• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Why anyone is surprised by Bornstein's selection is beyond me. Bradley has made it clear time and time again that he values Bornstein's left foot and his speed and athleticism ahead of every other option at that spot other than Boca. And while we all know that Bornstein can be terrible at times, Bradley was vindicated in his faith in Bornstein by how well Bornstein played in the world cup. Given our awful lack of options at left back, if we can get those same types of performances from Bornstein this summer, where he makes no glaring errors and provides some attacking support on the left side, I'd be more than happy with that.

There is no one else other than Boca

GOALKEEPERS-Tim Howard, Nick Rimando, Marcus Hahnemann

DEFENDERS- Jonathan Spector, Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Oguchi Onyewu, Eric Lichaj, Tim Ream, Jonathan Bornstein, Clarence Goodson,

MIDFIELDERS- Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Sacha Kljestan, Robbie Rogers, Freddy Adu, Benny Feilhaber, Jermaine Jones

FORWARDS- Juan Agudelo, Chris Wondolowski, Jozy Altidore

Confused. Spector oughta be listed at CM.

is everyone still firmly in the Bradley should start no matter what camp after getting axed from his parent club and getting no pt at Villa?

Edit: I think I'm right that he still hasn't cracked the lineup. Don't know for sure though

is everyone still firmly in the Bradley should start no matter what camp after getting axed from his parent club and getting no pt at Villa?

Not necessarily. I'm hoping we play the 4-2-3-1. Two of Edu/Bradley/Jones. (Feilhaber/Adu/) between Dempsey and Donovan.

Bradley had 2 or 3 sub appearances, but for limited minutes. I think his only start was with a "B" squad in the FA Cup or something. But I want whoever is playing best in practice/friendlies.

Don't know where Spector fits in. He could play as one of the DM which would allow Bradley to move into a more CAM role. Haven't seen him play that in a long time though.

Last edited:
I never knew people hated Kid Bradley so much until i glanced at the BigSoccer forums.

personally i'm still in the Bradley + Jones/Edu camp for now at least.

I don't hate him but I think he's overrated by some and I have a disposition towards creative mids. So I'm not anti-Bradley but in an ideal world we'd have at least one creative center mid playing

People hate Michael Bradley?????? WTF???

First people claimed he was too hot headed and liable to pick up a red card at any time. Now he's not good enough since he wasn't playing at Aston Villa. Of course he never even had a chance to prove himself there...but I guess that doesn't matter to them. No clue why he is disliked as much as he is. He's been solid for our national team.

First people claimed he was too hot headed and liable to pick up a red card at any time. Now he's not good enough since he wasn't playing at Aston Villa. Of course he never even had a chance to prove himself there...but I guess that doesn't matter to them. No clue why he is disliked as much as he is. He's been solid for our national team.

It wasnt exactly smart of him to essentially say fuck you to the fans for being passionate after the Confed Cup

I don't hate him but I think he's overrated by some and I have a disposition towards creative mids. So I'm not anti-Bradley but in an ideal world we'd have at least one creative center mid playing

I like creative mids, but as a total package we dont really have a CM better than Bradley.

my 0.02.

Edit: I think I'm right that he still hasn't cracked the lineup. Don't know for sure though

Yes 100%. My biggest USMNT peeve is Michael Bradley haters.

Baby Bradley is our best all around CM. Jones and Edu are both better as holding mids.

None of our more "creative" CMs have enough tactical nous to be relied upon in a 4-4-2.

Adu getting called up over Mix or Bedoya. WTF?????????????

That being said its a pretty predictable lineup outside of Chandler not getting called up. He better still be playing for the good guys, not the Nazis.

So our Starting XI would be?????????

I guess it will be pretty similar to:

Howard, Dolo, Gooch, Boca, Bornstein, Jones, Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan, Altidore, Agudelo/Wondo

Something tells me that without Holden, Bob doesn't trust us playing the 4-2-3-1 and we revert back to the 4-4-2

Also I really wish we could find a way to have Edu be a full time CB. He always seems to be the odd man out at CM and he just seems like he would be a stud CB if he ever got the proper match/training prep.

Adu getting called up over Mix or Bedoya. WTF?????????????

That being said its a pretty predictable lineup outside of Chandler not getting called up. He better still be playing for the good guys, not the Nazis.

So our Starting XI would be?????????

I guess it will be pretty similar to:

Howard, Dolo, Gooch, Boca, Bornstein, Jones, Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan, Altidore, Agudelo/Wondo

Something tells me that without Holden, Bob doesn't trust us playing the 4-2-3-1 and we revert back to the 4-4-2

What has Mixx done that Adu hasn't? Bedoya is a different story however

What has Mixx done that Adu hasn't? Bedoya is a different story however

He starts for a team in a European first division and has impressed in a US friendly in the last 3 years.

However now that I think about it both Mix (One X Bro) and Bedoya both play in Scandinavian leagues that play through the summer, so that could have something to do with it. However since a couple MLSers are on the team that don't make no sense.

He starts for a team in a European first division and has impressed in a US friendly in the last 3 years.

However now that I think about it both Mix (One X Bro) and Bedoya both play in Scandinavian leagues that play through the summer, so that could have something to do with it. However since a couple MLSers are on the team that don't make no sense.

Meh if by impressed you mean against South Africas A/B squad then yeah I guess so. Adu has been scoring goals and has a few assists (yes I know its a crappier league). And yeah the Scandinavian leagues probably don't care anything about the gold cup like the MLS does.

Also I really wish we could find a way to have Edu be a full time CB. He always seems to be the odd man out at CM and he just seems like he would be a stud CB if he ever got the proper match/training prep.

I rate Edu higher as a holding mid than J Jones. :couch:

Meh if by impressed you mean against South Africas A/B squad then yeah I guess so. Adu has been scoring goals and has a few assists (yes I know its a crappier league). And yeah the Scandinavian leagues probably don't care anything about the gold cup like the MLS does.

I guess there's an argument to me made there but I have to retort that Adu is worthless unless the team is built around him. He can only play one position effectively, the CAM role, because he doesn't have the pace for the wings and the bite to play in the middle. And with him being the 20-23rd best player on that roster, and us lacking a forward who can play up top by himself effectively, that's not gonna happen.

In theory the front four of Donovan (RM), Dempsey (LM), Adu (CAM) and Jozy (ST) would be amazing but neither Jozy or Adu is ready to play alone up top at this level.

Last edited:
Back