• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My Theory

kchartley02

Reaction score
Just an idea, but i think its a pretty good one.

Here it is:

Wellman hired Childress and his job description was to assist Wellman. Childress seems to really be getting to know the ball players. I remember at a Seton Hall- Wake gathering at a bar i was talking to Childress and he said he was just getting to know the guys and that he wants to get a better relationship with the younger guys. Am i crazy, or does this sound like some master plan by Wellman. He brought in Childress for recruiting, so he could have recruited the players he wanted kind of not allowing for Buzzkill's opinion. Wellman then is allowing Buzzkill to finish coaching the season then lets him go while hiring Childress himself.

Just an idea. Feedback appreciated.

Chill is by far not the best possible hire, although I love the guy.

Love Chill but the dude has never coached a game on any level.

As opined many times before, snowballs in Hades have better chances.

Any time I see a thread titled like this, I cringe. Then I see 1 post and I assume it's a parody. Then I'm saddened when I find out it's not.

We've all gone off the deep end.

Can we stop with the "great player = great coach" thing yet? I knew Childress while we were at Wake and I stood in awe of him, in person, when did some things that I never thought could happen. The 95 tourney remains a feat that, for me, will likely never be topped.

But that does not mean he'll be a good coach. I'd love it if he could but my fear is that Chill was so self-confident and imbued with such great talent that it would be difficult for him to abide those who just can't "get it" like he does. If he gets a shot, so be it. I'll back him 100%. But I have concerns.

I did discover the other day that Childress has two different job titles. The one on WakeForestSports.com (Assistant to the Director of Athletics) and the one in WIN (Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance). They seem to be mutually exclusive of one another.

I did discover the other day that Childress has two different job titles. The one on WakeForestSports.com (Assistant to the Director of Athletics) and the one in WIN (Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance). They seem to be mutually exclusive of one another.

Assistant (to the) Athletic Director

the-office-spin-off-dwight.jpg

Why the hell do we have a Childress thread every other day theorizing that he will be our coach any time soon? I'd put just about anything on that not happening. He has no experience, even at an assistant level. As much as I love the guy, making him our coach at this juncture would be a monumentally poor decision by Wellman, worse than hiring Buzz.

Maybe Chill is just supposed to be there to make sure that this whole "culture change" thing we're hearing about is actually taking hold.

Can we stop with the "great player = great coach" thing yet? I knew Childress while we were at Wake and I stood in awe of him, in person, when did some things that I never thought could happen. The 95 tourney remains a feat that, for me, will likely never be topped.

But that does not mean he'll be a good coach. I'd love it if he could but my fear is that Chill was so self-confident and imbued with such great talent that it would be difficult for him to abide those who just can't "get it" like he does. If he gets a shot, so be it. I'll back him 100%. But I have concerns.

Ted Williams as manager of the Washington Senators in the early 70's is the best example of this phenomenon that I can remember. He just could not understand why his hitters couldnt produce better than they did. It was so (relatively) simple for him.

As others have stated, I'd prefer that Chill not be officially associated with the current coaching staff that is most likely dunzo after next season.

As others have stated, I'd prefer that Chill not be officially associated with the current coaching staff that is most likely dunzo after next season.

You never can say.

The tide may turn for [Redacted]... he could possibly find an Oracle willing to roll with him. You just can't say.

Makes no sense why Curtis Strange isn't getting consideration?

Childress and Ted Williams is not an apt comparison. I've played against Randolph and he will not wow you with his athleticism. He was though able to see plays develop before it seemed they even started. His mind was 10 steps ahead of you (or me at least ;-)).

If you ask him, he will tell you he made it based on paying attention to details. Of course he was gifted but he was someone who really had to work at it. I think that has the makings of a coach. He of course is not ready for the head job any time soon, but dismissing him because he was a great player is equally as ridiculous as the counter position.

Back