• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Ham-FIT!

hamsik1.jpg

Mohamed Bin Hammam requests that ethics committee extends its investigation to include Sepp Blatter.

the-shit-hit-the-fan.jpg

Gold Cup Contest

All for the bragging rights baby.

Rules:

1. Have your selections PM to me by noon of the opening day

2. Be clear about who you pick and what spot they are in

3. Every entry must degrade Mexico in some way

4. Tiebreaker is number of goals scored in the tournament

5. Make sure to indicate which two 3rd place group teams will move on

6. Scoring:

Group Play- If you correctly pick a nation to advance, and its in the correct spot you picked, you score 2 points (ie. USA to finish 1st in group C, and they do, you would score 2 points, if they finish 2nd, you would only score 1 point)

Quarter Finals- Every correct pick will score 4 points, having a team move on but in the incorrect spot will score you 2.

SemiFinals- Each correct pick will score 6 points

Championship- 8 Points

Group A
Mexico
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Cuba

Group B
Honduras
Guatemala
Jamaica
Grenada

Group C
USA
Canada
Panama
Guadelope

Quarter Finals
A2 vs B2
A1 vs B3 or C3

B1 vs C2
C1 vs A3 or B3

Semi Finals
Winners of RED Games

Winners of BLUE Games

Championship
Winner of RED vs Winner of BLUE

Last edited:
Remember when the FIFA ExCo members were going after The Times for their scandal expose over the winter saying it wasn't good for the game?

Now the only two men running for FIFA President are accusing each other of scandal. Awesome.

I'm only one who thinks this FIFA investigation is going to lead to nothing. It's all gonna get swept under the rug, like always.

I used to be 100% convinced it would go nowhere. But now there is bad blood between high ranking officials that loose lips could surface to sink ships.

DV7 include what 3rd place teams will go through. 8 teams advance to the quarters. The top 2 teams in each group and the top 2 third place teams. Confusing I know. I list the schedule in the OP to aid.

U.S. national team buzz (unconfirmed): Columbus MF Eddie Gaven turned down invitation for family reasons -- first child #usmn

No way that's true

Who would Gaven have been ahead of on the roster? Klejstan? Not likely. I once thought Gaven had potential to be pretty good but he's never really been anything more than a third tier guy for the Nats.

He's easily a better player than Rogers, although at different midfield positions. Both are end of the bench guys on this roster anyway, so I'm not too troubled either way.

Without any premier league games to watch this morning, I subjected myself to the US-Ghana game for the first time since watching it live. A few thoughts:

1- As bad as Clark's turnover was, Demerit didn't close Boateng down quickly enough and Howard was far too easily beat at his near post. Not excusing Clark but that goal is on all 3 of them.

2- Boca and Gyan are side by side before Gyan's goal, but Boca let Gyan get possession on the ball and find space to fire it home. Boca simply got abused by Gyan. And Howard, with his shot stopping ability, has to do better on Gyan's shot, which practically went right over his head. He's a terrific keeper but he simply didn't have a good game.

3- We played an excellent second half and should have put more than one on the board, and even when we were struggling in the first half, we created an excellent chance which Findley failed to convert. Ghana to its credit, buried two of the few good chances they created for themselves, while we lacked the same kind of clinical finishing.

4- Dempsey was class all game, and Feilhaber was excellent after coming on at half time. Just why Benny hasn't done better for himself on the club level is beyond me.

5-Bornstein had himself a really solid game defensively and even provided decent service in the box a couple of times.

Back