• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Frank Panizo- Asked Donovan what the feeling was after 1st Gold Cup loss, his response: "(A loss) was bound to happen at some point. CONCACAF teams are getting better and better. We've got to learn something from it."

My how my feeling upwards Donovan have changed in just less than a year

Yep Landycakes is officially back.

I am SOOOOOOOO pissed about the game tonight. First off, that ref was horrible. I tried to keep an unbiased view but after we got the diving call intheir penalty box I was livid.

I think we playued pretty legit defense throughout the game but our offense really was atrocious. Even the chances we got we didn't finish. I don't know how it looked on tv but we should have gotten that cross, and possibly the other pass back.

The crowd was pretty decent, not as many South Amwerican fans as I would have expected. Seriously though, was the reffing as bad as I think it was? We were all going crazy in the stands, yelling at the ref. The second half seemed more fair but the first half was just HORRIBLE!

I am SOOOOOOOO pissed about the game tonight. First off, that ref was horrible. I tried to keep an unbiased view but after we got the diving call intheir penalty box I was livid.

I think we playued pretty legit defense throughout the game but our offense really was atrocious. Even the chances we got we didn't finish. I don't know how it looked on tv but we should have gotten that cross, and possibly the other pass back.

The crowd was pretty decent, not as many South Amwerican fans as I would have expected. Seriously though, was the reffing as bad as I think it was? We were all going crazy in the stands, yelling at the ref. The second half seemed more fair but the first half was just HORRIBLE!

The diving call looked correct on replay.

We probably got the slightly shorter end of the stick on the calls, but he was letting them play pretty open. I wasn't decidedly angry at the ref....mainly because I was so upset with the team representing my country.

uh we can blame no one besides ourselves...as much as I hate that Mexitwunt he called a good and fair match

I don't think the match was reffed "efficiently" or "well," but that is not to say that I think we got stiffed because of the ref. I just think the guy was inconsistent in his calls and tossed around a few too many random cards for my liking (like that one on Jozy or the one on Jones).

But, however amateur the ref seemed, he had, in my opinion, zero effect on the outcome of the match. That's totally on us.

I love Wynalda because he doesn't pull any punches. I might not always agree with him, but he doesn't go out there just to kiss people's asses. I respect that.

It just occurred to me. dv7 actually is Wynalda.

DAMNIT YOU FORGOT ABOUT OPARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I saw a 2014 WC Squad Preview after the WC last year, and Opara was listed as a wildcard starter....

But can he really make it that far?

If he does, can/will he be any kind of improvement on the backline or will it just be keeping up the status quo

We need to stop sending in floating crosses 18-25 feet from the touchline. We don't have big aggressive strikers. Beat your man to the touchline and play stronger crosses across.

We completely neglected to use the attacking corners of the field. Everything went from wide midfield into the center of the pitch just outside the box. Panama would put 6 players on the edge of the box 10-15 feet wide. We're not gonna get any through balls or open shots with that defending.

I thought the penalty on Ream was bullshit. He was about the play the ball when the Panama player put a forearm into his chest throwing him off balance which resulted in the foul.

Ream sucks. He doesn't play nice balls from the back unless he's completely unchallenged. Every one of our defenders does the same. He's shit marking and he's not much better in the air. There's a reason defenders generally don't start until they're older. No sense of positioning or anticipation...both things Ream lacks.

Dolo played some ugly crosses. That's not common for him at Hanover.

Donovan was invisible at best. Terrible at worst. No emotion, no urgency, no passion.

No idea whose to blame for the 1st goal. Jozy was marking Tejada on the original ball, but broke out after the failed clearance. Goodson should have done better after the Howard save, but it should have never gotten to that point either. Poor all around.

I don't understand how people can want Dempsey and Agudelo up front. Jozy scored and assisted last match. Jozy had the beautiful run and cross which Wondo blew tonight. Agudelo has done little. I like Dempsey up front, as I think he is by far our best target on crosses, but I think he's got to be paired with Jozy if that's the case.

Personally I want Jozy up top with Dempsey, Adu, Donovan as AM. Bradley and Edu in CM spots. Lichaj, Gooch, Goodson, Dolo in the back against Guadeloupe.

Sascha once again should never see the pitch. Bedoya did well as a sub. Wondo just doesn't offer much. He might fit in with a team that play a slower possession type offense, but not with this team.

Big Bradley needs to go after this tournament. Even if we win our next 4 matches. I'm so fucking tired of awful first half tactics and terrible squad selections.

I know I saw a 2014 WC Squad Preview after the WC last year, and Opara was listed as a wildcard starter....

But can he really make it that far?

If he does, can/will he be any kind of improvement on the backline or will it just be keeping up the status quo

Personally I don't see it. He's athletic which makes people cream themselves. But he's not a very good defender. Maybe he'll pick up the mental aspects as he gets more experience, but I don't think he'll ever see the National Team in meaningful matches.

Michael Bradley didn't score a goal for the Metrostars until Bob was fired. Imagine what he'd do for the USMNT if we canned his dad.

Nova are you still good for the DC ticket a week from today if we beat Guadelope on Tuesday. It's a shame that I had to add that last part.

I said I'd take it, so I'm still in regardless of the outcome. Here's hoping...

The only reason I added that is because if we lose there is no DC trip. And the ticket your buying isn't mine anyways so I'm not holding you to it until were for sure playing in DC.

Back