• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Arda Turan FTMFW. Seriously, you wouldn't believe me if I told you I've caught his balls before, but it's true.

Iniesta has created a chance every 18 minutes so far in the Euro 2012 Qualifiers

Too good.

Few questions here:

1. About to buy some new cleats, anyone have any recommendations? Looking to spend around 80.00-120.00 and no more than that.

2. Anyone on here a keeper? My younger brother is the keeper for our summer club team so im going to order him some new gloves for his birthday. Any recommendations on a pair of keeper gloves? He wont care what they are he will just wear them and do his job (only been playing soccer 1 year, hes just a monster freak athlete that can do everything) so cheap is ok. Finger Spines are required per request of my parents since he is going to play basketball in college so I have to protect those precious fingers...

Just don't get calf leather boots. Get kangaroo leather. Such a better feel on the ball with them.

Turkey XI: Demirel; Sarıoğlu, Birinci, Çetin, Kesimal, Belözoğlu, Kazim-Richards, Turan, Şahin, Yılmaz, Inan
subs: Bolat, Zan, Senturk, Ekic, Topal , Korkmaz, Tore

Belgian XI: Mignolet, Kompany, Verthongen, Lombaerts, Alderweireld; Simons, Defour, Witsel, Hazard; Chadli, Ogunjimi
subs: J-F Gillet; Ciman, Van Buyten, Vermaelen; Dries Mertens; Vleminckx, Vossen.

So pumped about this one! Belgium on 10 points, Turkey on 9 points but have a game in hand. Neither will likely catch Germany for 1st as they are on 15 points with a perfect record and 17 goals scored while only conceding 1 so far. Sick.

Come on, Belgium!!

Last edited:
Is the UEFA Euro Cup the equivalent of the Gold Cup? I know Euro is every 4 years and Gold Cup every 2, but are they basically on the same level?

Euro Cup is better than the WC, IMO. No shit sides and quality games throughout. Miles better than the Gold Cup.

WC obviously carries more prestige than the Euros, however.

Is the UEFA Euro Cup the equivalent of the Gold Cup? I know Euro is every 4 years and Gold Cup every 2, but are they basically on the same level?

Essentially, yes. As dv7 mentioned, the quality in the European Championships is higher, but the tournaments serve the same role: a confederation championship.

Euro Cup is better than the WC, IMO. No shit sides and quality games throughout. Miles better than the Gold Cup.

WC obviously carries more prestige than the Euros, however.

I dont think the Euro is better. Maybe a higher average competition compared to the WC but the WC is much more top-heavy. You're trading the likes of Brazil, Argentina, and Uraguay for Euro teams that didn't make the WC. Like I said, the average play is much better, since there's not the crap CONCACAF and Asian sides, oh and New Zealand.

WHOA BUDDY

New Zealand was UNDEFEATED at the World Cup.

(And I was talking about the quality of play from the start to finish. Euro is more entertaining to me, personally, during the whole tournament.)

Yo Screamin did you see my idea about watching the game tomorrow on 4th Street? I wanna get a little wine drunk and then watch Team America vs. Team Tic-Toc

Last edited:
Arda Turan is brilliant. He just made that Belgian defender look like a kid. Then megged another to set up a teammate to score.

1-1

Few questions here:

1. About to buy some new cleats, anyone have any recommendations? Looking to spend around 80.00-120.00 and no more than that.

2. Anyone on here a keeper? My younger brother is the keeper for our summer club team so im going to order him some new gloves for his birthday. Any recommendations on a pair of keeper gloves? He wont care what they are he will just wear them and do his job (only been playing soccer 1 year, hes just a monster freak athlete that can do everything) so cheap is ok. Finger Spines are required per request of my parents since he is going to play basketball in college so I have to protect those precious fingers...

What size shoe do you wear, sd3? Probably a long shot, but I have a brand new pair of kangaroo leather kelme's...sweet boots, but only 8.5s. Got them at the soccer.com sale in Raleigh last year but, sadly, my son wore (at the time) a 9.5 (not to mention the fact that they're blue, and he didn't want blue boots).

Vermaelen coming on for Belgium. My guess is that they will put him at LB to try and slow down Turan who started to dominate the final 15-20 mins of the 1st half.

Back