• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I heard some people on some show surmise that we are going backwards as a national team. Thoughts?

fifa.JPG

Real talk: we've still haven't topped the 2002 World Cup team. Quarterfinals, terrible handball call away from possible Semis. Our defense was average, our midfield with Claudio Reyna above average (despite dv7 hating him), our attack with Beasley, Donovan, and McBride (and occassionally Mathis lolz) was dangerous. Now our defense straight sucks, our midfield is good on its day, our forwards suck and Donovan and Dempsey aren't going to be around tooooo much longer to help them out. Beasley and Donovan didn't really capitalize on their full potential, Donovan because he was too much of a pussy for Europe earlier in his career and is now stuck in the MLS and Beasley because of injury. A lot of the young talent that I see hyped on this board are in reality no names playing in a total crap league or the dredges of Europe.

I can see the concern. Especially compared to Mexico.

Real talk: we've still haven't topped the 2002 World Cup team. Quarterfinals, terrible handball call away from possible Semis. Our defense was average, our midfield with Claudio Reyna above average (despite dv7 hating him), our attack with Beasley, Donovan, and McBride (and occassionally Mathis lolz) was dangerous. Now our defense straight sucks, our midfield is good on its day, our forwards suck and Donovan and Dempsey aren't going to be around tooooo much longer to help them out. Beasley and Donovan didn't really capitalize on their full potential, Donovan because he was too much of a pussy for Europe earlier in his career and is now stuck in the MLS and Beasley because of injury. A lot of the young talent that I see hyped on this board are in reality no names playing in a total crap league or the dredges of Europe.

I can see the concern. Especially compared to Mexico.

Real talk: we were a South Korea goal against a 9 man Portugal that they didn't need from not advancing from the group stage.

We are worse today than we were in 2002. That 2002 team was pretty solid.

Now there is talent coming through, but it is still to be seen how good that talent is. No "wonderkids" are out there for us like they are for other countries.

Agudelo or Neymar? Not even sd3 would take Neymar over him.

Real talk: we were a South Korea goal against a 9 man Portugal that they didn't need from not advancing from the group stage.

lolololololol and real talk we advanced on 5 points after scoring a last ditch goal against freaking Algeria to go through this time around only to look terrible against Ghana and get bounced. We barely advanced out of a group with England, Algeria, and Slovenia. Which to me, advancing is all that matters, but if you're going to try and count the way we advanced against the 02 team...

Last edited:

Now there is talent coming through, but it is still to be seen how good that talent is. No "wonderkids" are out there for us like they are for other countries.

I think the issue is that the 2002 team might well beat our current team, but our organizational depth is much, much better now than it was. Thus, it feels like we're headed in the right direction.

Never have been. I'm fine with that, as we don't really need another Freddy Adu getting blown out of proportion.

The point is that looking at the results of one tournament to determine that the team is moving backwards is stupid, since at times unrelated activity can affect another team's outcome.

Back