• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's our current Kenpom ranking

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
And is there anyway to tell where they had us at this time last year? I'm curious to see how much we've improved. My guess is we're around 30 spots higher. If we see a similar jump next year would we be amongst the NIT caliber schools? Also, do they have our strength of schedule ranked for the last two years.

We're 206th right now. I don't know what we were this time last year, probably around where we finished at 251. So with a similar improvement we'd be up to around 160 which would not be anywhere close to NIT caliber.

SOS 2011: 69
SOS 2012: 73 (so far)

We're 206th right now. I don't know what we were this time last year, probably around where we finished at 251. So with a similar improvement we'd be up to around 160 which would not be anywhere close to NIT caliber.

SOS 2011: 69
SOS 2012: 73 (so far)

Much appreciated. I'm surprised our SOS is that high. It felt like this season was the weakest schedule I've ever seen.

Just by the virtue of playing in a power conference our schedule is inflated just like everyone else's in a power conference. Our non-con was 274

jN78h.png

0DVur.png

How is Georgia Tech at 151? Seems weird since they're 9-17.

Georgia Tech has played the 46th hardest schedule in the country and has played the 16th best set of defenses in the nation. They rank 340th in the country in luck, primarily based around the fact that when they win they win big (8 of their 9 wins are by double digits) and typically don't get blown out or if they do lose relatively big, it's against teams which should beat them by more (UNC, Duke, FSU, NCSU within 15 points).

They did get blown out by Alabama and Virginia, but those teams are 28th and 20th respectively in KenPom. They have two bad losses: Fordham and Wake, and other than that have basically beat the teams that they're ranked ahead of and lost to the teams that they're ranked behind. They also have a comparatively good defense at 106th in the country.

Also 151 might seem to be "good" since we're 207, but keep in mind that no ACC team prior to last season since 2003 had finished worse than 117 (Clemson in 2004) and only three teams since 2003 have finished worse than 100 prior to this year (2003 Clemson, 2009 Virginia, last season Wake Forest, who is the only team to ever be in the 200's until this year when presumably Wake and BC will make the list 5). 151 is about as "average" as you can get in college basketball and typically you would expect ACC teams to be well above "average" considering this "average" is factoring in teams like Grambling, Towson, and NJIT, not just power conferences.

Also a fun fact is the past two years in Wake basketball have been two of the worst three years since 2003 period in the ACC. If BC continues to improve, we could presumably have the worst two teams in a decade for an entire conference in back to back seasons. That's food for thought. If you think we might lack talent, ask yourself if we lack so much talent and team cohesion that we should have been worse than EVERY OTHER TEAM in the conference since 2003.

Last edited:
^ Interesting stuff. Don't have time to look these things up, but where do this year's and last year's Wake teams stack up against all BCS conference teams in the KenPom era? I imagine Utah, Texas Tech, AZ St. and DePaul (and probably a few others) are down in our range this year, but what has been the worst rank for a BCS conference team each year?

Last year's Wake was the worst in the Kenpom era #251. Utah will be worse than that this year as they are over #300. Texas Tech, BC, USC, Wake and Arizona State are in the 200-240 range this year.

If you want a little more detail laid out without having to dig for it, I've written about it recently in the link below.

The [Redacted] Line

^ Interesting stuff. Don't have time to look these things up, but where do this year's and last year's Wake teams stack up against all BCS conference teams in the KenPom era? I imagine Utah, Texas Tech, AZ St. and DePaul (and probably a few others) are down in our range this year, but what has been the worst rank for a BCS conference team each year?

Since KenPom has started keeping track, I'll do the worst three teams by year in a power conference:

2003:
Nebraska (144)
Washington State (193)
Penn State (202)

2004:
Texas A&M (167)
Baylor (176)
Penn State (210)

2005:
Penn State (180)
Georgia (185)
Baylor (190)

2006:
Purdue (159)
Missouri (160)
South Florida (162)

2007:
Oregon State (151)
Rutgers (166)
Colorado (168)

2008:
Northwestern (158)
Rutgers (164)
Oregon State (210)

2009:
Depaul (198)
Georgia (200)
Indiana (212)

2010:
Iowa (173)
LSU (182)
Indiana (183)

2011:
Auburn (214)
LSU (227)
Wake Forest (251)

2012:
Texas Tech (241)
Arizona State (245)
Utah (306)

Definitely puts the Indiana/Crean analogy into context. They were there back to back.

Back