• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I know its Spain, but that was poor defense more than good offense

Can we end all the Ream hype now? At some point "so calm on the ball! never rattled!" has to be translated as "just sluggish and languid"

Agudelo is hustling his ass off. Literally nobody else is even moving past walking pace. This is just shameful. You could put half this board out there and we'd at least fucking play hard.

Can we end all the Ream hype now? At some point "so calm on the ball! never rattled!" has to be translated as "just sluggish and languid"

I hope so. I've tried to come around on him, but always liked Omar (probably a little homerism there I admit) and George John a lot more among young MLS defenders. Other than passing the ball, I don't know what he does well. He's been well protected on NYRB with Marquez there to help.

I was only half watching on the computer (watching Norway/Portugal on the TV...1-0 in the 74'), but did we get as absolutely worked that half as it seemed?

Well, the USMNT desperately needs a CB who can play the ball out of the back comfortably - so I'm not discounting the value he could bring.

But goddamn, he looks totally lost out there. Just getting obliterated.

I was only half watching on the computer (watching Norway/Portugal on the TV...1-0 in the 74'), but did we get as absolutely worked that half as it seemed?

Even more than it seemed. Should be 4-0 barring a horrific call from a linesman to wave off a goal, and even 5-0 with any kind of luck for Spain.

As hideous as the play on the field has been, Sunil's explanation for why the US voted for Blatter is even more shameful. What a spineless, gutless, egotistical little shit he is.

"I don't think taking the moral high ground was the best option"

I hope so. I've tried to come around on him, but always liked Omar (probably a little homerism there I admit) and George John a lot more among young MLS defenders. Other than passing the ball, I don't know what he does well. He's been well protected on NYRB with Marquez there to help.

Here's my homerism: Geoff Cameron could play CB. Before his injury, he was getting call ups. He's looked kind of lame as an attacking mid in Houston's latest experiment, but I think he's actually fairly good as a defensive mid and center back. Good size. Gets stuck in. And he could certainly play the ball out the back.

Here's my homerism: Geoff Cameron could play CB. Before his injury, he was getting call ups. He's looked kind of lame as an attacking mid in Houston's latest experiment, but I think he's actually fairly good as a defensive mid and center back. Good size. Gets stuck in. And he could certainly play the ball out the back.

I think he could, but he's not going to get called by Bradley as a centerback unless Kinnear is playing him there. I think that's the big thing holding Cameron back in his career. He's so versatile that he doesn't get featured enough at any one position to make an evaluation for the international level. Kind of a Spector-ish situation.

Ream is a good MLS player but he's just not ready for this level. Count me among those who would like to see more Omar (and Ike if he can get back to his pre injury form)

As hideous as the play on the field has been, Sunil's explanation for why the US voted for Blatter is even more shameful. What a spineless, gutless, egotistical little shit he is.

"I don't think taking the moral high ground was the best option"

Eh, it was the best thing for America to do. Sepp is a horrible human and an even worse president of FIFA... but he was running unopposed and he has (generally) been a friend to the USA. What does abstaining really accomplish?

What is Ream supposed to do with the ball when the midfield is invisible?

Criticism of him is pretty harsh. He should be getting runs (like this) along with guys like Gonzalez, etc.

The US has been utterly gutless for years in terms of allowing Warner to dominate CONCACAF the way he has. Sunil is all too happy to just take it up the rear with a smile.

Back