• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Attendance

"A Charisma Deficit"

Well, at least [Redacted] now has the title for his autobiography.

-----------
Although he thinks they're capable coaches, Odom said the current ACC crop appears as though it "came out of a chemistry lab."
----------------
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​

The last one is the most important. Most of the teams in the ACC are hot garbage. Bodes well for getting a new TV contract

Yeah - they should have just put this and ended the article:

Lousier Teams, Period

Although No. 5 Duke and No. 8 North Carolina are once again having strong seasons, the ACC is just the fifth-best conference in the country, according to statistician Ken Pomeroy's rankings.

The conference sucks. The quality of play is at it's lowest point probably in the history of the league. You know why 2004 had such high attendance? The league was LOADED. The ACC got one 1 seed, two 3 seeds, two 4 seeds and one 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. In a 9 team league.

Expansion didn't make Georgia Tech, Maryland, Wake Forest and NCSU fall off a damn cliff. Poor management, bad coaching hires and poor recruiting did. Those are the 4 most historically successful programs in the modern era of the ACC not named UNC or Duke and for all 4 to collapse at once has really, really hurt the league.

The last one is the most important. Most of the teams in the ACC are hot garbage. Bodes well for getting a new TV contract

Rumors are that existing ACC schools netted $1-2 million more per year, though I haven't seen anything that says the deal is final and signed.

The conference sucks. The quality of play is at it's lowest point probably in the history of the league. You know why 2004 had such high attendance? The league was LOADED. The ACC got one 1 seed, two 3 seeds, two 4 seeds and one 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. In a 9 team league.

Expansion didn't make Georgia Tech, Maryland, Wake Forest and NCSU fall off a damn cliff. Poor management, bad coaching hires and poor recruiting did. Those are the 4 most historically successful programs in the modern era of the ACC not named UNC or Duke and for all 4 to collapse at once has really, really hurt the league.

Lee Fowler, probably the most inept AD in history, did more to drag us down than I thought was humanly possible. We will be paying for that clown's mistakes for a couple of more years at the minimum.

Good post.

-----------
Although he thinks they're capable coaches, Odom said the current ACC crop appears as though it "came out of a chemistry lab."
----------------
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​

Ironic since Dave looked like a professor with those glasses he sported in the 1990s.

When the ACC has been at it's best you've had all of the Big 4 schools playing well along with the Georgia Tech's and Maryland's playing well. For the past few year's it's been a two team league (Duke and UNC) with the occasional rise of a strong 3rd team like a FSU, BC, or maybe UVA this year (though they've stumbled as of late).

As far as the drop in tickets, some of it's probably economic as well. Tickets aren't cheap though I think they're priced at what they know people have been willing to pay in the past. I know some sports fans who have said they find it more convient to watch the game from home on their tv rather then pay for tickets, parking, concessions, etc.

I doubt many kids coming out of school now know what the "Big Four" is (or was). Maybe our students don't either.

Swofford can brag all he wants about the ACC Tourney attendance. I remember the late 1990s and 2000s when you had to pay the school to get access to buying tickets. Nowadays you can get them anywhere. It's a shame that this has happened. I don't know if its a product of expansion or if it is HD TVs and the like.

HDTV and the explosion of games available every night on cable/satellite is the single biggest reason.

Then combine that with a generally mediocre product on the court (or at Wake, even worse than mediocre).

In a nutshell: Why should I pay thousands of dollars for season tickets to Wake basketball, and then invest a few more thousand in travel expenses (I have an 8-hour roundtrip drive to the Joel, which means a hotel night and a half-day/full-day away from work during the week), when I can watch on a big-screen HDTV with no drive required?

And if I watch Wake (which I increasingly don't), if we are stinking up the joint yet again, I can just surf away to another channel.

And I don't face sitting in the parking mess of the Joel for an hour, then another 4 hours to get home.

Not hard to figure out.

HDTV and the explosion of games available every night on cable/satellite is the single biggest reason.

Then combine that with a generally mediocre product on the court (or at Wake, even worse than mediocre).

In a nutshell: Why should I pay thousands of dollars for season tickets to Wake basketball, and then invest a few more thousand in travel expenses (I have an 8-hour roundtrip drive to the Joel, which means a hotel night and a half-day/full-day away from work during the week), when I can watch on a big-screen HDTV with no drive required?

And if I watch Wake (which I increasingly don't), if we are stinking up the joint yet again, I can just surf away to another channel.

And I don't face sitting in the parking mess of the Joel for an hour, then another 4 hours to get home.

Not hard to figure out.

Obviously a better team in a better league would yield bigger crowds, but does this trend potentially lead to smaller, more intimate venues?

Obviously a better team in a better league would yield bigger crowds, but does this trend potentially lead to smaller, more intimate venues?

Maybe. Outside of pro-football and college football depending on the school, I don't believe many sports venues are packed as they once were. I have argued forever in pro-baseball that the staduims are way too big. I remember reading last year that the Yankees were having trouble selling out their games.

Not hard to figure out.

Agreed. I would add DVR to that as well.

Yeah, there are larger issues with respect to the economy and the crowded entertainment market, the latter for students and fans. There are also conference issues like declining quality and issues specific to each university.

The ACC has done a poor job with letting ESPN brand the Conference. ESPN has turned the league into Carolina, Dook and the ten dwarves.

The decision to add Boston College was turrrrible, and we should contract them in favor of Georgetown. Georgetown is a fine academic school that is also a traditional basketball power and a natural rival for Maryland. We can teach them to play football (it would take about five minutes to get them up to ACC-caliber anyway).

If the ACC refuses to be smart and play a round robin, they should at least bundle its marquee product declare that the week after the Super Bowl (the noncoincidental annual scheduling of the first Dook-UNC game) be re-branded "ACC Hate Week."

ACC Hate Week is as follows:
Monday 7:00 game: Pitt-Syracuse
Tuesday 7:00: Ga Tech-Clemson; 9:00 Miami-Florida State
Wednesday 7:00 Maryland/Georgetown; 9:00 Virginia-Virginia Tech
Thursday 7:00 Wake/State 9:00 UNC/Dook

Repeat same sequence to end the year, adjusting for days of the week.

Back