• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

:eek: What a strike by Sturridge! I think he almost split the cross bar in two there

You what is the most frustrating thing about the US team right now?

We're a huge country with a ton of money poured into the sport and a ton of children playing it. How on earth have we not gotten lucky and popped out at least one true superstar, ever? I mean countries like Cote d'Ivoire (Drogba), Liberia (Weah), Cameroon (Eto'o), Ghana (Essien) and the like have managed to hit the lottery at least once with a great talent and they are far smaller and far poorer and with far less coaching and support. And that's not covering small countries that manage to get solid talents out every once in a while - Alexander Frei would be the best player in US history, and he's from a country that only cares about soccer when you can't possibly ski anymore. Same with Edin Dzeko, because we know Bosnia was a great place to develop. Wilson Palacios would be the best CM in US history by a country mile, and he didn't leave Honduras until he was 24. Honfreakingduras.

In the entire history of United States soccer we've produced exactly two players good enough to start for a major club team (Tim Howard and Giuseppi Rossi) and one of them decided to play for another nation. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Great post.

I was just reading about Guadeloupe on wikipedia...even they have produced more than the United States. It's just mind-boggling and frustrating.

ideal_hoof_1.jpg

this is fucking shit to watch.

i dont understand how the English can watch this and just not feel thoroughly disgusted.

Oh, dear God...
OptaJoe Opta Sports
45% - Of the 29 long passes attempted by England in the first half against Ukraine, only 13 (45%) found a teammate. Hoof.

Sturridge puts in Welbeck with a good ball, but Danny misses.

England starting to work the ball better and create chances. IMAGINE THAT

Scott Sinclair on, the hapless Danny Rose off
Henri Lansbury on, the ineffective Jack Rodwell off

Rose is shit as a LM, he really is. 'Arry has insisted that his only future in the PL is at LB, where he's actually shown to be pretty darn solid - but playing him at LM is just a bad move.

Lansbury and a Ukrainian player are down after a nasty collision. Ouch. I think Lansbury might have just dislocated his shoulder.

Edit:
Nope. Just hurt it. He is moving it around trying to get the feeling back in it. Back on the pitch now.

how much of England's suckitude can be blamed on
a) coaches not setting them up properly, or
b) players not learning technical/tactical skills and only being able to play in an ugly-hightempo style where possession isn't valued

to be more direct - is it possible for England to play based on possession and short passes (see Spain)?

More "B" but a lot of that has to do with "A" when the kids are younger. Their touch can be so poor.

England's 3 best players in this tournament are clearly Jones, Smalling and Walker. It's really not even close.

Completely agreed. Those three have been class. The rest average at best.

Sturridge would be up there if he wasn't so damn selfish.

would it kill them to get Cleverley on?

how much of England's suckitude can be blamed on
a) coaches not setting them up properly, or
b) players not learning technical/tactical skills and only being able to play in an ugly-hightempo style where possession isn't valued

to be more direct - is it possible for England to play based on possession and short passes (see Spain)?

both really.

i dont think its possible for England to play with any sort of sophisticated style at least not for a few decades. Hoofball is too ingrained in their culture and they havent been humbled enough to realize their style is shit and outdated.

"England we're robbed!" is the familiar chorus when shit goes sour.

Back