• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN apologizes for 'offensive' headline on Jeremy Lin

why is offensive in quotes?

I don't think they probably actually meant 'chink' in the offensive sense, but who signs off on that?

I don't think they probably actually meant 'chink' in the offensive sense, but who signs off on that?

why else would you write that headline? i obviously think the guy thought it was going to be funny and not offensive, but he obviously was referring to Chinese individuals when he said 'chink', there is no point to that headline otherwise

Which is why it would be offensive, right?

HUH?

Lots of athletes have been compared to godzilla. In fact one of Japan's most beloved baseball stars is nicknamed Godzilla.

It's not at all the same.

why else would you write that headline? i obviously think the guy thought it was going to be funny and not offensive, but he obviously was referring to Chinese individuals when he said 'chink', there is no point to that headline otherwise

What? Chink in the armor is an expression...

Yeah, but of all the expressions to pick...

It was clearly a reference to his ethnicity. ESPN made the right call. That was straight up racist.

The article was postulating that Lin (Chink) was the weakness (chink) in the Knicks armor, meaning he was the reason they lost. The double entendre is raciost (wasist)

Ya when I originally heard this story, I thought it was stupid. After seeing and reading the article, it was the right choice

and how often is that expression used to describe a minor loss? without either team's mascot having anything to do with Knights or anything dealing with armor. there is no way he would have by chance picked that one expression to use as a headline for espn.com. those headlines ALWAYS have puns it them. like everytime they have a WF article is has something to do with "Wake Up..."

if you think this was an unfortunate coincidence you are being extremely naive

and how often is that expression used to describe a minor loss? without either team's mascot having anything to do with Knights or anything dealing with armor. there is no way he would have by chance picked that one expression to use as a headline for espn.com. those headlines ALWAYS have puns it them. like everytime they have a WF article is has something to do with "Wake Up..."

if you think this was an unfortunate coincidence you are being extremely naive

Especially when you are blaming Lin for the loss/problems

The article was postulating that Lin (Chink) was the weakness (chink) in the Knicks armor, meaning he was the reason they lost. The double entendre is raciost (wasist)

f.gif

HUH?

Lots of athletes have been compared to godzilla. In fact one of Japan's most beloved baseball stars is nicknamed Godzilla.

It's not at all the same.

I think Kitchen is referring to how persons of non-Japanese asian descent (China, Taiwan, etc...) would be offended by the connection to a Japanese pop-culture icon.

Anyone of Chinese descent likely has a substantial hatred of Japan.

I really thought Kitchin was joking. I doubt Jeremy Lin would be offended if someone called him Godzilla, and the offchance that he did become offended probably wouldn't be because Godzilla was a Japanese movie. Unless of course, Lin is as culturally sensitive as RJ.

Last edited:
As someone who writes headlines for a living, it blows my mind that someone could have been that stupid to write that. Absolutely deserved to be fired. In this business, you have to err on the side of caution with anything that could be perceived as even remotely racist, and to have something that was so blatantly and intentionally racist... unreal.

Back