• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

USMNT drops 3 spots to 22nd in the FIFA world rankings. Mexico up to 26th

AHHHHHH REGRESSION!!!!!1!!!!!111!!!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!111!!!!! :willynilly:

Charlie Davies- @lawsonianwonder Happy 21st Birthday Matt! Enjoy the night, be safe and smart. Bless

Yeah, I think I may have a man crush on him. Wait. No. I do have a man crush on him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/insider/news/story?id=6328562

This story appears in the April 18, 2011 issue of ESPN The Magazine.

EVEN BEFORE HE scored the tying goal for the U.S. during a high-profile friendly against Argentina on March 26, 18-year-old Juan Agudelo seemed too good to be true.

Just a month after debuting with the New York Red Bulls last October, the 6'1" forward became the first graduate of a Major League Soccer team academy to start for the national squad.

In the game, an exhibition against South Africa, he became the youngest player ever to score for the U.S. And in the Red Bulls' season opener against the Seattle Sounders last month, Agudelo split two defenders and curled a shot past veteran keeper Kasey Keller for his first MLS goal, effectively stealing the spotlight from his legendary teammate, Thierry Henry. Heady stuff. "The last six months have been pretty overwhelming," Agudelo says. "I'm really young for this."

Not that he has to remind U.S. soccer fans, who have seen unrealistic expectations beset other prodigies. Witness 21-year-old Freddy Adu, currently toiling in the obscurity of Turkey's second level. But there's reason to believe Agudelo will live up to the hype. Like fellow U.S. forward Jozy Altidore, he has the size to hold off the toughest center backs. And Agudelo, who learned the game in Colombia before moving with his family to New Jersey at age 8, already boasts sharper technique and a defter touch than the 21-year-old Altidore. Best of all, he is a ruthless finisher. "He puts so much pressure on himself," says Henry, the French striker who befriended Agudelo after arriving from FC Barcelona last July. "Now everyone expects him to be great, and he'll have to deal with it."

Of course, Red Bulls coach Hans Backe is quick to provide a reality check. "Juan still has a lot to learn in one-on-one situations," Backe says. "We tell him, Try to hold onto the ball. Don't just flick it away. He's becoming much more involved now and controlling the game better."

As a result, Agudelo may well land a starting job for the U.S. at June's CONCACAF Gold Cup, the regional championship that also serves as a qualifying tournament for the 2013 Confederations Cup. Meanwhile, the Red Bulls are already fielding offers from European clubs. "I have to see how I compare with the players over there," Agudelo says. "When I feel ready, I'll go."

MLS fans, catch him while you can.

Lippi: "I'm returning to coaching, but it won't be in Italy. I'm waiting for the right offer from abroad, club or national team."

FIRE BOB BRADLEY IMMEDIATELY!

Sad news.

Anyone here going to US - Spain @ Gilette on June 4th?

Sad news.

Anyone here going to US - Spain @ Gilette on June 4th?

Nope. Girlfriend had me tickets and a hotel for my birthday, then found out I couldn't get off work that Friday the day before :( so now I have a pair of sunglasses and no tickets.

Bedoya scores again. We have a few guys out there that are tearing it up at the moment

Nope. Girlfriend had me tickets and a hotel for my birthday, then found out I couldn't get off work that Friday the day before :( so now I have a pair of sunglasses and no tickets.

what type of sunglasses? I'm a designer sunglasses fiend

Haven't had much discussion on here lately. I'll start:

Gold Cup- Charlie Davies, in or out?

Back