• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This thread is about context

jaybone

Reaction score
A quick glance at the ACC basketball coaches hired in Bzd's class and last year, and I see four programs trying to find their footing and one hire kicking ass.

Clemson - Bucknell. Underachieving this year and I don't see any frosh or sophomores contributing big minutes. He loses important seniors next year, but suffice it to say that a coach many here pined for is doing okay but not setting the world on fire

Maryland - some good recruiting that hasn't really made any mark yet but will, led my a senior. Turgeon gets good marks

BC - Is getting exactly what we thought they'd get - a very very good coach who has a minimal talent for recruiting talent

Georgia Tech - Gregory. Another coach many here wanted. I think Tech is a larger mess than we are in with average to bad recruiting in a basketball hotbed with team dissension in the 2nd year Some of it could be they aren't even playing in their gym this year but still. Not good

Us. Not setting the world on fire. Mediocre to poor recruiting first year, 2nd year looks like it is going to be great.

State - Obviously the best hire of this bunch as judged today and probably next year. Exciting team to watch, talent coming in, looks like good aggressive play and coaching, excited fan base. What more can you ask for? Unless they get caught making bigass recruiting mistakes, State did the best job. Funny, their AD was the one getting the most ridicule throughout the process and now is never mentioned (as far as I know) as being a good AD

Miami - like Larranaga. Seems like a funny fit at Miami, but I like him. a lot. I'd get the chunk in my nose fixed if I were him, though. It's called a bone graft, dude.

I think the landscape of college athletics has changed and is in the middle of change that makes it slightly more difficult today for a new coach to immediately make their mark unless the cards are just right and the coach is exceptionally good.

I'm sure this will be read as some sort of Bzd excuse as the Buzz-Outers consistently play anybody with a wait-and-see approach as being Buzz-totally in, but I'm really only trying to point out that either rebuilding/taking over a program is more difficult than it used to be or 4 or the 5 ACC schools made bad hires in the last two years.

I think some of it is there is enough money in the middle tier conferences now to keep those coaches until they get an AWESOME opportunity. The Stevens, Smart type hot coaches would be in a power conference had they had their success 10 years ago because the money was just too great from what they were making. Now, they can sort of have their pie and eat it to. A fanbase that worships them (i.e., little direct pressure), games against inferior opponents to build victories, while making money a Wall Street banker wouldn't turn down.

Last edited:
I think the landscape of college athletics has changed and is in the middle of change that makes it slightly more difficult today for a new coach to immediately make their mark unless the cards are just right and the coach is exceptionally good.

Yeah, good thing we didn't hire a guy who has had decades to make his mark already...

Bucknell is doing pretty good this year. Currently sitting at first in the conference. Gotta imagine they've got a pretty good chance at making the dance.

Good post IMO... Without a doubt State hired the right guy as of today... coaching is about the least job security of any profession I can think of because most fan bases are usually very short sighted... Some people wanted to fire Grobe after a bad year, which is very short sighted. I think we will really know what we have next year after watching a good recruiting class function under Bzz and staff... I'm a wait and see for one more year, even though it is really hard to watch games this year...

Us. Not setting the world on fire. Mediocre to poor recruiting first year, 2nd year looks like it is going to be great.

That's your takeaway for Wake? That's about the most positive thing I've seen anyone post about the last two years.

I could buy all of this if we weren't getting blown out by mediocre to bad teams.

There is no grit in this team regardless of talent level and that is a direct reflection of the coach.

The repeated issue in trying to compare other situations to Wake's is that all five of those coaches were wildly more successful than [Redacted] at previous stops, even Gregory (I would also dispute that "many here wanted him").

We took a huge risk. We have yet to even see the slightest sliver of hope that it will pay off.

Good post IMO... Without a doubt State hired the right guy as of today... coaching is about the least job security of any profession I can think of because most fan bases are usually very short sighted... Some people wanted to fire Grobe after a bad year, which is very short sighted. I think we will really know what we have next year after watching a good recruiting class function under Bzz and staff... I'm a wait and see for one more year, even though it is really hard to watch games this year...

The only reason I'm bzzout is because he completely blames the players. He throws them under the bus. If he would say the entire basketball program is in a rebuilding stage and THAT is why we're losing games, I would be COMPLETELY okay with that.

I don't think Bzz will ever be a good coach, but if he wasn't such an asshat to the players I'd reserve judgement until the middle of next season.

Just my $0.02

Bz thinks that he's not throwing the players under the bus, and even says that he's not, all the while they have tire tracks on their backs! :mad:

How many more double-digit losses do we need to see to determine whether he can handle this job? Either we do what is necessary to improve or we don't. Plus, reverting to the "I teach them but they don't get it" line is piss-poor. Maybe that's true, and if so, perhaps he should teach something that they can learn.

That's your takeaway for Wake? That's about the most positive thing I've seen anyone post about the last two years.

Exactly what I thought. Not setting the world on fire is high praise indeed.

The only reason I'm bzzout is because he completely blames the players. He throws them under the bus. If he would say the entire basketball program is in a rebuilding stage and THAT is why we're losing games, I would be COMPLETELY okay with that.

I don't think Bzz will ever be a good coach, but if he wasn't such an asshat to the players I'd reserve judgement until the middle of next season.

Just my $0.02

Thank you for a rational statement from a Bzzout perspective. I do believe that Coach [Redacted] has an almost impossible task of winning this year. If things aren't going well during a game and he looks to his bench to see what options he has to make a lineup change, he doesn't have a lot to choose from. I agree with you that the over the top personal attacks could be greatly diminished if he were to simply take the blame for poor performances instead of trying to defend what he's trying to do. If he were to do that, people might look at our roster a little more realistically.
I completely agree that the middle of next season is a make or break point for Coach [Redacted]'s career at Wake.

Instead of looking at the bench he needs to look at himself. He recruited that bench.

The thing that gets me is the fact that we have not even been competitive with a decent team in two years that I remember. The only thing even close in my mind was a solid performance at State. We can only stay in the game against other pitiful teams. It's sad.

This season we have two legitimate ACC starters and four players who would get some minutes on other ACC teams. Of coruse we're going to get blown out by good teams.

There is a gross talent disconnect.

The thing that gets me is the fact that we have not even been competitive with a decent team in two years that I remember. The only thing even close in my mind was a solid performance at State. We can only stay in the game against other pitiful teams. It's sad.

Agree. "Context" in this case is looking at the large number of blowouts we have lost. Awful.

Bucknell is doing pretty good this year. Currently sitting at first in the conference. Gotta imagine they've got a pretty good chance at making the dance.

They need to beat American on Thursday to effectively lock up the 1 seed (which provides HCA throughout the conference tournament). Right now Lehigh is playing the best of anyone in the Patriot.

This season we have two legitimate ACC starters and four players who would get some minutes on other ACC teams. Of coruse we're going to get blown out by good teams.

There is a gross talent disconnect.

How many good teams have we played? Duke, FSU, UNC, and UVa? How many bad to mediocre teams have beat our ass? ASU, NCSU, Clemson, Wofford, Richmond, Dayton?

Back