• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I'd like to see Lichaj get some time out there, but he's not ready to be a starter. Playing against Guadelope would be a nice move IMO to see what he's got.

I also want to give Edu a long time look at CB. In the overrall talent pool we have ten times the amount of quality CM than quality CBs.

In fact I think Goodson and Edu could form a quality CB pairing over time.

I mean, I guess it's all relative. I just really don't like Onyewu and Demerit and I wouldn't look at Ream and Goodson and get excited about their prospects.

IIRC, Mo Edu played at CB for us in South Africa one time, didn't he? That experiment failed. Has he played there at Rangers (I think he may have seen spot duty there)?

I mean, I guess it's all relative. I just really don't like Onyewu and Demerit and I wouldn't look at Ream and Goodson and get excited about their prospects.

Like him or not, Demerit is a baller and has a really interesting career path.

IIRC, Mo Edu played at CB for us in South Africa one time, didn't he? That experiment failed. Has he played there at Rangers (I think he may have seen spot duty there)?

He did when Rangers played at OT last season. Of course that was when they played a 6-4-0 formation, soooo...

I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with what we've seen from Goodson so far. Ream is a tougher call but I would like to think that for him it's a matter of experience. He's only been a pro for a little over a year. Will be interesting to see how much or whether he can develop.

I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with what we've seen from Goodson so far. Ream is a tougher call but I would like to think that for him it's a matter of experience. He's only been a pro for a little over a year. Will be interesting to see how much or whether he can develop.
Agreed. It's hard to make immutable determinations about a CB at 23 years old and 40 pro games.

Like how starting Dempsey at forward at the beginning of the game instead of only putting him in that position in the second half of every game once we're down failed because we tried it one single time in a warmup before the WC. Then we got to see Robbie "he's got speed" Findley every game he wasn't suspended.

Which is to say, don't think one game proves it can't be done

Good god. None of them.

This all over. What a shameful group of defenders we have right now. In an ideal world, a player as blunder-prone as Onyewu would never make the squad, let alone start.

Love Demerit, love his story, but he didn't excel at the World Cup and he's only getting older.

Like how starting Dempsey at forward at the beginning of the game instead of only putting him in that position in the second half of every game once we're down failed because we tried it one single time in a warmup before the WC. Then we got to see Robbie "he's got speed" Findley every game he wasn't suspended.

Which is to say, don't think one game proves it can't be done

Sorry, I guess what I meant here is that Bradley's experiment failed...as in he decided never to do it again based on one game.

Back