• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I think Bob gets a terrible rap for his tactics because they don't result in overly attractive play. He gets the gameplan right most times, including last game. We weren't ever going to outpossess Argentina. What we could do was funnel their players into traffic rather than let them ping the ball around the entire team. Now sometimes the tactics don't work, but you can say that about any coach in the world.

I see no reason to move away from the 4-4-2 at this point. I don't know how many times people need to see it work for this team to accept it. No, maybe it's not as sexy as a 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1, but it gets results for these guys.

I think Bob gets a terrible rap for his tactics because they don't result in overly attractive play. He gets the gameplan right most times, including last game. We weren't ever going to outpossess Argentina. What we could do was funnel their players into traffic rather than let them ping the ball around the entire team. Now sometimes the tactics don't work, but you can say that about any coach in the world.

I see no reason to move away from the 4-4-2 at this point. I don't know how many times people need to see it work for this team to accept it. No, maybe it's not as sexy as a 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1, but it gets results for these guys.

I say that because the only times he's tried other formations, like his 4-3-3 lineup against Costa Rica, it looks like he just put the names on the blackboard and told the players to figure it out

Doing the same tactics over and over doesn't mean he is good tactically. The man is bland when it comes to tactics.

He went 4-5-1 against Argentina, though. But had Agudelo pushing up to join JOZY! in the attack. Agudelo then retreated to LM when Argentina had the ball. I think he learned that one by talking to SAF this past summer.

Formation isn't the same thing as tactics.

One example that admittedly paints him in a good light is Spain in 2009. When we played them in 2008 and tried to play more of our "normal" style, we got worked pretty well. No shame there, most teams do away to Spain. What we did in the second game in South Africa was clog the middle and let them take whatever they wanted on the wing. Our centerbacks aren't great by any means, but one thing they do well is clean out crosses because they're both big physical guys. Spain is great at so many things, but aerially they aren't at their best. It was a tactic that fit our personnel well while hiding some weaknesses.

Again, I'm not saying he's the best tactician ever, just that he's not the abortion that he's painted as by so many people.

I don't think he is awful tactically, but he does the same stuff repeatedly. Tactics and formation. It is his comfort zone, so I get it.

And most managers know to give short teams the wings and clog the middle. It's a condemnation of them when they dont.

Enough talk of my tactical genius...

This Ghana-England friendly has gotten chippy. Milner may have deserved a red for that one. Yikes.

On second look that was an absolute red card. He just stuck his studs right into the back of Gyan's shin. There was zero attempt to play the ball.

Hey pasty English players stop trying to pick fights with the Africans. You will get your asses handed to you.

Formation isn't the same thing as tactics.

One example that admittedly paints him in a good light is Spain in 2009. When we played them in 2008 and tried to play more of our "normal" style, we got worked pretty well. No shame there, most teams do away to Spain. What we did in the second game in South Africa was clog the middle and let them take whatever they wanted on the wing. Our centerbacks aren't great by any means, but one thing they do well is clean out crosses because they're both big physical guys. Spain is great at so many things, but aerially they aren't at their best. It was a tactic that fit our personnel well while hiding some weaknesses.

Again, I'm not saying he's the best tactician ever, just that he's not the abortion that he's painted as by so many people.

I said that when in other formations, it looked like he told the players to just figure it out. i.e. gave them no tactical advice on what to actually do in the formation. Please give me a tactical analysis of what he was doing in that Costa Rica game. How about you stop sucking off your boy and actually read what I said?

Leighton Baines can deliver the fuck out of a ball.

Joleon Lescott sucks so much. 22 million for him? Let's all laugh at citeh! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

I said that when in other formations, it looked like he told the players to just figure it out. i.e. gave them no tactical advice on what to actually do in the formation. Please give me a tactical analysis of what he was doing in that Costa Rica game. How about you stop sucking off your boy and actually read what I said?

I don't know what the idea was behind the Costa Rica game, never said I did either. That's one other formation though. How about looking at the bigger picture than one outlier of a game two years ago and holding some strange irrational grudge? It looked like the players sure knew what they were supposed to do in a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 on Saturday, it just wasn't as effective.

Back