• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's Latest Blog Post

Reaction score
http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/entry/a-team-in-need-is-a-bad-team-indeed/

"But anyone should expect a team to at least compete and in so many of the games since the victory over Virginia Tech the Deacons just haven’t shown they belonged on the floor. They obviously didn’t at home against N.C. State, at Duke, at home against Florida State, at Virginia, at home against Clemson, or in the second half today.

What I’ll be looking for over the final three games of the regular season leading into the ACC Tournament is a team that plays good, solid fundamental basketball—regardless of the score or circumstances. I haven’t seen that often from Wake this season."

Dan's getting close to letting it all out. Join us, Disco.

Truth has become so self evident that even Dan - whom I admire for his writing and "gentlemanliness" - can't take this shit anymore. Please don't hold back. For the good of the university, we need to go in a new direction with the leadership of this team.

This is about as far as Dan can go in his position as a sportswriter and blogger. No doubt he's BuzzOUT.

He claims he'll go further

No way he'll post that [Redacted] has got to go. No way. He says he'll go "deeper" but that doesn't mean saying [Redacted] shouldn't be the coach.

I haven't watched my share of games this season, but I think Dan may have the wrong interpretation of this:

"Some of you in the Macadamia Nut Gallery have expressed the opinion that Wake is not lacking in talent."

Wake lacks talent to win the ACC or be a Top 4 ACC team. It looks like we're going to have 2 of the top 15 (maybe even 10) players in a 12 team league. Wake does not lack the talent to be competitive in an ACC that also seems to lack talent. I think Dan agrees with that premise.

Following Dan through this season has been pretty interesting. As a beat writer he's understandably hesitant to wade too far into the columnist/criticism side of things, but as we've all seen he's clearly headed more and more that direction.

From January-March Dan spends more time with the basketball team than pretty much anyone else not directly affiliated with the team (practices during the week, all the games, etc.) and for him to write things that allude to personal frustration with the situation means one of two things to me:

1. In addition to the poor basketball product, Bzz isn't handling the media relations side of things very well, and since that's basically the majority of Dan's life he gets frustrated by that.

and/or

2. Dan is seeing a program that he's covered for a lot of years (I don't actually know how many) in a worse place than he's seen it at any other point. It's his job to remain objective and not really root for the team he covers. I've talked to him about it and I know he takes that part of his job seriously. But at the same time his job is easier, more fun, and more valuable to his employer when the team is doing well, and seeing them in such a terrible place frustrates him.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, else he'll say in the next few weeks. I'm pretty confident he won't push much farther just because it's risky for him with both the program and his employer, but I'll certainly be reading.

The whiner continues, either say it or shut up.

FSU? Does that game really belong, as mentioned, with the other three. Weren't we down by one or so in the second half after Ty was knocked out and our post defense disappeared?

Just saying that if he's going to say '2nd half of Miami' then FSU doesn't fit with State, dook and Clemson in the list.

Personally, I think a lot of the skeptics are going to be shocked to see what happens next year when we get some talent and depth. With Chase not in the starting line-up we had 2 scorers on the floor. A team with only two scorers is very easy to defend. We move Chase into the staring line-up and we have 3, but no scoring coming off the bench. CJ, Travis and Chase can't play 40 minutes and even when all three are playing we are at best a 5-6 win ACC team currently. It is talent/depth issue.

If you watch 12 seconds of the clip of CMM on Blogger So Dear, you see him dribble up and drain several 3's. We don't have that ability now with TC at the point. Having a point guard that is 6'3" that has to be guarded on the perimiter will make a big difference, so will having one or two more scorers.

The whiner continues, either say it or shut up.

FSU? Does that game really belong, as mentioned, with the other three. Weren't we down by one or so in the second half after Ty was knocked out and our post defense disappeared?

Just saying that if he's going to say '2nd half of Miami' then FSU doesn't fit with State, dook and Clemson in the list.

That doesn't change a thing about Dan's overall point.

I'm with Dan. Wake needs great PR and and an interesting and articulate coach to draw attention to us. We got that with Prosser and with Dino to a lessor extent. I so want a good coach with charisma.

Last edited:
Personally, I think a lot of the skeptics are going to be shocked to see what happens next year when we get some talent and depth. With Chase not in the starting line-up we had 2 scorers on the floor. A team with only two scorers is very easy to defend. We move Chase into the staring line-up and we have 3, but no scoring coming off the bench. CJ, Travis and Chase can't play 40 minutes and even when all three are playing we are at best a 5-6 win ACC team currently. It is talent/depth issue.

If you watch 12 seconds of the clip of CMM on Blogger So Dear, you see him dribble up and drain several 3's. We don't have that ability now with TC at the point. Having a point guard that is 6'3" that has to be guarded on the perimiter will make a big difference, so will having one or two more scorers.

I realize we are in the minority, but I agree with you. Are we a group of 2?

We may get more wins next year by default b/c our overall talent level will be higher, but have you seen anything from Bz the last two years that indicates that he has the ability to develop that talent, form that talent into a team, or implement a system that will get the maximum results out of that talent?

I haven't, and that scares me more than anything else about Bz. I fully expect that will we underachieve and under perform as long as Bz is the coach here. The talent level may increase enough that we're an underachieving, under performing team with 18 wins instead of an underachieving, under performing team with 13 or 14 wins but we'll still be underachieiving, under performing, and frustrating...

I just believe bzzz is our sendek. He may never endear himself to our fanbase.

Watching bzzz when Chase went down with an injury right in front of him, told me all I needed to know. His non-verbal language says it all.

We may get more wins next year by default b/c our overall talent level will be higher, but have you seen anything from Bz the last two years that indicates that he has the ability to develop that talent, form that talent into a team, or implement a system that will get the maximum results out of that talent?

I haven't, and that scares me more than anything else about Bz. I fully expect that will we underachieve and under perform as long as Bz is the coach here. The talent level may increase enough that we're an underachieving, under performing team with 18 wins instead of an underachieving, under performing team with 13 or 14 wins but we'll still be underachieiving, under performing, and frustrating...

I've seen us get more easy baskets this year with less talent than in the recent past. Chase's dime to CJ cutting to the hoop comes to mind from yesterday. Still too many defensive lapses at times though.

You aren't the only 2. I agree as well. I am not necessarily saying Bz is the answer, but our talent level is incredibly low. What he has to work with this season would be a nightmare for any ACC coach.

I think Travis, CJ and even Chase are legit, ACC talents but other than those three, we are WEAK. I think TC is going to be a very solid, backup pg for us the next two years (probably an above average backup pg in the conference) but he is having to play far too many minutes right now. No offense to Carson, Ty and Nikita but when those three are starting or receiving your bulk of minutes at the 4 and 5 there is NO way you are going to be a good basketball team. We are one of the least athletic teams I have seen in the ACC in recent memory. We have zero offensive post presence. The reason we play a perimeter based offense is because getting the ball in the low post is incredibly difficult. Ty and Carson are too weak to establish good position. If they do receive the entry pass, they are awful playing with their back to the basket and teams have no reason to double down, thus negating the ability to kick out to open shooters. While Nikita is strong enough to get the ball in the post and actually has decent post moves, he is not a strong finisher around the basket and he is a turnover machine.

Imagine how much better we will be when we have athletic, physical players in the post that have the ability to finish. Imagine how much better we will be when we have CMM playing the 1 or 2 and is a scoring threat. Coaching deficiencies or not, we should be significantly better next season.

I just believe bzzz is our sendek. He may never endear himself to our fanbase.
Watching bzzz when Chase went down with an injury right in front of him, told me all I needed to know. His non-verbal language says it all.

I have posted before that there is literally nothing Bzz can do to win me over. I don't care how many games he wins (not that I'm really worried about that actually happening).

Is the this LBJ moment when he said about Viet Nam,"We've lost Walter Cronkinte. We've lost the war."

Back