• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Spain U21s about to play again. SEXY

Spain U-21 XI vs. Czech Rep: De Gea; Montoya, Botía, Domínguez, Dídac; Javi Martínez, Thiago, Ander; Mata, Muniain, Adrián

Liverpool sold Dominguez (pretty cheap I recall) because he was too 'slow.' oops

I may be the only person who thought we looked far better tonight? Yes, I know it was Guadaloupe, but they only lost by 1 to Canada and Panama. We absolutely dominated the match. We did give up two bad opportunities, but that's not nearly as bad against a team waiting to counter attack as we have been. Yes, it wasn't good enough to beat a good side, but we almost never play well against shitty opponents. Dempsey had his worst game finishing I've ever seen. He missed 4 absolute sitters and just missed on 2 great shots. If he makes half of those, we're talking about a good result. If he plays like himself on a normal night, we're talking about how fucking awesome we are, a la Mexico.

Donovan was far better tonight. Bradley/Jones played pretty poorly I thought. Way too many errant easy passes. Jozy was solid. His shooting has always been great, but his confidence has been weak at best. Hopefully this gets him going. Wondo can sit for the rest of the tournament. Bedoya was energetic as a sub. A couple great runs that he barely missed on. Sascha actually played well tonight. I still would rather not see him. Spector should always be on before him if we're talking CM. The defense was solid apart from Goodson getting beat on a couple over the top balls. I still think he's a big part of the future back line. Disappointed Bradley didn't go with subs earlier. But that's what happens when you need a result to advance. Bring on Jamaica. Are we definitely the early match?

We definitely played better. If Deuce and Wondo finish a third of their chances the scoreline looks something like 4-0 and there isn't (as) much complaining. As much as we hate on Bobbo, he can't do anything about it if one of his two best players is missing everything to the point that it looks like point shaving.

Liverpool sold Dominguez (pretty cheap I recall) because he was too 'slow.' oops

Oh yeah, Mikel San Jose. 3 million euros, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if it could rise to more or if there is a sell-on fee, but I never understood keeping Ayala over him -- it's not like Ayala is a burner. Ayala might be better in the air (and supposedly is a good "leader"), but San Jose is better at everything else, I think.

Maybe he will be Liverpool's Pique.

yeah I screwed up. big fail on my part.

Well, Mikel San Jose's other name is Dominguez and he is in the squad, so it's not too bad. I've also seen him listed as Dominguez other times, but I think he has San Jose on his shirt.

Last edited:
So someone tell me something about Jamaica. Other than they will more than likely run us off the pitch.

adrian again? Good lord

LaLigaLoca La Liga Loca
@
@sportsanalyst87 I think playing a Depor striker is a tactic to lull England into a false sense of security. A curious decision.

Do people really think the US played well last night? Sure we created chances, but it was fucking Guadelupe. Our ball movement was slow, our off the ball movement was non-existent and we still gave up counter attacking chances a plenty. Luckily, Guadelupe is so fucking atrocious that it didn't matter.

yeah we beat a terrible team that's not even a real country 1-0. We were still really bad, especially in the second half. we basically just flipped what we normally do and played really hard the first 20 minutes and coasted the rest of the way instead of the normal coast the first 70 then play hard the last 20

What a goal by Spain. Fucking tore the Czechs apart!

Mata slid in a perfect ball for Adrian for the goal on the final pass of a great team move.

OptaJack OptaJack
5 - Javier Hernández has already scored 5 goals in Gold Cup 2011, equaling the most be a single player in the tournament since 1996. Hotshot

Thiago hit quite possibly the worst set piece ball I've ever seen. Landon Donovan just went, "that was shit!" It was that bad.

I feel bad for these Czech players. I thought England got worked by Spain. The Czech players trying to catch the ball is as futile as a dog chasing its own tail. Try, try, try! Fail, fail, fail!

ussoccer U.S. SOCCER
Altidore scores 1 goal for every 218 min he's on the field, 3rd among #USMNT players w/ 10+ career goals. (Klopas 1/182; Johnson 1/199)

Respect for JOZY!

:laugh:

iainmacintosh Iain Macintosh
I don't know how Spain do it. It's like they've got thousands of qualified coaches teaching kids to control a football from an early age.

Back