• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

siff,

A few weeks ago I scored the two most memorable goals of my career.

Maybe they weren't the prettiest goals, maybe they weren't World Cup clinchers, but they were still huge for me. They were my first goals since coming back from an accident that had many questioning if I'd ever play again.

After sustaining major injuries, I basically had to teach my body how to walk again, and how to function.

But with each passing week, I felt my body growing stronger -- from the hospital bed to the wheelchair to the crutches, from walking to jogging to sprinting -- I kept the faith and pushed myself to the limit.

Finally, after a year and a half, I stepped on the field with D.C. United and felt that feeling that I had been longing for. It was something I'll never forget -- I had made it back.

The first goal of my comeback was on a penalty kick. After the ref blew the whistle, I looked at our captain Dax McCarty for the nod. He handed me the ball and said four words I'll never forget: "We believe in you."

The final whistle blew and I had scored two goals. I looked over at our fans and felt incredible support. I realized how far I'd come and was overwhelmed with emotion. I couldn't have imagined a better return.

That's my story, but now I want to hear yours. What was your most memorable goal? What made it so special?

Tell your story here, and it may be featured on the MLS website or on the big screen at an upcoming MLS game.

Whether it was a goal scored by you or your favorite player, whether you saw it in person or on TV, I want to know why it mattered to you. Sometimes the goals that seem so ordinary are the ones that mean the most.

Share your story here:

http://fans.mlssoccer.com/goal

-- Charlie Davies

P.S. Please watch me go for another memorable goal tomorrow night (Thursday, April 21) when D.C. United takes on the New York Red Bulls live on ESPN2 at 8:00 p.m. ET.

siff,

A few weeks ago I scored the two most memorable goals of my career.

Maybe they weren't the prettiest goals, maybe they weren't World Cup clinchers, but they were still huge for me. They were my first goals since coming back from an accident that had many questioning if I'd ever play again.

After sustaining major injuries, I basically had to teach my body how to walk again, and how to function.

But with each passing week, I felt my body growing stronger -- from the hospital bed to the wheelchair to the crutches, from walking to jogging to sprinting -- I kept the faith and pushed myself to the limit.

Finally, after a year and a half, I stepped on the field with D.C. United and felt that feeling that I had been longing for. It was something I'll never forget -- I had made it back.

The first goal of my comeback was on a penalty kick. After the ref blew the whistle, I looked at our captain Dax McCarty for the nod. He handed me the ball and said four words I'll never forget: "We believe in you."

The final whistle blew and I had scored two goals. I looked over at our fans and felt incredible support. I realized how far I'd come and was overwhelmed with emotion. I couldn't have imagined a better return.

That's my story, but now I want to hear yours. What was your most memorable goal? What made it so special?

Tell your story here, and it may be featured on the MLS website or on the big screen at an upcoming MLS game.

Whether it was a goal scored by you or your favorite player, whether you saw it in person or on TV, I want to know why it mattered to you. Sometimes the goals that seem so ordinary are the ones that mean the most.

Share your story here:

http://fans.mlssoccer.com/goal

-- Charlie Davies

P.S. Please watch me go for another memorable goal tomorrow night (Thursday, April 21) when D.C. United takes on the New York Red Bulls live on ESPN2 at 8:00 p.m. ET.

legit

Herculez Gomez scores again today. I could make an argument to keep Jozy off the gold cup roster. Idk if that's good or bad

For the Gold Cup I think 4 are in and 1 is left out:

Agudelo
Altidore
Bunbury
Davies
Gomez

Donovan with his first goal since the Ghana (that hurts to type) match. A PK vs Portland

Official CONCACAF qualifying proposal was sent to FIFA. If approved, a max of 16 games for us. Basically the same format as last time, just without the first home and home series.

Also, officially started talks with my friends today about planning for Brazil!:dancindeac:

Also, officially started talks with my friends today about planning for Brazil!:dancindeac:

Count me in. I've saved 1,656.84 over the past year an a half in my WC2014 fund. Hopefully I can get it to around 3000 by 2013 so I can go.

Back