school. And I, like everyone else, really miss him and missed him long before we hired this unwiped ass clown of a coach we have now.

That article is right though. Tragedies tend to deify people, and Skip is no exception. We were never gonna go to a FF with him coaching, and man during JG and EW's senior years we were inexcusably bad. There were more than a few folks eager to dump him off if he didn't right the ship soon. Oddly enough, I think Dino did more with the team he inherited than Skip would have because we played some defense that year.

Back