• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

How do you really evaluate someone if they don't get to play with the true first team? Who decides where the line is for "top top players"? Why bother having cup competitions, do they really take the game forward or are they just ways for the clubs to make more money too? Aren't those games just more chances for players to get burnt out?

It's a sense of pride for most players to represent their nation. Of course club managers aren't going to want them to do so, they're trying to do what's best for their employer. But you can damn well bet that if Wenger, Ferguson, or any of the others were in charge of a national team they'd be crying to high heavens any time there was any resistance by the clubs or mysterious, well timed "injuries". They're all hypocrites in that regard.

No, the MANAGER of Argentina cared. In reality, it was just another match on Messi's legs, and a meaningless game in which he could have been hurt. A real competition, like the Champions League, would have suffered if he got injured and was ruled out for the rest of the season.

International football is so annoying. It was important like 15-20 years ago. Club football is what drives the sport these days.

The Champions League is the biggest, most negative change in the game. That's done more to put extra matches on players legs than any international friendly. There's nothing but greedy clubs and a greedy organization behind it.

Exactly, gsterp. Without friendlies, there's no way to know how a younger player will perform. Of course they matter.

The Champions League is the biggest, most negative change in the game. That's done more to put extra matches on players legs than any international friendly. There's nothing but greedy clubs and a greedy organization behind it.

As well as the dozens of meaningless "Philips Milk of Magnesia Cup," etc... matches played throughout the year. Saying that friendlies have a major effect on tired legs is silly.

As well as the dozens of meaningless "Philips Milk of Magnesia Cup," etc... matches played throughout the year. Saying that friendlies have a major effect on tired legs is silly.

QFT - It's like all the people who claim VCU or UConn must be soooo tired from having played a play-in game or 6 games in the Big East Tournament. These guys are top athletes. They can handle a few friendlies a year.

Miracle on Ice- pointless
Ryder Cup- pointless
Dream Team- pointless
Olympics- pointless

But seriously. I care 100000x times more about watching players represent my country than some town in another country that I have no connection with whatsoever.

How come only the top managers complain? The MLS teams lost their best players an keep on playing. They have to play matches during the break. So why do the EPL managers bitch? I guess I understand the injury part. Money cant buy healing like it can everythig else.

The Champions League has brought in a shit ton more money to the game that meaningless friendlies. It deserves the players' attention.

Note how the top players play in the CL if they are healthy, and they don't play in friendlies.

I get this silly, "yayyyyy, my country is playing!" thing. But really, does anybody even remember a friendly from 2008? I couldn't even tell you who the US played in a friendly that year, and I don't care to even try. You know why? Because the match meant fuck all.

Take off your cheerleader costume, sd3. It is just a friendly. aka, an exhibition.

It is like getting worked us for a spring training game or a preseason NFL game. Yeah, it is fun to see them play, but really, at the end of the day nothing is really gained from it apart from experience in playing together. Whoop-di-do.

The Champions League has brought in a shit ton more money to the game that meaningless friendlies. It deserves the players' attention.

Note how the top players play in the CL if they are healthy, and they don't play in friendlies.

I get this silly, "yayyyyy, my country is playing!" thing. But really, does anybody even remember a friendly from 2008? I couldn't even tell you who the US played in a friendly that year, and I don't care to even try. You know why? Because the match meant fuck all.

Take off your cheerleader costume, sd3. It is just a friendly. aka, an exhibition.

It is like getting worked us for a spring training game or a preseason NFL game. Yeah, it is fun to see them play, but really, at the end of the day nothing is really gained from it apart from experience in playing together. Whoop-di-do.

You get excited for United reserve matches? How is that any different

Fact. Which leads to overall seeding in the next world cup. Which is a greater tournament than *

Champions League is more prestigious than the World Cup. Better players play in the CL. That isn't even debatable.

Also, FIFA changes what leads to seeds each WC cycle. Hard to say it leads to overall seeding and being considered serious.

So I take it we won't ever see you report on preseason, reserve, or even stupid no one gives a shit youth matches since ultimately they don't mean anything other than players getting experience playing together? That'll be a relief for pretty much anyone who's ever read one of these threads.

You get excited for United reserve matches? How is that any different

I don't think United Reserve matches matter. I just like seeing what is coming through at the club.

I acknowledge that the matches themselves mean nothing.

I have nothing against you, or anybody else loving watching the Nats play these silly friendlies, but that doesn't mean that the matches should be played, because they are not at all necessary.

FIFA talks about how players are overworked...yet they allow friendlies which in the grand scheme of things, achieve little; if anything at all.

Champions League is more prestigious than the World Cup. Better players play in the CL. That isn't even debatable.

Also, FIFA changes what leads to seeds each WC cycle. Hard to say it leads to overall seeding and being considered serious.

Bullshit. Maybe in England. On the worldwide stage? No. Compare the numbers of who watch the 2010 WC final vs any CL final and it won't even be close.

So I take it we won't ever see you report on preseason, reserve, or even stupid no one gives a shit youth matches since ultimately they don't mean anything other than players getting experience playing together? That'll be a relief for pretty much anyone who's ever read one of these threads.

See previous response.

Bullshit. Maybe in England. On the worldwide stage? No. Compare the numbers of who watch the 2010 WC final vs any CL final and it won't even be close.

A lot of players would rather win the CL than the WC. There are a few that wouldn't.

On the whole the CL is a lot harder to win than the WC. That is why it is more prestigious, IMO.

Back