• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

DeadHorse.gif

MB should tell the media to stick it up their asses.

I bet BigSoccer jerked it to that article

Last edited:
I'd be all for seeing how Edu and Jones play together against Espana. If they somehow impress, then we can talk about sitting Bradley who has been nothing short of spectacular in the last 2 or 3 years for the NT.

Thanks for the Timmy video, siff. Love his words about Everton.

I'd be all for seeing how Edu and Jones play together against Espana. If they somehow impress, then we can talk about sitting Bradley who has been nothing short of spectacular in the last 2 or 3 years for the NT.

I'd be fine with this too, but that's mostly because it would mean Bradley would be well rested for Canada, which I place about 100000x more importance on than the Spain friendly. I'd be fine really if we played a B team, even though I know that won't happen.

Some more goodies for my fellow Timmay lovers. From ESPN Insider.

CARY, N.C. -- It's no coincidence that the Gold Cup final on June 25 was scheduled for the 92,000-capacity Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif.

CONCACAF, which rarely gets anything right, knows that the presumptive U.S.-Mexico final can sell the joint out twice over. (And there's nothing soccer's governing bodies like more than piles of cold hard cash.)

It would be a dream matchup for fans of both national teams, for sure, but forgive U.S. coach Bob Bradley for not looking too far ahead.

"The last two Gold Cup finals were USA-Mexico, and there's the rivalry between the teams, so it's something that gets talked about a lot [by fans and media]," Bradley told us here earlier this week. "Certainly, it's not something we can think about too much yet."

U.S. keeper Tim Howard agrees -- sort of.

"We only look ahead to the final in L.A. because that's our goal," Howard says. "We do it in a healthy way, not because we're dismissing Canada, Panama or Guadeloupe. It's going to be a tough road, and if we don't prepare properly, we won't get there."

Still, beating a full-strength El Tri and qualifying for the next Confederations Cup in front of what would be a huge, heavily pro-Mexican crowd at the Rose Bowl -- site of the 12 highest-attended soccer games ever in the United States dating to the 1984 Olympics -- remains the ultimate carrot.

"As a U.S. player, you measure yourself by how you play in the games against Mexico," Howard says. "I try to explain the rivalry to people back in England, on my team, just how crazy and passionate it is. When you're not Mexican or American, it's hard to appreciate because there are so many great rivalries around the world. But it's up there with the biggest and most heated."

Although beating Mexico is on Howard's mind, it isn't the only thing. The 32-year-old already is mulling life after soccer, as he has no plans to play into his 40s like compatriot and fellow Premier Leaguer Brad Friedel.

"I don't want to play that long," he says. "I have other goals outside of the playing field."

Like what?

"Definitely not coaching. I'd like to be in a front office, wearing a suit. I still have a passion for the game, and, at that stage, I'll have had the experience to learn a new trade."

Howard adds that he would like to take that next step in MLS, not Europe, where he has spent the past five years with Everton. He has three years left on his contract there and hopes to see it out. That would take him to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, when he'll be 35. Don't be surprised to see Howard go out on top.

Notes
• Jonathan Spector has played left back occasionally in his six Premier League seasons and often is mentioned as a candidate for the hard-to-fill spot on the U.S. team. But coach Bob Bradley hasn't really tried him there, and now maybe we know why.

"It's not my favorite position by any means," Spector told us Monday. "If I'm asked to play there, I'll be more than willing to. But if I had my choice of position, that certainly wouldn't be it."

• Maurice Edu has been back on Twitter with a vengeance since the Scottish season ended last month. "I'm making up for lost time," says Mo, who, along with the rest of his Rangers teammates, was prohibited from using the social media site by club manager Walter Smith. Would coach Bradley ever consider such a move?

"We've talked about Twitter for a long time," Bradley says. "From a team standpoint it's just important they understand that there are things that go on inside a team that needs to be kept on the inside. There's been no major issues to speak of."

Still, Bradley isn't a fan. "I agree a lot with Sir Alex on this one," he says of the Manchester United boss, who also might consider a ban. "I think it's a waste of time."

• Backup keeper Marcus Hahnemann turns 39 on June 15 but has made just nine appearances for the U.S. since winning his first cap way back in 1994. What keeps him coming back to the national team?

"We have a great group of guys, and it's always a nice break from your club team. It makes the game fresh again," he says.

"Now, if you're asking if I'd like to be up in my cabin fishing every day, I mean yeah, I wanna do that. But this is more important to me. I really enjoy it. I'm getting older, and you know these opportunities aren't going to be around forever. I'll be able to fish later."

Hahnemann, who confirmed that he won't be returning to EPL club Wolverhampton next season, likes his time with the U.S. squad so much that he often can be found helping out equipment manager Jesse Bignami.

"Jesse and I are good friends, so when we're stuck in the hotel doing a lot of nothing, I'll go see what Jesse's doing. We'll hang out, listen to music -- Jesse's always got something funky playing -- and next thing you know he's got me printing up jerseys."

So, where might Hahnemann end up next season? Despite suggestions that he could replace retiring Seattle Sounders keeper Kasey Keller, the possibility of returning to the club with which he began his pro career is pure speculation at this point. "I have to talk to Sigi Schmid and the guys in Seattle to see if they actually want me first," he says, adding that a return to England, where his 10- and 12-year-old sons are settled (and have British accents), is also possible. "We'll figure it out soon."

• Get a glimpse of Howard's life across the pond in the 2011 premiere of ussoccer.com's MNT in England video series, which in the coming weeks will feature Hahnemann, Clint Dempsey, Jermaine Jones, Michael Bradley and Stuart Holden.

• Finally, check out friend of the blog Brian Sciaretta's interview with defender Steve Cherundolo over at Yanks-Abroad.com.

I'm not big on edu. Don't know why. Still open minded on him, just don't think he's a starter. Maybe it's the last set of friendlys that did it for me, he just didn't play well at all.

USA plays Spain on Saturday. hitting that match up, seeing as how I am pretty much a soccer noob, anything i should be on the lookout/excited for?

I'll be there as well, though I still haven't bought my ticket. Trying to find an extra in the American Outlaw or Sam's Army section before the game. You going to tailgate before?

And don't expect much from the match. Spain is fielding their A team and will likely be out for blood after we ruined their unbeaten streak in 2009. We could be in for a long game. But the atmosphere should be incredible, lots of Spain fans and lots of partying.

I think we will hold our own. We've played many quality sides over the past two years and never got "blown out" (Spain, Brazil the second time, Argentina, Netherlands, England)

i've decided to blame New Jersey for the Rossi choosing Italy fiasco. If it weren't such a sucky state he'd be more proud to be an American

Going to ask a dumb question, why is Landon Donovan not on the roster for the Men's team in the Gold Cup?

About to order a USMNT red jersey. Who should I get? Already have Donovan and Dempsey so pick someone new. I'm thinking Baby Bradley or Stu.

Back