• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike and Mike this morning (nwt)

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
This morning on Mike and Mike they were asking what are the best players from the big 3 sports (NFL, MLB, NBA) NOT to win a title? They acted like baseball was the hardest to come up with a consenus, but I thought it was the easiest. As soon as they asked the question, I said Ted Williams and I'm not even old even to remember Ted Williams playing. What would be the names you guys would throw out for the "big 3" sports?

I would go:

NFL: Dan Marino
NBA: Barkley or Karl Malone
MLB: Ted Williams

Of course not but you already named the three easy ones in your OP.

Marino and Malone. Malone was so good for so long and put up amazing numbers. I am pretty sure that his numbers were consistently better than Barkley's. The pick and roll with Stockton was impossible to defend. Had Michael Jordan not existed, those two would have 2-3 rings.

Last edited:
Over Ted Williams????

Well Gwynn should be the last player to hit. 400, because he was going to do it in 94 if the jackasses didn't strike.

Gwynn isn't quite Ted Williams, but he is vastly underrated imo. If you were putting together an all time team to take on some other all time team for all the marbles, Gwynn would be a great choice for the #2 spot.

Ernie Banks would also be a possibility.

Well Gwynn should be the last player to hit. 400, because he was going to do it in 94 if the jackasses didn't strike.

Gwynn isn't quite Ted Williams, but he is vastly underrated imo. If you were putting together an all time team to take on some other all time team for all the marbles, Gwynn would be a great choice for the #2 spot.

I completely agree about Gwynn being underrated, he was a great ball player!

No guarantee of that. He was hitting .394 when the strike occurred. Chipper Jones batted around .416 for most of 2008 but finished at .364. That being said, Gwynn probably had the most consistent shot at that record throughout his career.

MLB - Ty Cobb
NFL - Barry Sanders (I actually agree it's Marino but just to be different.)
NBA - John Stockton

Last edited:
Think this is a bit unfair with NFL players (and to a lesser extent MLB) due to difficulty of dominating a game by yourself.

For the NBA (excluding Lebron who is still playing), I would go with Elgin Baylor. Lost at least seven Finals, and he retired during the season the same year the Lakers ended up winning 33 straight and the NBA title.

MLB: Bonds or Griffey
NFL: Marino or Sanders
NBA: Baylor, Malone or Stockton
Best golfer to never win a major: Monty

Has Monty ever even won a tournament in the US? f he hasn't he's hardly on that list.

NFL- Eli Manning

Poor guy, every time he gets to the big game, the NFL just cancels the game on him. I don't really understand why the NFL would do that to their fans or sponsors or players. Seems pretty shitty. And they keep moving on with the numbering and everything. How can you have a Super Bowl 43 or 47 without 42 or 46? These are the sorts of questions those cowards at the No Fun League don't want you to ask.

Back