• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I think we're on the same page then. I'm trying to say that the MLS may be demanding $7 mil as a transfer for Landon, but any reasonable European team only wants to spend $3-4 mil.

Is that what you're trying to say?

Do y'all mean US Dollars, Euros, or Pounds?

You showed the US Dollar sign, but no chance that is what y'all meant with those figures.

I thought last summer MLS was looking for 10-12 million pounds. And rumors had some teams willing to pay around 7-8.

Those numbers make more sense for Landon.

Hell, Timmay was sold for 2.3 mil pounds, which is over 4 mil US

Do y'all mean US Dollars, Euros, or Pounds?

You showed the US Dollar sign, but no chance that is what y'all meant with those figures.

I was pulling numbers out of my ass for example purposes. I have no idea what European teams have offered for Landon, though I think I remember Everton talking about having a 3-4 million pound bid being denied, or something like that. I could be remembering that wrongly. I'm sure the Toffees around here know.

Not sure if you've been following the Landon situation siff, but I don't think it's really his choice. The believe the MLS has routinely turned down offers for him, and clubs aren't going to spend THAT much money on Landon. He's paid quite well in the MLS as it stands.

I understand, TD10. However, if LD wanted to go to Italy, or Spain, wherever, he'd be allowed to go. He just doesn't want to. He wants to be in LA. It bums me out because he doesn't seem to have the drive to challenge himself. That's what separates the best of the best from the really good players. It's too bad.

I understand, TD10. However, if LD wanted to go to Italy, or Spain, wherever, he'd be allowed to go. He just doesn't want to. He wants to be in LA. It bums me out because he doesn't seem to have the drive to challenge himself. That's what separates the best of the best from the really good players. It's too bad.

He wanted to close the PL season at Everton last year.

Yea, Donovan said many times that he wanted to stay at Everton, and Everton indicated that they wanted Donovan. What gives?

Yea, Donovan said many times that he wanted to stay at Everton, and Everton indicated that they wanted Donovan. What gives?

Everton didn't have near the cash to buy Donovan last summer. Not even close. I don't think we even sent an actual bid in.

As far as extending the loan, I think MLS wanted their marquee guy for more than just the post-WC part of the season.

He's not going to just be allowed to leave without either his contract running out or the league getting fair compensation for him. It's still a business.

Right. I think Tuffalo and I are on the same page here. Donovan may be a total puss that wants to stay in L.A. Then again, he may not be. Neither of these matters if he doesn't have much of a choice.

Donovan had to sign a new 4 year contract just to get loaned out. While not trying to take away the (quite possibly valid) point about his ambition, he had forfeited a LOT of leverage with MLS.

If that's the case, he has the worst agent ever. He signed an extension, as the face of MLS, he should have either put a buyout into the contract or waited a year when he knew MLS would accept any offers. I really don't think he wants to go to Europe. And anyone calling him a bitch or pussy, think about this a minute. His life is apparently exactly how he wants it. Ambition or fear doesn't matter if that's the case. Maybe he actually likes life more than career, which should be celebrated.

If that's the case, he has the worst agent ever. He signed an extension, as the face of MLS, he should have either put a buyout into the contract or waited a year when he knew MLS would accept any offers. I really don't think he wants to go to Europe. And anyone calling him a bitch or pussy, think about this a minute. His life is apparently exactly how he wants it. Ambition or fear doesn't matter if that's the case. Maybe he actually likes life more than career, which should be celebrated.

Could be. Could also be that he really wanted a loan deal abroad before the WC and MLS wouldn't do it for him unless he signed an extension. I dunno.

Could be. Could also be that he really wanted a loan deal abroad before the WC and MLS wouldn't do it for him unless he signed an extension. I dunno.

Agreed none of know jis/MLS' intentions. I don't even like Donovan, aside from his contributions to our national team, but I think people unfairly say what he should want from life. If he's happy with his life and has more money than anyone needs, why fuck that up?

That's cool. If LD prefers a couple of extra years in SoCal to trying to make his mark (internationally) as a soccer player, that's fine. Doesn't mean that we should ignore his lack of ambition.

The issue isn't whether or not he deserves happiness, if that's what Cali gives him. The issue is what appears to be his desire to enjoy warm weather and a year round tan instead of challenging himself and the ability God's given him. He can live in Cali the rest of his life. He can't play soccer at the highest level much longer.

I care about what he does for our National Team. IDGAF where he plays his club soccer.

Back