• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

That is why I would argue there is more prestige in winning the CL.

George Best is easily one of the top 10 players to ever play the game. He never had a chance to win the World Cup because where he was born (lowly Northern Ireland.) He did, however, have a chance to win the Champions League. And he did.

I'm pretty sure he could have manned up and done the right thing and played for the Republic of Ireland.

San Marino just lost 6-0 in a Euro qualifier to Cyprus.

When Cyprus is beating you 6-0, you should just give up.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! WTF, Fabio?

Fabio-Capello-007.jpg

England off the bar! I think it was Ashley Young from point blank range. Just got too far under the ball. Really should have finished that cross from Downing.

That was an incredible save by Hart. Wow. Set piece to the far post and the shot was going back across the face of the goal destined for the side netting. Hart gets down so quickly to palm the ball wide. No idea how he reacted so fast, brilliant save.

That was an incredible save by Hart. Wow. Set piece to the far post and the shot was going back across the face of the goal destined for the side netting. Hart gets down so quickly to palm the ball wide. No idea how he reacted so fast, brilliant save.

this friendly had all the makings of a 90 minute nap, but it's actually been pretty entertaining.

Nobody has dissected my sweet 3-5-2/5-3-2 USMNT argument on the last page? I'll conclude that you are all silent because your in awe of how special of a tactician I am.

I think we would have to have a coach who actually possesses any tactical knowledge to pull that off. So no go

Nobody has dissected my sweet 3-5-2/5-3-2 USMNT argument on the last page? I'll conclude that you are all silent because your in awe of how special of a tactician I am.

You mean this one?

I was doing some reading on BigSoccer and I have to admit that I like the idea of trotting out a 3-5-2/5-3-2 (w/WBs) against Paraguay. It would be very experimental, but it is over 3 years from the next WC and it matches our talent on the field. Also Paraguay apparently looked pretty bad against Mexico so its not like we're going to be chasing all game.

Here's my idea, assuming that we are playing are Best XI, although I'm sure we will rotate in others based on playing time against the Argies.

GK: Howard
CB: DeMerit, Gooch, Boca
CM: Edu, Bradley, Jones (Pick 2)
WB: Chandler, Bornstein
AM: Dempsey, Donovan (playing as wingers)
CF: Altidore/Buddle

This would allow for us to play to our advantage of having speed down the wings and having the WBs tracking back would allow Deuce and Donovan to be able to stay up front and give the CF attacking help.

Now using the 3-5-2/5-3-2 tonight I'd expect to see this lineup (based on playing time from Saturday)

1) You didn't throw up a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 since you only named 1 striker. You threw out some weird 3-6-1 formation or maybe a 5-4-1 countering formation.
2) Your formation would get destroyed because the middle is so desperately exposed.
3) A true 3-5-2 would look like:

------ CB ---- CB ---- CB -------
RWB ----------------------- LWB
---------- CM ---- CM ----------
--------------ACM --------------
------- FWD ------- FWD -------

This requires your wing backs to run their asses off, however. You ACM also takes on a trequartista role, and not many players can pull that off properly.

Not to mention that I would be completely shocked if Bob ever ran with a flat 3 in the back.

3) A true 3-5-2 would look like:

------ CB ---- CB ---- CB -------
RWB ----------------------- LWB
---------- CM ---- CM ----------
--------------ACM --------------
------- FWD ------- FWD -------

That is the formation that the Aces run. Booyah.

The 3-5-2 is what a meant, not sure why I only put 1 striker up top and had two wingers. I quit forever. Either that or I'll stop waking up at 5:30 and trying to break down a 3-5-2.

However due to my blind pride I will now fight for my 3-6-1.

The 3-5-2 is what a meant, not sure why I only put 1 striker up top and had two wingers. I quite forever.

So, 2 strikers and 2 wingers and 2 CMs and 2 wingbacks and 3 center backs.

You want 11 field players? I like your chances to win.

The 3-5-2 is what a meant, not sure why I only put 1 striker up top and had two wingers. I quit forever. Either that or I'll stop waking up at 5:30 and trying to break down a 3-5-2.

However due to my blind pride I will now fight for my 3-6-1.

I didn't know Steve Sampson posted here!

Back