• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Japan are preparing to pull out of Copa America because of problems with player availability. Official statement on Friday

BREAKING: FIFA writes to FA to request report of Lord Triesman's comments and to Sunday Times to request evidence of corruption

"I never asked anybody for anything," Warner told Trinidad newspaper Newsday. "When these guys [England] came here, we promised to help. I showed them a place where they can put a playground. They promised to come back but they never did."

Say wha?

Jack Warner, in an attempt to defend himself from allegations that he solicited bribes

Less than a month until the Panama match in Tampa!!! yeahhhhhh lets gooooooooo

My daughter's HS team has a huge 2nd round playoff game with Charlotte Catholic tomorrow night. Her assistant principal came to her team dinner tonight and delivered what was described as a killer pep talk. My daughter just tweeted one of things he shared with the team:

"Most people think it's a football stadium, but we all know it's a soccer field" :)

Last edited:
Time to go twitter stalk siffteen, I keed siff I keed. Best of luck to her and her team!

Ha ha, sd...thanks for the good luck wish. Should be a great game. #3 v #9 in the state! Too bad it's a second round game...it's more like a final four or eight matchup. Can't wait to see it

This POS is just unreal...

Dear readers of Gazzetta dello Sport,

What is this really about? In the case of FIFA's presidential elections we are not really talking about candidate A versus candidate B, but about whether in future there will be candidates at all. The election of 1 June could cause a tectonic movement with irreversible damage. What is at stake is nothing less than the survival of FIFA. The issue of whether this world footballing organisation, developed with success over the years, will continue to exist after this date or, whether it will instead be sucked into a black hole.

"Is the situation really that dramatic?" you ask. The answer is yes, in theory it is. I am confident I will be able to win the elections with a clear majority of two-thirds of the votes. South America, North America, Europe, Oceania and a considerable part of Africa and Asia will continue to support my ideas. However it is still worth considering what the alternative would be: no one.

A world organisation like FIFA can only be run with a pyramid structure. For this reason, I am often accused of acting in an anti-democratic way. And yet the truth is quite the opposite. Whether you are talking about Italy or Papua New Guinea, every one of the 208 associations has one vote and equal rights. In fact I should be accused of practicing extreme democratic thought - only this way is it possible to guarantee the universality of football, the decision-making power, however, can and must be exercised on a central level, as in any international group.

Football works because it is based on one rule of play that is shared and valid on every continent. If it was not this way, everyone would do what they liked. To put it another way: who would decide which rules to impose if the decision-making powers were delegated to the six confederations? The principle that every carpenter goes by is valid for us too: the roof will do its job only as long as the foundations are doing theirs. If the ground slides, the whole building will fall down. And this is what 11 June is about: all or nothing!

Cordially,

Sepp Blatter

D.C. United’s Charlie Davies discusses possible U.S. national team return
By Steven Goff
With U.S. Coach Bob Bradley scheduled to attend, D.C. United forward Charlie Davies, MLS’s scoring leader with six goals, could take a big step toward returning to the national team Saturday night against the reigning champion Colorado Rapids at RFK Stadium.

“That was my whole goal coming here, to make the Gold Cup roster after the letdown for the World Cup,” Davies said Friday. “I’ve worked extremely hard to get to where I am now. I feel ready, confident and I’m going to go into the same way.”

Davies has not spoken with Bradley since the MLS season started.

“I just know that before the season started, he told me that he’d be watching closely. I know he’s done his homework on every single game I have been a part of.”

Said DCU Coach Ben Olsen: “Charlie’s focus right now should be solely here, and if he continues to do what he’s been doing here, his shot with that will take care of itself. You don’t get there by focusing on those long-term goals. It’s here and now for him and continually getting better. He has made good strides and the goal with Charlie is to make him a better player than he was before because he’s going to be more well-rounded. You see a little bit of that. He is going to challenge himself and he knows we, as a coaching staff, are not going to stop until he gets to where he wants to be.”

Hahahaha so CD9 goal is USMNT. And Olsen says DCU is what he's there for. Lol get a grip Olsen

Hahahaha so CD9 goal is USMNT. And Olsen says DCU is what he's there for. Lol get a grip Olsen

Wait, you're telling me that a player that has played in a top 5 league in Europe doesn't view playing at DC United as a lofty goal?

Mind BLOWN!!11!!

I'd say that over 50% of the people that have tuned into DCU matches this season have done so solely to watch CD9. Totally made up stat, but I'll stand by it.

I don't think those statements are as mutually exclusive as you do. Davies has his long term goals of making it back to the national team, but to do that he's going to have to achieve in DC. I don't think Olsen is wrong, because helping United win is also Davies's short term goal, because winning and him playing well are most likely highly correlated.

Back