• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Ron Wellman Statistical Approach

vtwhat etc

Historically Competitive
Reaction score
"All in all, you look at every conceivable statistic that you can when making an evaluation like this", Wellman stated on the firing of Dino Gaudio.
April 7th 2010

“Sometimes it just comes down to a gut feeling”, Wellman said on the hiring of Jeff [Redacted]. “There were so many good candidates out there, it is difficult to separate them just upon fact.”

One buzzout thought one thread.

"All in all, you look at every conceivable statistic that you can when making an evaluation like this", Wellman stated on the firing of Dino Gaudio.
April 7th 2010

“Sometimes it just comes down to a gut feeling”, Wellman said on the hiring of Jeff [Redacted]. “There were so many good candidates out there, it is difficult to separate them just upon fact.”

I think almost all of us can agree, that the "gut feeling" Wellman had at that time was certainly something he ate

April 7th 2010

Still painful to read 2 years later.

The majority of Wake fans wanted Dino gone and felt he was not the man for the job. However, the majority also felt (and still feel) Buzz was not the correct replacement choice. In summation, the majority did not want either coaching our Deacons the past two basketball seasons. Not really difficult to understand.

I don't agree with the [Redacted] hiring and think he sucks as a coach, but I don't think these two comments are contradictory.

1. You use all statistical evidence available to analyze a coach.
2. Sometimes, even in light of statistical evidence, it's necessary to just go with a gut feeling when these stats don't provide a clear-cut favorite.

In fact, I think it goes beyond simply not being contradictory, I think that he probably drew on the first quote when he made the second one.

I think almost all of us can agree, that the "gut feeling" Wellman had at that time was certainly something he ate

Must have been the same gut feeling he had when he hired Jim Caldwell & Rick Rembielak

I don't agree with the [Redacted] hiring and think he sucks as a coach, but I don't think these two comments are contradictory.

1. You use all statistical evidence available to analyze a coach.
2. Sometimes, even in light of statistical evidence, it's necessary to just go with a gut feeling when these stats don't provide a clear-cut favorite.

In fact, I think it goes beyond simply not being contradictory, I think that he probably drew on the first quote when he made the second one.

I completely agree with this. The OP was written to highlight those points.

Taken the 'contradictory' way; I agree that this would be beating a dead horse... however, after reading those two quotes today, it was the first time I've been 100% certain that Ron Wellman didn't make the hire with some elusive statistical analysis/reasoning in mind.

The hire was clearly made by Wellman on a whim (something that I can't imagine a proper search committee would ever be sold upon).

The guts were necessary to counter the statistics that overwhelmingly pointed against [Redacted].

Whatever Wellman ate the night before he decided to hire [Redacted], don't let him ever eat that again....

And to think, the Bzzperiment could have been prevented with a bottle of Tums.

I completely agree with this. The OP was written to highlight those points.

Taken the 'contradictory' way; I agree that this would be beating a dead horse... however, after reading those two quotes today, it was the first time I've been 100% certain that Ron Wellman didn't make the hire with some elusive statistical analysis/reasoning in mind.

The hire was clearly made by Wellman on a whim (something that I can't imagine a proper search committee would ever be sold upon).

Do you think any hire is made on 100% statistics? People have emotions and that's always going to play a part in any hiring. To think otherwise is just being silly.

Last edited:
VTwhat can probably find the quote by Mr Wellman where he said something during the search that several successful college coaches had expressed interest in the job. I know we will never know for sure but I wonder if that is truthful or just "AD speak"?

I wish we had a link to the old scout thread about what obviously stupid names we heard associated with the hiring search, because I posted [Redacted] on there and then had to cry when it happened.

Back