• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Jozy caps 33 goals 10
Vela caps 33 goals 9
Dos Santos caps 35 goals 6

Does it say something about our youth setup that by far the best American was trained by Parma and plays for Italy?

Would have been amazing, obviously, but I can see the allure there...despite not making an Italian national team that blew dong in South Africa.

Vela has more goals in 4 games at West Brom after going on loan than Altidore had all year at Hull last season iirc

Gio's career is just getting untracked after stagnating big time as he's now getting consistent playing time in La Liga

We'll see, I like Jozy, I'm hopeful for him, but I don't know if he's ever gonna get it. Crossing my fingers on him. Losing his place on the team not to Nilmar or Rossi but to Marco Ruben is concerning. As is that he hasn't improved much if at all the past couple years. He still occasionally beasts for the NT though

As the parent of a pre-Academy (U14) player, I can tell you that, at our club, no one plays route 1 soccer. My son's a left back and he's as skilled a passer as any midfielder on his team. They play the right way...I've definitely been impressed with his development since our club went the Academy route. Regardless of what happens down the road, he understands the game better than players even five or ten years ago.

Your kid does NMSC, right?

Wait a tick. Tim Ream is 23? That isn't young for a footballer. On the "young-ish" tick for a defender, but he isn't going to improve that much going forward in many areas apart from positional awareness.

At 6'1" he is a decent height, but that isn't an advantage over any random CB.

His frame isn't that big so I'm not sure where any added weight will go without slowing him down, and he isn't a speedster right now anyway.

People really should not get their hopes up over Tim Ream. Parkhurst was better on the ball, btw. We see where that got him. (Albeit 3 or so inches shorter and a lot of pounds lighter than Ream.)

Just for the record, I only brought up Convey in the context of starting a different discussion about our wonderful left back situation. I certainly didn't and don't think that he's going to be our answer to the Evra's and Cole's of the world, just that he might be our actual best of a questionable (to be kind) lot at the moment.

To be fair to Tim Ream, 23 for a player that's come up in our system is not the same as 23 for a kid that's been in a professional environment since they were 13 like Rossi, or others that are developed in other countries. The unfortunate fact is that many of our players are 3 or 4 years behind their counterparts when they go to college rather than start playing professionally at the age of 17. McBride at 23 was a year or two removed from St. Louis U. and nowhere near the player that became a captain at Fulham. When Ream's experience and savvy catches up with his talent, he could be as good a central defender as we've had.

To be fair to Tim Ream, 23 for a player that's come up in our system is not the same as 23 for a kid that's been in a professional environment since they were 13 like Rossi, or others that are developed in other countries. The unfortunate fact is that many of our players are 3 or 4 years behind their counterparts when they go to college rather than start playing professionally at the age of 17. McBride at 23 was a year or two removed from St. Louis U. and nowhere near the player that became a captain at Fulham. When Ream's experience and savvy catches up with his talent, he could be as good a central defender as we've had.

Bingo. This was the post I was about to type. American players seem to develop later than European players who have been in a professional environment since they were 12.

If they develop later then they don't develop as far. Another problem I have. If we want to become elite then we really need to do an academy system. It's football and school. That's it.

That won't ever fly in this country though.

As long as kids keep being told that soccer is Americas 4th sport it will stay that way

Nobody has said that we are moving backwards. tintin and I are claiming that we are stagnant right now.

It is hard to say that we aren't.

It's 2011. 2014 isn't that far away...yet it is. We've got some tremendous talent at the U20 level. Don't forget that.

siff, if your son plays at Overcash fields, I hate you. That stupid gravel driveway to the fields cloaked my school across the creek in debris several times. A couple times while we were playing

Back