• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

LOLZ

Let me know the next (and first) time that a country that doesn't put a lot of money into their football team wins the World Cup.

To accommodate the players? Yes. Other than that how can money buy a world cup? Countrys can't just go out and buy whoever the hell they want like club teams can.

Obviously his point was buying players, which is a much more direct investment then putting money into the national squad's training and support.

I really don't want to get in how stupid the argument is that buying players at great values makes a team great and able to win the CL.

I've done that so many times on the other boards.

You have a club, btw, ZDeac?

To accommodate the players? Yes. Other than that how can money buy a world cup? Countrys can't just go out and buy whoever the hell they want like club teams can.

How much money a country puts into football development surely helps, though, yes?

Anyways, I'm heading to bed. Long drive tomorrow morning and then it's go time. Idc if it's a friendly or not the USMNT is my club team and I treat every match as such. No need to argue about that because it's not how everyone sees it and I understand I'm in the minority. LETS GOOOOOO!!!!!

Anyways, I'm heading to bed. Long drive tomorrow morning and then it's go time. Idc if it's a friendly or not the USMNT is my club team and I treat every match as such. No need to argue about that because it's not how everyone sees it and I understand I'm in the minority. LETS GOOOOOO!!!!!

Yeah, no hate for your love here! Do what ya do. Have a great time, as I know you will!

That is why I would argue there is more prestige in winning the CL.

George Best is easily one of the top 10 players to ever play the game. He never had a chance to win the World Cup because where he was born (lowly Northern Ireland.) He did, however, have a chance to win the Champions League. And he did.

Prestige is defined as, "having status or glamour; impressive or influential."
Nowhere does "time" come into mention. Just because the WC comes along fewer times than the CL doesn't make it more prestigious.

You might think that the Champions League SHOULD be more prestigious, but it's not, and you're crazy if you think it is. There is nothing more glamourous or that give you more status than the World Cup. And it's by far the most impressive to the world (in general). And just to use your example, no one talks about George Best when they talk about the greatest players ever (save old Brits and, well, you). You better believe if he put on an impressive World Cup performance that'd be different.

You have a club, btw, ZDeac?

Not really, which is too bad. Not enough of a personal connection anywhere to really get behind anyone. Everton a little bit last year from having lived with ILDeac, but that hardly counts. Dynamo in the MLS. On top of all this, I'd say my interest in the sport only goes back to 2006 or so, so a relative noob without deep roots in anything.

All of this being said, if someone here wanted to present a compelling argument as to why I should join in supporting their team, I'd be all for it. It would certainly make following things more exciting/enjoyable.

You might think that the Champions League SHOULD be more prestigious, but it's not, and you're crazy if you think it is. There is nothing more glamourous or that give you more status than the World Cup. And it's by far the most impressive to the world (in general). And just to use your example, no one talks about George Best when they talk about the greatest players ever (save old Brits and, well, you). You better believe if he put on an impressive World Cup performance that'd be different.

George Best is routinely considered one of the best ever. What are you on about?

Just like Di Stefano. How many times did Di Stefano play in the World Cup?

Not really, which is too bad. Not enough of a personal connection anywhere to really get behind anyone. Everton a little bit last year from having lived with ILDeac, but that hardly counts. Dynamo in the MLS. On top of all this, I'd say my interest in the sport only goes back to 2006 or so, so a relative noob without deep roots in anything.

All of this being said, if someone here wanted to present a compelling argument as to why I should join in supporting their team, I'd be all for it. It would certainly make following things more exciting/enjoyable.

I don't ever recruit people to Man United, but I will say a look into the clubs history is worth a look, at least from a history perspective.

Watch enough PL and a club with stick out to you as one you want to watch.

Yea, I think I'd have trouble with something like Man U. I enjoy self loathing too much to randomly decide to support the best/most dominant team in just about any sport. If they end up being good, I need to feel like I suffered for it (but not too much). I actually probably could get behind Everton, if I really gave them a fair chance. I do have a thing against blue that I would have to get over, though.

Against blue, eh? Understandable.

Go for Sunderland, then. Good luck.

George Best is routinely considered one of the best ever. What are you on about?

Just like Di Stefano. How many times did Di Stefano play in the World Cup?

Near Pele and Maradona? Lolz, no.

I just went apeshit on a GT poster on packpride though, I'm done arguing for the night

Oooh, I like it. Middle of the pack. Red. Fairly rapid rise over last few years but still with hurdles to clear. I'll do some more research, but I think you may be on to something with that one. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I was doing some reading on BigSoccer and I have to admit that I like the idea of trotting out a 3-5-2/5-3-2 (w/WBs) against Paraguay. It would be very experimental, but it is over 3 years from the next WC and it matches our talent on the field. Also Paraguay apparently looked pretty bad against Mexico so its not like we're going to be chasing all game.

Here's my idea, assuming that we are playing are Best XI, although I'm sure we will rotate in others based on playing time against the Argies.

GK: Howard
CB: DeMerit, Gooch, Boca
CM: Edu, Bradley, Jones (Pick 2)
WB: Chandler, Bornstein
AM: Dempsey, Donovan (playing as wingers)
CF: Altidore/Buddle

This would allow for us to play to our advantage of having speed down the wings and having the WBs tracking back would allow Deuce and Donovan to be able to stay up front and give the CF attacking help.

Now using the 3-5-2/5-3-2 tonight I'd expect to see this lineup (based on playing time from Saturday)

GK: Hahnemann
CB: Ream, Gooch, Spector
WB: Chandler, Bornstein
CM: Jones, Bradley
AM: Feilhaber, Donovan
CF: Agudelo

Subs:
Altidore for Agudelo
Lichaj for Donovan - move Chandler up to AM
Diskeruud for Feilhaber
Spector for Boca or Gooch
Yelldell for Hahnemann

I mean I know this would never happen but I think this formation would work with our current personnel, especially with Holden out. So we might as well trot it out in 2011 for a trial run.

FWIW, here's freddys tweet this morning:

greetings all timezones. Everyone make today yours and make it count. Another day and another opportunity to get better

Oooh, I like it. Middle of the pack. Red. Fairly rapid rise over last few years but still with hurdles to clear. I'll do some more research, but I think you may be on to something with that one. I'll let you know how it turns out.

It is really expensive and difficult to get up to Newcastle, should you ever make it over to England. That is one thing to consider.

Back