• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I noticed earlier in this thread some jokes about soccer by ives. What is wrong with that site?

Ives is a FUCKING MORON. Knows fuck all. Nearly all his opinions on the game are dead wrong. He is somehow really connected to people in the game tho. But any opinion piece by him is terrible.

I think it is really good as a "news" site, but sometimes the opinion side is a bit weird. There isn't that much better around, so I definitely am a regular reader.

Ives is a FUCKING MORON. Knows fuck all. Nearly all his opinions on the game are dead wrong. He is somehow really connected to people in the game tho. But any opinion piece by him is terrible.

Ahh, ok. That makes sense then.

Please keep the 4-2-3-1

Agudelo looked a lot better in the lone striker role that I would have thought him capable of there.

I think the bigger story for the next game is do you keep Donovan on the bench and bring him on at the 60. No doubt he's one of our more influential players but he's pretty much been anonymous at this gold cup. Bedoya's has picked up his play and done well in the minutes he has received. What's your call?

Personally, I'm in favor of bringing Donovan off the bench. Bedoya has played too well.
Another option is you could drop Kljestan and move Dempsey to the middle of the park in front of Jones and Bradley. Just thoughts.

I wonder if you start Edu over Jones in the semi since Jones is on a yellow. See how mo does and then make the call for the final. (or do yellows even accumulate at this point?)

are we still supposed to hate Sasha? dude has played pretty well thus far...

Sacha has played well. I still sit him, move Deuce right behind Agudelo and have Bedoya and Donovan on the wings. Best chance for success with those players. I thought Donovan (that stupid backpass excluded) played well today. His ball into Agudelo for Dempsey's goal was superb.

I thought we were stagnant?

They haven't done the business at the top level yet. It is promising, but in the end it means fuck all if they don't perform for the full national team.

Just like my love for the players in United's U18/Reserves. It's all well and good, but until they show it at the top level...it is just "potential."

Great game today. As expected, playing the 5 man midfield allows us so much more time on the ball and passing options. I've hated Sascha on the outside, but I think he fits the role of an ACM pretty well. He needs to get more aggressive/selfish sometimes.

I don't see how you'd change the lineup on Wednesday. Donovan is not right. I don't know if he's still sick or just tired, but he hasn't been hustling like normal. Bedoya is full of energy, keep him out there.

Our defense was solid again. Boca made one terrible clearance toward the end of the match and Goodson had some lapses, but overall I've been pleased with that pairing. Looking at the replay of the Jones' red card again, I think the official got it right. There was contact which threw of his balance as he tried to continue. He obviously embellished it, but the call remains the same. The Jamaican player didn't even think of complaining which is most telling.

Still need to play a better final pass in the area and finish better, but it's coming along.

Thumbs up to Big Bradley tonight. Can't fault any of his decisions. Hopefully he keeps things the same against Panama. I'd like to see Edu, but Bradley and Jones are playing too well to change it up now.

Guido (1st goal scorer) is such a promising player. Kid has an unreal touch, great feel for the game, and terrific vision. I was so very impressed with him from an unbiased "scouting" perspective.

Back