• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Coaching in this country still sucks for the most part, too.

Too many coaches and too many parents worry about Ws and Ls when kids are just learning the game instead of teaching them technique, positioning, tactics, patience, etc etc.

It's just this bullshit "put the fastest kid at striker and kick it long so he can beat everyone to the ball and score, yay!" mentality. It is enraging. My nephew's club (he is 10) has the players rotate around every position and try to pass the ball around. They win about half the time, but on talent alone they should win more. Why don't they? Because they are focused on improving as players and not just doing 1 on 1 bullshit that only teaches them the wrong things as players like the other clubs do. It also hurts their chances to win when they put a natural defender up top or vice versa, but at least the kid is learning to play outside his comfort zone. Then parents bitch to the coaches because the team isn't winning enough! They are 10 fucking years old, who cares!??!

They don't even keep score for youth games in Brazil until the kids are at least teenagers, because the focus isn't winning and losing then. It's developing. We need more of that here in the US.

This x 10000000000. The fact that there are State Cups and other tournaments for even 9 and 10 year olds is ridiculous. Let the kids play and learn how to evade pressure, and step in to show how to improve that when they need that pointer.

Unfortunately our culture isn't going to allow that to happen anytime soon. Maybe once this current generation of younger players retires we might be able to have a deeper coaching pool, but it's probably going to even lag behind the actual quality of players for a while.

This x 10000000000. The fact that there are State Cups and other tournaments for even 9 and 10 year olds is ridiculous. Let the kids play and learn how to evade pressure, and step in to show how to improve that when they need that pointer.

Unfortunately our culture isn't going to allow that to happen anytime soon. Maybe once this current generation of younger players retires we might be able to have a deeper coaching pool, but it's probably going to even lag behind the actual quality of players for a while.

As the parent of a pre-Academy (U14) player, I can tell you that, at our club, no one plays route 1 soccer. My son's a left back and he's as skilled a passer as any midfielder on his team. They play the right way...I've definitely been impressed with his development since our club went the Academy route. Regardless of what happens down the road, he understands the game better than players even five or ten years ago.

Beat Spain 2-0
Draw England 1-1
Draw Argentina 0-0
Draw Argentina 1-1
Lose to Brazil 2-3
Beat Egypt 3-0

Just a few of our biggest games in the past 2 years against the powerhouse teams I could remember. Egypt not really a powerhouse but ACON champion so I included them. You can't tell me were not progressing without me laughing at you.

No I didn't, that's what you wanted to read. I said he can improve in those areas, not that he wasn't good to begin with. I'm beginning to wonder if you watch the games, because he was also easily our best on the ball defender Tuesday as well. There's a difference in saying someone has room to improve and that they aren't good.

If that were true

1) he'd already be an automatic first choice starter for us
2) he'd be in Europe

Coaching in this country still sucks for the most part, too.

Too many coaches and too many parents worry about Ws and Ls when kids are just learning the game instead of teaching them technique, positioning, tactics, patience, etc etc.

It's just this bullshit "put the fastest kid at striker and kick it long so he can beat everyone to the ball and score, yay!" mentality. It is enraging. My nephew's club (he is 10) has the players rotate around every position and try to pass the ball around. They win about half the time, but on talent alone they should win more. Why don't they? Because they are focused on improving as players and not just doing 1 on 1 bullshit that only teaches them the wrong things as players like the other clubs do. It also hurts their chances to win when they put a natural defender up top or vice versa, but at least the kid is learning to play outside his comfort zone. Then parents bitch to the coaches because the team isn't winning enough! They are 10 fucking years old, who cares!??!

They don't even keep score for youth games in Brazil until the kids are at least teenagers, because the focus isn't winning and losing then. It's developing. We need more of that here in the US.

QFT

Beat Spain 2-0
Draw England 1-1
Draw Argentina 0-0
Draw Argentina 1-1
Lose to Brazil 2-3
Beat Egypt 3-0

Just a few of our biggest games in the past 2 years against the powerhouse teams I could remember. Egypt not really a powerhouse but ACON champion so I included them. You can't tell me were not progressing without me laughing at you.

Argentina- Two draws in friendlies. Blown out 4-1 in the Copa America. PROGRESS!
Spain- good result
England- congrats, we tied a mediocre English squad
Brazil- losing to them isn't progress. A loss is a loss. And to be equally as ridiculous as this generic response from you, we beat them in 98.
Egypt- not a good team. We also lost to an African team in the World Cup.

So the best on the ball defender in a tuesday night friendly against Paraguay has to play in Europe?!? New news to me

Did you not read gsterps post? That's what I was responding to. He said he's good at everything, including on the ball defender. So why is he not playing in Europe?

Argentina- Two draws in friendlies. Blown out 4-1 in the Copa America. PROGRESS!
Spain- good result
England- congrats, we tied a mediocre English squad
Brazil- losing to them isn't progress. A loss is a loss. And to be equally as ridiculous as this generic response from you, we beat them in 98.
Egypt- not a good team. We also lost to an African team in the World Cup.

Not worth arguing with you if you're making "points" like this.

Not worth arguing with you if you're making "points" like this.

But tossing out random good results, ignoring any results that sucked during the same time period, like getting blown the fuck out by Italy in that Confed cup, or getting blown out by Costa Rica, is legit? Come on now. Like I even said in my response, I was responding to a ridiculous post with another ridiculous post.

Beating Spain 2-0 in a major competition after they won the euro and eventually the world cup. No big deal.

In friendlies. If you think friendlies are a big deal then that's your right. The rest of the world disagrees, but you are certainly free to have that opinion.

Oh so their players get worse if the word friendly is in the title? I understand

Oh so their players get worse if the word friendly is in the title? I understand

Players often don't try as hard, and often spend the entire time trying to avoid injury during friendlies. Especially friendlies during international break. Especially friendlies a week before Champions League. Friendlies also are often experimental lineups and experimental tactics. In Argentina's case that is definitely true.

But tossing out random good results, ignoring any results that sucked during the same time period, like getting blown the fuck out by Italy in that Confed cup, or getting blown out by Costa Rica, is legit? Come on now. Like I even said in my response, I was responding to a ridiculous post with another ridiculous post.

Well, you haven't made any real points at all yet.

Tim Ream isn't good because he isn't playing in Europe yet isn't really much of a point. You realize that almost all players from the Americas pretty much start their careers in their home regions before they move to Europe, right? Even if they're excellent, can't miss type players.

For instance, Carlos Tevez played in South America for 6 years before he went to Europe. Does that mean he wasn't that good simply because he hadn't made the move yet?

There is a lag time between a player increasing in skill and his move to a bigger league or club. (There's also a lag time the other way too.)

Back